The Student Room Group

No Accommodation?

Has anyone else not been offered accommodation for their interview?
I've received an answerphone message today (a week before my interview) saying that they won't be able to accommodate me....

However I live 5 hours away (by train) and my pre-interview written exam is at 8.30am! :eek:

They asked if I could make alternate arrangements, but I've phoned literally all the Hotels/B&Bs near Robinson College (where I've applied!) and everywhere is booked (unsurprisingly considering they've left it till a week before my interview!) not to mention the fact that the train fare is already costing me £50 (approx) and I couldn't afford the prices of the hotels in Cambridge anyway!

What am I supposed to do?! Is anyone else in a similar position?
:frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No accommodation - sounds like the title of a Doors track.
Reply 2
To me the entire situation seemed biblical
I had visions of knocking at every hotel and being told there's no room at the inn .... untill a kind inkeeper took pitty on me and offered me his .... deluxe kingsized penthouse suite :biggrin:
Except I wouldn't be with child :rolleyes:
Reply 3
Try the Lensfield hotel: http://www.lensfieldhotel.co.uk/

Also the Gonville Hotel: http://www.gonvillehotel.co.uk/

They're not exactly close to Robinson, but they're definitely walkable in about 20-30 minutes.
Reply 4
Nope :frown: Both of them are 'unavailable' on those two nights!
How am I expected to find accommodation at such short notice?! :eek:
Reply 5
same here
but i received the letter few weeks ago,
just forgot about the accommodation.
O.O
Reply 6
That is really quite shocking, to be honest.
How about going to the Robinson thread and asking if any current students will let you crash on their floor in a sleeping bag overnight?

Do you have any friends, or siblings of friends studying at Cambridge? You could get cracking and call them with your situation, and ask them to have pity.

Lastly you can try and find accommodation somewhere nearby, with regular train services such as London (50mins) , Ely (10mins) etc, or one of the nearby villages. There's apparently a Travelodge in Newmarket, there are places like St Ives, Royston, Fulbourn... you could book taxis from these to the college in advance. It won't be cheap, but may not be as bad as you'd think. And its a one off.

Also consider calling them with your predicament and asking them to give you a different interview slot, and a special test arrangement, explaining that you cannot possibly get from home to the interview on time, and that you have looked everywhere for accommodation.
http://www.yha.org.uk/find-accommodation/search-results.aspx stay in the youth hostel by the station - it appears to have availability around then, it's cheap, and it might be a bit of a walk, but it's not that far.
That is disgusting... I am going to find out if there's a conference in next week and if it turns out that they've denied you a room because they're giving them out to conferences, then I will be very pissed off.

I will talk to our JCR Access Officer about it too as it sounds like something college need a bit of an ass-kicking on. If you could send me a PM with some extra details (particularly interview dates / times and subject applied for and your email address?) that'd be great. Also I'd offer you my floor but I'm not around then - I might send an email to the undergrads list asking around as well...

Really, really embarrassed about this.
Peterborough isn't too far by train from Cambridge.
thefish_uk

Really, really embarrassed about this.

I'm glad you came across this!
You honestly do not have £50.00 for a nights stay in a hotel?
harlequin_7_
You honestly do not have £50.00 for a nights stay in a hotel?

Read the thread properly :shifty:
When is your interview? I'm a Robinson post-grad and if I'm in town you are welcome to my floor or couch in the common area. Feel free to PM
Reply 15
Craghy's advice is good.

You could also email the admission offices of nearby colleges (Selwyn, Churchill, Fitz, and Girton's annex, Wolfson Court - there's also Newnham and New hall but they wouldn't have you obviously) explaining your situation and saying that you are willing to pay the same rate as a conference guest for a simple room? It couldn't be as expensive as a hotel.
Reply 16
i book the room yesterday morning and arrived yesternight lol
35per night
Reply 17
Really?! Where?!
Anywhere near Robinson College?
Reply 18
hey, it has already been mentioned, but the youth hostel has still places available, unless it's the sixth, I think that's the only night they're booked out.
and btw, Im also staying there :smile:
Yasmin18
hey, it has already been mentioned, but the youth hostel has still places available, unless it's the sixth, I think that's the only night they're booked out.
and btw, Im also staying there :smile:

Ditto, it's only about £15 maximum. If you don't mind a slightly chilly shower in the morning, and sharing a room with other people, it's perfect. And they do great breakfasts :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending