The Student Room Group

Am I eligible for student finance?

Hello,
A couple of years back I started an undergraduate course and literally a month into the start of the course my father was diagnosed with terminal cancer and I had to leave London to care for him. He has since passed away and I really want to start a course in September 2024. The university ended up charging me for an entire year, even though I told them my situation and my student finance account is reflecting this. If I was to apply for a new course with this balance still owing will they decline my application? It is very irritating having to pay £7,000 for a course I only did a couple of weeks of, and I will be even more frustrated if it stops me obtaining further funding to actually gain a degree. Thanks for any help!
Original post by Sammy87!
Hello,
A couple of years back I started an undergraduate course and literally a month into the start of the course my father was diagnosed with terminal cancer and I had to leave London to care for him. He has since passed away and I really want to start a course in September 2024. The university ended up charging me for an entire year, even though I told them my situation and my student finance account is reflecting this. If I was to apply for a new course with this balance still owing will they decline my application? It is very irritating having to pay £7,000 for a course I only did a couple of weeks of, and I will be even more frustrated if it stops me obtaining further funding to actually gain a degree. Thanks for any help!

Did you formally withdraw from your uni? And the £7,000 you refer to - was this course fees or maintenance loan?

You will still be able to apply to student finance to fund a new degree :smile:. The calculation used to determine how many years of funding you would be eligible for is:

Length of new course + 1 (gift) year - years of previous study

For example, for you:

3 + 1 - 1 = 3
4 + 1 - 1 = 4

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending