The Student Room Group

Im scared of failure

I have my exams in four week. Yet I am too scared to approach the content. I am at uni and I am in my third year. I cannot retake as this IS my retake year. So in other words if I fail this year I get booted out :frown:

I don't know why, but I have become so terribly apathetic. I badly want to pass, I really do. Yet I can't bring myself to work. Time flies so quickly and by the time I come to the end of my revision I forget what I did at the start. So consequently I just can't be bothered.

However, I am sooo scared of failing. It will be really embarassing to say the least, considering I am retaking. Also my parents will hit the roof, especially since I lied to them and said I had finished all my revision ages ago.

I feel so alone. I wish I could pull off this miracle and get through these exams but I just don't have faith in my cramming abilities anymore:frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Please someone help me.
I feel EXACTLY the same and I have no idea how and why it has happened! Especially in contrast with last year and even the beginning of this one.I know this is entirely unhelpful, but at least you know you're not alone!I'm really worried that my life will just go downhill from here, it's got beyond the ''it's just a bad patch'' phase now, I think.
Reply 3
Aww...
There's still some time left so not all hope is lost. If you revised during these last few weeks, would you still be able to make it?

best of luck Anon.
Reply 4
well its all down to you at the end of the day. just get on with it. four weeks will fly by. revising for four weeks isnt the end of the world. just do it. get it out of the way. it doesnt sound like you have much of a choice but to do it

real life is hard work for most people. you cant just not do things in life. because one day youre gona have to keep a roof over your head and put food on the table. get on with it
Reply 5
Awww... I know exactly how you feel... I'm so scared of failure that I stop trying cos that, in a way, seems better/the easiest option. At the end of the day though, all you can do is your best. I suppose I'm like the blind leading the blind here, but you admitting how much this matters to you is the first step. Next you've just got to buckle down and get the work done. If you try your best and everyone knows that, no one will blame you if you fail and most importantly you won't feel angry with yourself if you fail. Good luck. You still have time to put this right, just believe in yourself.
Reply 6
Take a few days off, and do something you enjoy -go watch a movie, try to take your mind off it completely. I find that when im in that sort of mindset, taking a break always helps and afterward you feel as motivated as ever and can get back down to business
Reply 7
There is no failure except in no longer trying. - Elbert Hubbard

You just need to study hard and try your best. You can do it! At least try!
Most people feel scared of failure.

Get some motivation, psych yourself up.
Reply 9
keekee107
Awww... I know exactly how you feel... I'm so scared of failure that I stop trying cos that, in a way, seems better/the easiest option. At the end of the day though, all you can do is your best. I suppose I'm like the blind leading the blind here, but you admitting how much this matters to you is the first step. Next you've just got to buckle down and get the work done. If you try your best and everyone knows that, no one will blame you if you fail and most importantly you won't feel angry with yourself if you fail. Good luck. You still have time to put this right, just believe in yourself.

You're so kind thank you. That really helped. You don't give up too ok?
Reply 10
estboy92
There is no failure except in no longer trying. - Elbert Hubbard

You just need to study hard and try your best. You can do it! At least try!

Aww thank you:smile: It always moves to to think that complete strangers are writing to another stranger here, there's nothing in it for them yet they still write out of the kindness of their hearts (or maybe sheer boredom? lol) thank you.
Reply 11
SuicideCommando
Most people feel scared of failure.

Get some motivation, psych yourself up.

That is true but I feel this way because I have failed many a time before. I don't remember how it feels to be success and I miss that feeling so much. Yet I am almost too scared to do anything about it. I am the worst procrastinator you will ever meet.
Reply 12
Squ33zed
Take a few days off, and do something you enjoy -go watch a movie, try to take your mind off it completely. I find that when im in that sort of mindset, taking a break always helps and afterward you feel as motivated as ever and can get back down to business

I would but I am too nervous to take a break. I was thinking of studying in the library away from my bedroom from 8am till 12 midnight every day with little breaks then surely I can pass this. I really need to push myself, I have a huge workload to get through.
Reply 13
Tombola
Aww...
There's still some time left so not all hope is lost. If you revised during these last few weeks, would you still be able to make it?

best of luck Anon.

That's so sweet. I hope I can make it. It is my mindset that lets me down, I know some more chilled out people who have faith in their cramming would probably pull it off in two weeks. Just the nerves keep getting the better of me:frown:
Reply 14
Anonymous
You're so kind thank you. That really helped. You don't give up too ok?

Aww... bless you :smile:... I hope I did help. You need any help with motivation, just message me. I'm gonna try my best to fix the mess I've got myself in this week... I don't wanna lose what I have. We'll fix it. I have faith in us :smile:..
Theres no need to be afraid, you've got 4 weeks, anything can happen.
Reply 16
Anonymous
That's so sweet. I hope I can make it. It is my mindset that lets me down, I know some more chilled out people who have faith in their cramming would probably pull it off in two weeks. Just the nerves keep getting the better of me:frown:

I totally understand the feeling. One thing to remind yourself is to relax. There's way too much pressure on yourself.

Fear of failure is basically the desire for perfection. Procrastination then seems much easier cause it's impossible to achieve otherwise, a case of putting off the horrible thing. That's basically the thought process behind it, I'm sure you know this.

It comes down to a case of: Forgetting about all the negative thoughts and fatalistic possabilities, and just focusing on doing any work. Any work is better than none, right? Who knows you might end up doing better than you expected :smile:
Reply 17
Anonymous
Aww thank you:smile: It always moves to to think that complete strangers are writing to another stranger here, there's nothing in it for them yet they still write out of the kindness of their hearts (or maybe sheer boredom? lol) thank you.

You're welcome! :smile:
You're failing my not trying. Are you bored by the work or do you find it too challenging? I've just finished my 1st semester of university (loved it! :smile:) and I didn't revise properly at all; I came home from lectures and either sat on my laptop or went out (unfortunately it was the latter for the majority of the term). Then when it came to revision 2 weeks before the exams started, you could say I almost had no hope in hell. However, I tried new revision techniques and literally forced myself to sit down and look over the term's work. You can do it if you just set your mind to it and, as easy as it is to say that, it's coming from someone who knows what its like to lose all motivation to succeed. Turn your phone off if you're a sociable person and focus purely on your studies. Organise some things to do after your exams have finished as an incentive to earn the 'treat'.
Reply 19
Captain Biggles
You're failing my not trying. Are you bored by the work or do you find it too challenging? I've just finished my 1st semester of university (loved it! :smile:) and I didn't revise properly at all; I came home from lectures and either sat on my laptop or went out (unfortunately it was the latter for the majority of the term). Then when it came to revision 2 weeks before the exams started, you could say I almost had no hope in hell. However, I tried new revision techniques and literally forced myself to sit down and look over the term's work. You can do it if you just set your mind to it and, as easy as it is to say that, it's coming from someone who knows what its like to lose all motivation to succeed. Turn your phone off if you're a sociable person and focus purely on your studies. Organise some things to do after your exams have finished as an incentive to earn the 'treat'.

There is a lot to get through, which is really motivating. When I waste time it's not like I am out partying like some of my friends but I avoid work because it is too hard to bring myself to do it, so I surf the net, talk on the phone etc. So you're advice about switching off my phone is great! So did you pass your exams in the end? Basically what stresses me out is everyone has been working so much harder than me and I hate playing catch up. At the same time I can't bear to fail. Basically I wish I had started earlier. I feel like I have lost the battle already and don't have a hope in hell. But yes I am going to keep going, I keep dreaming I will pass along with my friends (for once) but that almost seems too good to be true....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending