The Student Room Group

Degree Enquiry

I recently applied and have gotten offers from Warwick/QMUL for Biomedical Sciences and Cardiff Uni for Medicinal Chemistry.

I was curious as to which one to pick since I am considering doing a Bachelor's in either and then applying for a postgraudate medicine course.
I know most people intending to do medicine pick biomed but I still wanted some insight from the people here.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 1
Look at the course descriptions carefully - and the optional units in all years of each course.
Think about which units you would choose if you went to each one.
Think about the extra cost of living in London, and QMUL isnt in a great area for safety.
Honestly, if your goal is med then you shouldn’t enrol on an undergrad course with the intent of trying for GEM. It’s a more competitive, more expensive and longer route.

Gap year and reapply for undergrad med is your best chance of success.
Just as an example here’s a recent thread from someone who took three application cycles to get into GEM:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7318912
Reply 4
Original post by undefined
Honestly, if your goal is med then you shouldn’t enrol on an undergrad course with the intent of trying for GEM. It’s a more competitive, more expensive and longer route.

Gap year and reapply for undergrad med is your best chance of success.

Yeah, I'll take the gap year if I do get exceptional response but will go through GEM if it's something like AABB etc.
Luckily I do have family members who are experienced in the application process for GEM and a cousin who got in first cycle attempt. While it's not ideal, I'm passionate about the course and am more than willing to go through the hassle of doing it post grad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending