The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi everyone! Just wanted to say, i've just completed my access course. I did access to teaching which consisted of Quantitative Methods ie Maths, English and Human Biology. I was working full-time and had two young children so i decided to do the Quantitative Methods one first as an evening class. I was surprised at how well i did, got a distinction, as i'd never been much good at maths. Last september i decided to give up work and concentrate on doing the English and Human Biology. Although we hav'nt officailly getten results yet (next Friday), my tutors have told me i got a credit for english and Distinction for Human Biology! I only needed 1 credit and two merits for uni.

My initial reason for doing the access course was to go into primary teaching but as soon as i started the Human Biology i realised that i loved it and found it so interesting. I then decided to do a biology degree and then a PGCE to enable me to teach biology.

My only advice is to stick in, start working on assignments as soon as you get them so your not rushing at the end and just enjoy. It took two years to do mine and that absolutely flew over.

I just can't wait to start uni in September and i am so pleased i'm going as a mature student as i'm focused, going to work so, so hard and know exactly what i want out of life. Was'nt any of this when i was 18.

Good luck everyone, hope you enjoy.
Reply 21
Thanks for your reply I have just found out it is possible to do a access course in a year, although it will involve a lot of hard work, well worth it though
Reply 22
If anyone is worried about starting an access course in September you will more than likely love it!! I got such a buzz out of being in education again. And it's really exciting (and also at the same time a big pain in the arse) filling out your ucas forms, then checking them every day/hour to see if you have any offers. I really enjoyed my access course, and have just finished and done really well in my first year at university.

GOOD LUCK!!!!
Reply 23
bigbrett
Does any one know if it is possible to do a part time access course in 1 year.

The access course I've just done was part time and was completed in one year.
Reply 24
luce20
Wahoo!! After a two month wait ( seemed like a life time) I have been accepted onto the access course at Leicester. Roll on September. Good luck to anyone else waiting or starting this year!

hi luce20 - been accepted onto the course at Leicester too!and September cant come fast enough. Do you mind if I ask what you will be studying? I have chosen the access to science course at Abbey Pk Campus
Reply 25
aspire85
hi luce20 - been accepted onto the course at Leicester too!and September cant come fast enough. Do you mind if I ask what you will be studying? I have chosen the access to science course at Abbey Pk Campus

Hey, I'm also studying the access to science! I'm going to apply for either Optometry this year or the access to medicine after this course. Need to get some volunteering done this year before I make a decision. What are planning to do afterwards?
Its great to meet someone else on here that going to the same college.
Reply 26
It sure is!I stumbled across this website by accident and have not looked back since.I am planning to do Biomedical Science afterwards.
Like you I have looked into getting voluntary work - maybe with the NHS while i study.Did you get the email about enrollment?
Tuesday 1 to Thursday 3 September 09 - 9am to 8pm
Friday 4 and Saturday 5 September 09 - 9am to 3pm

Think I will go on Tuesday.

Im still trying to get my hands on the timetable.lol; you sound like you know what you want - which is excellent.Hope to see you soon!Name is Tanga
ps - great forum, its encouraging to meet people in the same boat.
Reply 27
Hi again!
Wow, so similar kind of field to me then, (I think!). No I haven't recieved anything at all. I keep hoping I'll have a letter waiting for me when I get home after work but nothing. So I take it I can enrol at any time on any day? I might have to enrol on the Thursday as I'm catching up with a mate in Manchester that week. Good job you told me about enrolment, else I would have been left in the dark.

Have you been calling them about the timetable? In my last letter I was told I would know by late August, but I'm trying to sort out my hours at work now I'm going part time! Oh good luck with the volunteering, hope you get it all sorted out! Hope to see you soon as well.
Reply 28
Hey,
Off to the college today; called them about the timetable 2 weeks ago - i understand that there is a draft one available but its not been published yet. Working part time at the moment so im keen on knowing what hours I shall be spending in college.(will let you know if i get any info)

About enrolling; the email didnt mention anything about pre-arranging time slots.I planning to go in the evening.Hopefully less busy.

As for the timetable, I know they say 9 till 3 as a guideline but when I met with Anne Bonnel she mentioned there would be a class split - Mondays to Thursday and Tuesdays to Fridays.
Anyroad - the good news is that we are in August tomorrow.......september is just a few weeks away!
This will hopefully be a good topic :smile:

I'm attending Kensington and Chelsea College in London (obviously lol)
The course is Access to Social Sciences: Psychology, Sociology, anthropology!

Hope it's not too hard. I need a bucket load of credits to get into my preferred uni :O
So glad I read these posts as I am interested in doing an access course. I think im too late to enrol for this year but definatly want to enrol next year. (wish I wouldve known about it sooner).
I may consider doing an a level this year just to boost my qualifications and get some experience.
Can't wait to enrol next year though.
Has anyone else had funding for these access courses? becuase I dont want to give up full time work - I want to do part time access course.
Reply 31
ronnie3526
So glad I read these posts as I am interested in doing an access course. I think im too late to enrol for this year but definatly want to enrol next year. (wish I wouldve known about it sooner).
I may consider doing an a level this year just to boost my qualifications and get some experience.
Can't wait to enrol next year though.
Has anyone else had funding for these access courses? becuase I dont want to give up full time work - I want to do part time access course.

Are you sure its too late? I did an access course last year and did'nt enrol till the beginning of September!
seyoung1
Are you sure its too late? I did an access course last year and did'nt enrol till the beginning of September!

Well i need to save up the money - the course is 1,400 pound, and since I currently work full time and earn around 16,000 i don't think i qualify for any financial help...so i need to save for the next few months :frown:
Reply 33
ronnie3526
Well i need to save up the money - the course is 1,400 pound, and since I currently work full time and earn around 16,000 i don't think i qualify for any financial help...so i need to save for the next few months :frown:

Ah right yeah understandable. Pity its not the same as the college i went to. If you did all three courses of your access course in the same year you didn't have to pay. Otherwise, they are about £300 each.

Well good luck with it anyway.
Reply 34
Just enrolled today , i start my Access course in September. Very excited and apprehensive as to be expected.
Hi Rachel here 21 year old single mum of two beautiful children. Starting a one year access course this september, really nervous but can't wait to get stuck in. Studying and having the fulll time job as a mum it will be hard but worth it in the end.
Hoping to apply to uni for 2010 to do a degree in midwifery, fingers crossed at coventry.
Just want to say to everyone good luck with course and the university applications.
Reply 36
rlharcourt
Hi Rachel here 21 year old single mum of two beautiful children. Starting a one year access course this september, really nervous but can't wait to get stuck in. Studying and having the fulll time job as a mum it will be hard but worth it in the end.
Hoping to apply to uni for 2010 to do a degree in midwifery, fingers crossed at coventry.
Just want to say to everyone good luck with course and the university applications.

Hi Rachel,

Good look on your course, I've just enrolled myself, although my course is part time in the evening over two years.
what are you hoping to go on and do? have you got children
Did anyone else try and get a list of topics or reading lists for their course? I emailed my college's secretary but they didn't reply lol

I was hoping to get a head start and begin studying over this month.... oh well :P

I have absolutely ZERO prior knowledge of the subjects that I'll be studying... I really hope they don't throw us straight into the deep-end.
Reply 39
rlharcourt

4 weeks to go!!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending