The Student Room Group

Felt ugly as a kid and bullied find it hard to acept compliments now

When i was younger i was always very shy so was basicly a great target for bullys, i had such little confidence in myself i was convinced i was ugly, i would get called lanky, and 'wierd looking' and i even remember just sitting down once minding my own buisness and this boy staring and me and just saying' omg i dont mean to be rude but your really ugly'

I also had an overbite and hated my teeth and smile and never wanted to smile.

But im 20 now and two years ago had my teeth fixed (i had jaw surgery and my over bite corrected aswell as braces for two years and teeth whitened)

I guess i wasan 'ugly ducking' as now i dont mean to sound vain because im really really not, but i seem to get so much attention and compliments on how i look i find it really odd. At my new job everyday people are often hitting on me and telling me im really beautiful and have an amazing figure and could be a model. I so want to believe it but i just cant becaus all my life i had it stuck in my head i was ugly, my mum says i have something called body dismorphic disorder, Does anyone else on here have it?
Reply 1
In before pics.
Reply 2
i got bullied and attacked as a kid and it still affects me
Reply 3
SHABANA
In before pics.

not a very sensitive post considering the OPs situation??? some people :mad:
Reply 4
sam789789
not a very sensitive post considering the OPs situation??? some people :mad:

I do apologise. Somebody is going to post "pics?" though.
To the OP, children can be cruel. You probably are attractive now, but I think you should go to your doctor about this maybe they will refer you to a psychiatrist or something? I don't know if it is body dysmorphic disorder because I though that was with just one body part eg. nose.
Reply 5
well i used to obsess about my jaw, like seriously bad, but since thats been fixed its no longer an issue and im happy with it, but now i obsess over my ose and am convinced i need a nose job :frown:
chp89
When i was younger i was always very shy so was basicly a great target for bullys, i had such little confidence in myself i was convinced i was ugly, i would get called lanky, and 'wierd looking' and i even remember just sitting down once minding my own buisness and this boy staring and me and just saying' omg i dont mean to be rude but your really ugly'

But im 20 now and two years ago had my teeth fixed (i had jaw surgery and my over bite corrected aswell as braces for two years and teeth whitened)

I guess i wasan 'ugly ducking' as now i dont mean to sound vain because im really really not, but i seem to get so much attention and compliments on how i look i find it really odd. At my new job everyday people are often hitting on me and telling me im really beautiful and have an amazing figure and could be a model. I so want to believe it but i just cant becaus all my life i had it stuck in my head i was ugly, my mum says i have something called body dismorphic disorder, Does anyone else on here have it?

if you do go to the doctor do not even start taking pills to try and make the situtation better, as I personally do think that you need time to adjust to your newlook cause it maybe that your outside outlook has transformed faster than you expected but the inner you is somehow still the same as in mental thing ways. But in the mean time you will get there, plus i remember listening to a song saying that time is a great healer.
Reply 7
Pics
Reply 8
girls will have sex with you for your personality not your looks, always remember that.
Reply 9
Yes, I feel your pain.I still feel ugly, partly because of what was said to me when I was younger.
Reply 10
im a girl not a guy
chp89

I was diagnosed with it a few years ago. Personally I think it was rather pointless as your parents pay for you to see a private shrink ,because the NHS waiting list was well it was lucky if I got to see one at all because I wasn't howling at the moon. All he did was give how I was feeling a name.

The pills were pointless and didn't change how I felt ,in fact when they didn't change my thinking I thought I must be ugly as these pills would work if I were mental. And the psychotherapy was also pointless and I think a money spinner for the priory group. The only thing I found slightly helpful was ,they put me in group therapy with some soldiers who had PTSD. (probably because of my past) and when they heard why I was there they totally took the piss out of me which made me kind of realise how ridiculous I was being. In the end I still suffer from it but I always remember what they said to me which has helped. Great bunch of Lads.

Funnily enough that was one of things I had difficulty with when younger was my teeth and also how I walked. I got bullied terribly but of course now I had treatment for the teeth and the walking was sorted also. The shrink put it down to another bad experience which caused me to get BDD though.
Reply 12
We need pics OP
Reply 13
IMO the best way to get over this is to listen to what people are telling you and take a good look at yourself in a mirror and keep telling yourself you're beautiful and gorgeous and attractive.. this sounds like more of a self esteem problem than anything else, but once your confidence picks up, it will be like a light has switched on, and everything will seem so much easier. You're really lucky you've managed to sort out your overbite and other problems and now you need to enjoy your new look, you're a changed person, go with it! Good luck! x
Sorry, I don't really get it. You said that you're "really hot" so you don't 'have it stuck in you're head that your ugly'.
Reply 15
in after pics?

Latest

Trending

Trending