The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The main con is that it definitely is a tad expensive. Safety-wise it's not as bad as most people think, although there are areas you'd want to avoid walking around alone at 3am. :p:

Definitely an amazing city though, tons to do and such and the links between the unis for libraries is nice. I had a tough time deciding as I had an offer for KCL, but ultimately I decided I didn't want to live there as a student yet.

Had it been UCL though, I'd have had an even tougher time and quite possibly opted to go there instead, couldn't have gotten in so it was a moot point though. Might head to London for my masters if I do one though.
Sarahl89
dont really wanna say, not meant to tell anyone an i know its only tsr but still. suffice to say you're probably okay being a bloke & all..

If you're safe and careful with you drink and whatever else it is you do then you're safe in london no matter what sex you are.
So many girls I half know will have too much to drink one night, get into some trouble and then blame it all on their drink being spiked and nonsense like that. I'm sure this isn't the case for your friend but london really isnt anymore dangerous for a smart girl than it is for any guy.

Too many girls come to london expecting it to be like whatever small town they;re from or get carried away with drugs or something like that and make stupid mistakes and judgement calls.

Most people at my uni are girls and rarely get into any sort of trouble coming home from a night out, you've just gotta be clever.
Reply 42
bete noire
If you're safe and careful with you drink and whatever else it is you do then you're safe in london no matter what sex you are.
So many girls I half know will have too much to drink one night, get into some trouble and then blame it all on their drink being spiked and nonsense like that. I'm sure this isn't the case for your friend but london really isnt anymore dangerous for a smart girl than it is for any guy.

Too many girls come to london expecting it to be like whatever small town they;re from or get carried away with drugs or something like that and make stupid mistakes and judgement calls.

Most people at my uni are girls and rarely get into any sort of trouble coming home from a night out, you've just gotta be clever.

Hmm i beg to differ actually my friend is not stupid, didn't have her drink spiked, wasn't that drunk and was with her friends & boyfriend waiting for a bus in full view of everyone.. doesn't matter how safe or clever you are sometimes it can be dangerous. Obviously you've been lucky not to have to experience anything like that.
Reply 43
Is the minimum wage higher in London? If so, that would make the cost thing a bit less of an issue really
miss_world
What on earth are you spending that on?!

Junk really i'm going to have to moderate it out.

Eating Out/Takeaway - 20/week
Weekly Shop - 30-40/week
Booze/Pre-lash - 15/week
Clubbing - 40-70+/week (usually 2-3 times/week)
Phone - 10/week
Insurance - 10ish i think
oyster card - 20/week

Think thats basically my expenditure
Sarahl89
Hmm i beg to differ actually my friend is not stupid, didn't have her drink spiked, wasn't that drunk and was with her friends & boyfriend waiting for a bus in full view of everyone.. doesn't matter how safe or clever you are sometimes it can be dangerous. Obviously you've been lucky not to have to experience anything like that.

Honestly it's more than just luck. I've been getting night busses and walking around london at night, drunk, sober and otherwise since I was seventeen and have never gotten into any trouble beyond missing the last bus. The same rings true for all of my friends (majority of whom are girls, who go out and come home by themselves)

Maybe you've just been unlucky.
Reply 46
JoeJBB
Is the minimum wage higher in London? If so, that would make the cost thing a bit less of an issue really

Wages for part-time work are higher in London than most other cities in the UK.
davidjones90
Junk really i'm going to have to moderate it out.

Eating Out/Takeaway - 20/week
Weekly Shop - 30-40/week
Booze/Pre-lash - 15/week
Clubbing - 40-70+/week (usually 2-3 times/week)
Phone - 10/week
Insurance - 10ish i think
oyster card - 20/week

Think thats basically my expenditure

Get a montly oystercard, don't pay insurance, just keep your things safe, don't go to :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2: clubs like tiger tiger, buy cheaper booze, buy cheaper food and maybe get a contract phone
I live about 45 minutes from central London for £75/week, including all bills. So it doesn't have to be expensive.
Reply 49
bete noire
Honestly it's more than just luck. I've been getting night busses and walking around london at night, drunk, sober and otherwise since I was seventeen and have never gotten into any trouble beyond missing the last bus. The same rings true for all of my friends (majority of whom are girls, who go out and come home by themselves)

Maybe you've just been unlucky.

