The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

anna_spanner89
the fact that private hospitals are 'cleaner' is a deception, the bugs are still there, they still get the infections...and the same cleaners too, so..whats the point? Only difference is theres more staff per patient

Soo not true... Have you seen figures from private and NHS hospitals about HAI?
junglemonkey
Soo not true... Have you seen figures from private and NHS hospitals about HAI?

I'm not saying it's better, but not hugely...like i said, more nursing staff and less patients just equals the less infections
Reply 42
Not worth it tbh. Same surgeons, same hospitals. Shorter waiting lists and a single room is all your 4 or 5 figure sum will buy you.
Cromwell is a good hospital if you're looking for it - I go there in the rare occasion I go to the doctors and its nice.
anna_spanner89
I'm not saying it's better, but not hugely...like i said, more nursing staff and less patients just equals the less infections

Well that depends. Number of nurses is irrelevant if they all have good infection control, catheter care etc. and the cleaners are doing their job.

Unless you're suggesting that NHS nurses neglect this because they're too busy?
My father's had severe (and unusual) kidney issues and has been treated by both NHS and private. Going by how he was treated, I'd say private all the way. The NHS have done nothing except screw up, and at one point nearly kill him (sent him home after a particular procedure and he started bleeding internally). Going back a ways, when he was a younger man, they also failed to diagnose the fact that he'd managed to break *all* his ribs, right next to the spine after a car crash. They told him he was fine and sent him home. It was only when he came back complaining of back pain that they x-rayed him and found out it was a miracle he hadn't been permanently paralyzed.

He also managed to contract a new strain of meningitus back in the 90's in Africa, and luckily was treated privately in S. Africa. They had to create an entirely new drug to combat the illness, but because he was private, the insurance paid up. If it had been NHS they would have tried for a few weeks and then just given up (considered it a waste of resources).
Reply 46
WolfSong2000
My father's had severe (and unusual) kidney issues and has been treated by both NHS and private. Going by how he was treated, I'd say private all the way. The NHS have done nothing except screw up, and at one point nearly kill him (sent him home after a particular procedure and he started bleeding internally). Going back a ways, when he was a younger man, they also failed to diagnose the fact that he'd managed to break *all* his ribs, right next to the spine after a car crash. They told him he was fine and sent him home. It was only when he came back complaining of back pain that they x-rayed him and found out it was a miracle he hadn't been permanently paralyzed.

He also managed to contract a new strain of meningitus back in the 90's in Africa, and luckily was treated privately in S. Africa. They had to create an entirely new drug to combat the illness, but because he was private, the insurance paid up. If it had been NHS they would have tried for a few weeks and then just given up (considered it a waste of resources).

That was good of them :eyeball:
Reply 47
Actually one amazingly cool NHS hospital I stayed in was the Hospital for Tropical Diseases in London. They were amazing :suith:
Reply 48
I had an operation to straighten my spine =] I had it done on the NHS at Stanmore Orthopaedic hospital and the treatment and care I received couldnt have been more superb. I had complications during my surgery and ended up going to Harefield (and had a tube glued to the back of my lung..yummy no?) lol! and I was given a room on the private wing and I hated it. So I guess it just depends where you go. Stanmore is a great hospital...princess eugenie had the same op as me there although she did go private :P I actually missed it when I went home :tongue: lol:eek3:
Reply 49
gyyy2807
small operation (e.g. something small done to a finger) = private
large operation (e.g. heart transplant) = NHS

AFAIK you can't get transplants done privately, but I get the general point. Anything where you might need ITU support seems to me safest done under the NHS.

I am VERY surprised to hear about people's experiences with mixed wards - the only ones I know that still have mixed bays are MAU wards, where patient turnover is so high that you just can't organise beds based on sex.
WolfSong2000

You do realize that creating an entirely new drug costs billions and takes about fifteen years?
Helenia

I am VERY surprised to hear about people's experiences with mixed wards - the only ones I know that still have mixed bays are MAU wards, where patient turnover is so high that you just can't organise beds based on sex.

Aye, when I worked on MAU they tried as much as possible to keep bays single sex, or at the very least keep the most disruptive (e.g. flashing) patients on the far end of the ward to the more vulnerable patients, or in side rooms.

Sadly not always possible given the fast turn over and the fact they're almost always full.

terpineol
You do realize that creating an entirely new drug costs billions and takes about fifteen years?

Not to mention the combined efforts of hundreds if not thousands of people :tongue:

I presumed the poster meant that they came up with a new drug regime, rahter than a new drug entity.
Helenia

I was in a Surgical Assesment Unit, which was mixed as most people were only in for a day or so. Had I had the when it was booked rather than as an emergency I would have been on a single-sex liver ward. Oddly, when I went to the Maxillo-Facial/ENT dept to have my wisdom teeth out as a day case I was on a single sex ward.

It was well organised though, two beds per "block", single sex blocks. Was a little peeved that the beds opposite had men in, I'd rather have been facing women, but they were mostly asleep, so it could have been worse.
Reply 53
I'm fairly sure I won't be put in a mixed sex ward.
As various people have said, I'm surprised they still even have them except in emergencies

Latest