The Student Room Group

Do universities allow a bit of a miss?

Well right now I have a very high A in both Psychology ad Computing, and have a low B in Maths. I achieved a B in Electronics at AS and dropped it to concentrate on Psychology, Computing and Maths.

I do Maths Mechanics and I have just done my M2 paper and considered it a failure... I've gotten full marks on a coursework that is 25% of one of the modules (C3), so that gives me a little break.

Anyway I was wondering, Manchester University offered AAB, incl. Maths... If I end up getting AACb with a C in Maths Mechanics, do you think I'll be rejected? The maths required can be any maths, however I made the mistake of going for the harder modules, M1 and M2 ><... C3 and C4 seem very difficult so I doubt, unless I get lucky, that I can get a B... I might retake M2 in the summer and try achieving a higher grade whilst getting not so bad marks in C3 and C4; but still then I'd only just scrape a B...

My question is really, if offered AAB (with wanting Maths as "one of the grades."), would a AACb (with the C in maths) still have a chance of getting me in?

Thanks in advance.

(Edit: the course is Internet Computing (sw)).

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They might accept you still, they might reject you. You can't possibly tell until results day, as it depends on the universities circumstances, how many places they have left etc. You'll just have to wait and see what happens, and in the mean time work as hard as possible.
Reply 2
Ah fair enough. Would they take into account that I did more of the harder, yet relevant modules rather than the easier Statistics modules?
Reply 3
depends, depends. my friend had an offer of AAB, got AAC and still got in. my flatmate (at manchester), had a BBC offer, got CCC and still got in. then again, she was interviewed so maybe that's a little different.

if it's Manchester, you'll probably get in.
Gawd, I love Mechanics.
I failed Stats though. I hate it <_<

They're all the same difficulty yo b honest; if you think they're easier, you should have taken them :p:
It depends entirely on results day. They could have an extremely good cohort and your grades might be more impressive to them than people who made the offer they offered, but if that happened you would not get a place and they would.

One of my friends missed his offer for engineering when he was offered AAA including maths and physics by getting AABB. He got A in maths and geography and a B in further maths and physics and the university still let him in because they respected the fact he had further maths so much. However one of my other friends got into the same university for maths and physics with an AAA offer to include maths and physics (plus step I think) and despite getting 100% in all of her maths and further maths modules and AAAB in maths, further maths, statistics and physics she was rejected due to getting one mark off an A in physics. Academically she did a lot better than the other guy, she beat most of the people who made their offers in maths in terms of academic ability and the university would loved to have taken her over a lot of them, but the fact that too many people got their offers meant that she was not given a place even though she was better than a lot of the other applicants who secured places.

Hope this helps. Apologies for how verbose it is.
Reply 6
I got an offer for AABC, but if I get AAAD would I get rejected?
Reply 7
Rosh_123
I got an offer for AABC, but if I get AAAD would I get rejected?

How can we possibly tell you? We are not admissions tutors and it isn't results day yet. You will just have to wait and see.
Reply 8
ok sorry :/ Never know, you could be psychic...
Reply 9
invictus_veritas
It depends entirely on results day. They could have an extremely good cohort and your grades might be more impressive to them than people who made the offer they offered, but if that happened you would not get a place and they would.

One of my friends missed his offer for engineering when he was offered AAA including maths and physics by getting AABB. He got A in maths and geography and a B in further maths and physics and the university still let him in because they respected the fact he had further maths so much. However one of my other friends got into the same university for maths and physics with an AAA offer to include maths and physics (plus step I think) and despite getting 100% in all of her maths and further maths modules and AAAB in maths, further maths, statistics and physics she was rejected due to getting one mark off an A in physics. Academically she did a lot better than the other guy, she beat most of the people who made their offers in maths in terms of academic ability and the university would loved to have taken her over a lot of them, but the fact that too many people got their offers meant that she was not given a place even though she was better than a lot of the other applicants who secured places.

Hope this helps. Apologies for how verbose it is.

How are the spaces given out? I'm quite confused on this one. If they both missed their offers, how come one got the offer first rather the second?
Reply 10
rottcodd
How can we possibly tell you? We are not admissions tutors and it isn't results day yet. You will just have to wait and see.

:ditto:

We aren't admissions tutors, we don't know the exact demand for the course, we don't know how many students will meet their offer come results day....

Some managed to get in, some only just scrape in (I'm one of those) and some get told to get lost.

You'll just have to wait and see. If you have significant mitigating circumstances then it's probably more likely you'll still get in but, even then, it's not definate.

There are just so many factors to consider.
I'm in a similar situation...only predicted ABB yet have been offered a place requiring AAA and I REALLY want to go there. Lots of people have said the same, that it depends on the places they have left, if the uni offers clearing, whether you beg well enough on the phone on results day...heh. So I think my advice to you is to just work your socks off and get as close to your entry requirements as possible and hope you get in! :smile:
They may allow one garde less than your predicted or the conditional offer. Not fully sure though.
Reply 13
I got an offer from Manchester at the same department. At my interview they said, if the course requires maths at A-Level, and you miss the grade, your application will be reviewed, but they consider maths to be the most important result.
Reply 14
worthers
I got an offer from Manchester at the same department. At my interview they said, if the course requires maths at A-Level, and you miss the grade, your application will be reviewed, but they consider maths to be the most important result.

/facepalm
Reply 15
Its a silly question - if they fill all their spaces with people who have made the grades, then they probably won't consider those who have fallen short of a grade at all. If they have a few spaces left where offers have been missed then sure, your having taken particular modules etc. may stand in your favour, or if they have lots of spaces left to fill they might just let you in anyway. it completely depends... wouldn 't your time be better spent working to get the offered grades than analysing all the 'what ifs' which are completely out of your control anyway?

Exeter let me in when i missed by 10 points so you just never know.
Reply 16
Sarahl89
Its a silly question - if they fill all their spaces with people who have made the grades, then they probably won't consider those who have fallen short of a grade at all. If they have a few spaces left where offers have been missed then sure, your having taken particular modules etc. may stand in your favour, or if they have lots of spaces left to fill they might just let you in anyway. it completely depends... wouldn 't your time be better spent working to get the offered grades than analysing all the 'what ifs' which are completely out of your control anyway?

Exeter let me in when i missed by 10 points so you just never know.

I hate it when people say "work rather than use forums." This is my little break inbetween studying, and I personally prefer going online and learning about questions that are bugging and gain for opinions to put my mind at rest...

But thanks for the information none-the-less.
Reply 17
Daisuke
I hate it when people say "work rather than use forums." This is my little break inbetween studying, and I personally prefer going online and learning about questions that are bugging and gain for opinions to put my mind at rest...

But thanks for the information none-the-less.

When did i ever say get off the forum.. what do you think i'm doing here?:s-smilie: sorry just people ask such silly questions sometimes! How are we to know if they'll let you in or not! just got to hope!
Reply 18
Sarahl89
When did i ever say get off the forum.. what do you think i'm doing here?:s-smilie: sorry just people ask such silly questions sometimes! How are we to know if they'll let you in or not! just got to hope!

I wasn't trying to imply "get off forums." Just trying to say that this puts my mind at ease, knowing that I might have a chance rather than to keep thinking about it; this helps me stop thinking about it. I have some views on what might happen, from others experience. In my opinion it isn't such a silly question, I don't know how universities pick their places and asked about it here. I got my answer so now I'm contempt...
Reply 19
Daisuke
I wasn't trying to imply "get off forums." Just trying to say that this puts my mind at ease, knowing that I might have a chance rather than to keep thinking about it; this helps me stop thinking about it. I have some views on what might happen, from others experience. In my opinion it isn't such a silly question, I don't know how universities pick their places and asked about it here. I got my answer so now I'm contempt...

Don't be contempt! Maybe try content instead! Its a much nicer state! I didnt mean to have a go at you lol sorry!!

Latest

Trending

Trending