Well im not gonna argue about it! Yes i know most of the time if you're sensible then you can be safe in London, im just saying no matter how safe you are, sometimes you can be unlucky (& im sure thats what it was 'cause i know no one else at uni there whos had any real trouble).

edit: id have quite liked to go to uni in London, just a shame its a tad tricky to take a course in conservation bio with a large practical aspect when you're living in the middle of a big city!
Pros:
- very good exposure to 'real life' if you go to a London uni...there are plenty of chances to make connections, take up internships etc. etc. etc.
- there's always something to do and there's something for everyone. price doesn't neccesarily have to be a problem since loads of things are cheap/free. you also get plenty of discounts for being a student.
- clubs are amazing, something for all tastes...it's also not too dangerous if you stay near the centre and away from the dodgy end of soho. cabs aren't too expensive if you book in advance.
- there are *loads* of part time jobs going so it's fairly easy to make a bit of extra money.
- UCL is a great univ. (enough said)

Cons:
- it can end up being quite expensive...especially accomodation and food, unless you choose to cook for yourself and not eat out often. if you end up staying somewhere cheaper but less central, that can be a bit of a pain/more expensive travel-wise.
- there are way too many people and you're surrounded pretty much 24/7. I'm at college now and lock myself away for a couple of hours when I get home since i'll have been around people from 7 in the morning till 6 in the evening (and by people, i mean *lots* of people). personally I don't mind it too much, but I guess some people would prefer somewhere quieter like edinburgh or st andrews.

Also, an extra bit about safety:
so long as you don't wander too far from the centre you're generally going to be alright. oxford street/tottenham court road (and the general surrounding area) and camden are almost as lively at 2am as they are during the day. night buses are also amazing things and if you end up living on a night bus route then you're pretty much sorted :cool:
Sarahl89
Well im not gonna argue about it! Yes i know most of the time if you're sensible then you can be safe in London, im just saying no matter how safe you are, sometimes you can be unlucky (& im sure thats what it was 'cause i know no one else at uni there whos had any real trouble).

No need to argue it seems like we're in perfect agreement.
Reply 52
pros:
Top universities,
Top nightlife,
Top student deals,
Tonnes to do
Extra Student loan

Cons,
More student loan to pay back !
If you don't know it can be expensive to do things.
LadyJaneGrey

so long as you don't wander too far from the centre you're generally going to be alright. oxford street/tottenham court road (and the general surrounding area) and camden are almost as lively at 2am as they are during the day. night buses are also amazing things and if you end up living on a night bus route then you're pretty much sorted :cool:

Central london sucks man
Zamolxes
The rest of UK looks like a poor village from the 1700 compared to london.

and THAT says everything.

London4life peace out.

Ever been anywhere else in the UK?
necessarily benevolent
I have a UCL offer

Okay first off, I'm jealous..

Everybody's right in saying it's expensive, but the biggest set backs are really only transport (and with UCL you're all ready centrally located so you can hop on a bus mostly- which is v. cheap!) and prices of drinks/clubs. But you're at uni, it's expected of you to stay in your halls and get drunk there!
It is worth it imo.

You're going to study History right? Well not sure what sort of work you want to go into, but you'll have everything on your doorstep for great part-time work, intern placements etc. and doing such a highly accredited degree at such a top-ranked uni you'll get snapped up right away. You'll be mixing with all sorts of people every day, and St. Andrews gives me the impression of a very isolated, student dominated population.
bete noire
Central london sucks man

why? where dyu go?
LadyJaneGrey
why? where dyu go?

Its just full of loads of :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2: common clubs, with barely any character and girls who wear fake tan and in general i dont really like it. i hang like out in the south east/east. but im more in to house parties than "bangin club nites"
bete noire
Get a montly oystercard, don't pay insurance, just keep your things safe, don't go to :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2: clubs like tiger tiger, buy cheaper booze, buy cheaper food and maybe get a contract phone

I use the monthly oyster zone 1-3

I need insurance cos I have so much stuff which I can't afford to replace if nicked add that I always take my laptop to uni and i'm prone to loosing my phone, its invaluable. (I've already paid the insurance of anyway for the year).

Booze can be cut on yes but i refuse to drink glenns under any circumstances.

Most clubs charge 5 to 12 quid entry and jugs cost anything from 9 to 16£ or up to fiver for double JD+redbull

I do have a contract phone as well

I'm not willing to cut on food though.
davidjones90
I use the monthly oyster zone 1-3

I need insurance cos I have so much stuff which I can't afford to replace if nicked add that I always take my laptop to uni and i'm prone to loosing my phone, its invaluable. (I've already paid the insurance of anyway for the year).

Booze can be cut on yes but i refuse to drink glenns under any circumstances.

Most clubs charge 5 to 12 quid entry and jugs cost anything from 9 to 16£ or up to fiver for double JD+redbull

I do have a contract phone as well

I'm not willing to cut on food though.

Guess you've got to live with it then, I love living on the cheap. Nice cheap as hell bottle of wine from the offy, nice deal on a six pack and I'm set. And i rarely go to club nights that cost more than a fiver.

Latest

Trending

Trending