The Student Room Group

Boyfriend texting another girl - what should I do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
*do
forsaken_earth
I have no idea what you should do - and you clearly don't want to break up with him over the texts, and to be fair I wouldn't either... This is why you don't check their facebook or their texts. You don't have the right to know - they are allowed their personal space.. Whether or not he actually loves you is up to you to decide. Perhaps he wants you around for the easy sex, or maybe he likes stability but is getting bored yet is too much of a coward to admit to it. In any case, he's toying with the idea of a booty call - which can only mean there's not enough spice in your relationship (or he's just not that into you, but i doubt that in this case).

So my advice is try to recall the person you were when he fell in love with you... Maybe the fun, flirty, single girl had some mystery to her that he now misses? Basically, get out there, have a few sick nights out, flirt with other people or don't - whatever floats your boat. Obviously don't cheat on him, but try to remember how fun life can be without your boyfriend. And then come back refreshed and give the poor guy another chance - let's hope he won't blow this one!

Good luck

lol I thought your name was foreskin. Im very tired and a lil drunk so sorry. :s-smilie:
cconstant
lol I thought your name was foreskin. Im very tired and a lil drunk so sorry. :s-smilie:

haha :')
Reply 23
find out who she is...stalk her...plot her death

everyones a winner
cconstant

haha no
Reply 25
Does everyone still think after the most recent post that its not a big deal? I still cant decide what I will do :frown:
Reply 26
Give him the benefit of the doubt but only if you can get over it and not hold it against him. If you can't get over it and properly put it behind you then it's probably best for the both of you that you call it quits.
My boyfriends friends (girls who also exes) changed their names on his phone to NAME is sexy, NAME is the sex, NAME is ******* amazing
So last night we were at a party and long story short i changed all their names on his phone to stuff like NAME is an annoying bitch, NAME is a slag, NAME is a desperate whore... while he watched and laughed because he was the one who called them these names in the first place(:
So anyway, moral of the story is dont finish with him, just make sure he knows that its wrong and lets this girl whos been texting him know he has a girlfriend.. neeever let a past girlfriend muck up your relat.
<3
Reply 28
I'd urge the OP not to follow such a shining example of maturity as expressed above...
Reply 29
Malkmus
Give him the benefit of the doubt but only if you can get over it and not hold it against him. If you can't get over it and properly put it behind you then it's probably best for the both of you that you call it quits.

I think I can provided it was what I think it was. What I'm hoping and thinking it was, was he knew she liked him, shes an alright looking girl (I've seen a picture) and so when he was drunk he liked the attention and the flirting since we are LDR he couldnt get that from me, but at the same time when the bit came to the bit nothing ever actually came of it and he didnt go through with it. Though it did annoy me he kept it from her that he had a gf. Likely because he knew she wouldnt chase him anymore. I dont know Im just guessing at all this, I need some guys thoughts as you know better how the male mind works.

I can certainly forgive it if it was just about the attention and flirting without actual intention (although he did admit there was intention in his mind for a split second when he sent the message asking to go round, but claims he couldnt have actually done it). I don't know what to think anymore!
Reply 30
laurenl93
So last night we were at a party and long story short i changed all their names on his phone to stuff like NAME is an annoying bitch, NAME is a slag, NAME is a desperate whore... while he watched and laughed because he was the one who called them these names in the first place(:

Ugh, I would hate it if my boyfriend were so horrible and derogatory towards his exes. It doesn't paint a picture of him as a very nice person, and begs the question of what he'd be saying about you if you ever broke up ...

Personally I would strongly consider breaking up with a guy who did that, OP (depending on what the relationship/siatuation was like, which obviously people reading this thread won't fully know). I wouldn't be able to get over the fact that he thought about cheating to the extent that he actually propositioned someone (and I know it was only two weeks in, but that should be the exciting time when it's really easy not to be tempted). And I know it didn't go ahead but we don't know why that was. However, it sounds like you should let it go and forgive him because you clearly want to and you believe he's sorry (though personally I would question whether he would ever have gone through it, even though he says he wouldn't have).

Summary: I'd probably end the relationship, but you probably shouldn't.
Reply 31
Jelkin
Ugh, I would hate it if my boyfriend were so horrible and derogatory towards his exes. It doesn't paint a picture of him as a very nice person, and begs the question of what he'd be saying about you if you ever broke up ...

Personally I would strongly consider breaking up with a guy who did that, OP (depending on what the relationship/siatuation was like, which obviously people reading this thread won't fully know). I wouldn't be able to get over the fact that he thought about cheating to the extent that he actually propositioned someone (and I know it was only two weeks in, but that should be the exciting time when it's really easy not to cheat!). However, it sounds like you should let it go and forgive him because you clearly want to and you believe he's sorry (though personally I would question whether he would ever have gone through it, even though he says he wouldn't have).

Summary: I'd probably end the relationship, but you probably shouldn't.

The thing is that is what it is like when we are together, exciting and the whole just generally cant keep our hands off each other. Its just because were LDR during summer while not at uni that we cant see each other that often to have this all the time. Although we have only been official for a few weeks we are still extremely close because be spent a year together getting to know each other as friends and 7 months seeing each other before we became official.

I agree the hardest part was the fact that even for a split second he thought about to the point of actually sending that message. He says he was very drunk and it was just a stupid thought that he subconciously didnt actually want. And as for if he'd have done it or not, he swears to me that even if it got to the point where he was round alone with her, when it was about to him he just couldnt have went through with it. Whether that is the true I don't know. I think he does mean that, but my worry is maybe he doesn't even know what he would have done had it come down to it.
Reply 32
Sounds like he's sorry to me. I know you probs feel upset about things, but the way he reacted shows that he genuinely cares for you, and regrets the texts. If he had been guilty then he would have reacted differently, not to mention not letting you look through his texts. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt personally. Oh and because this has happened don't be tempted to have a quick look through his texts in future "just out of curiosity" lol. It's a slipperly slope and can really ruin things
Reply 33
Anonymous
The thing is that is what it is like when we are together, exciting and the whole just generally cant keep our hands off each other. Its just because were LDR during summer while not at uni that we cant see each other that often to have this all the time. Although we have only been official for a few weeks we are still extremely close because be spent a year together getting to know each other as friends and 7 months seeing each other before we became official.

I agree the hardest part was the fact that even for a split second he thought about to the point of actually sending that message. He says he was very drunk and it was just a stupid thought that he subconciously didnt actually want. And as for if he'd have done it or not, he swears to me that even if it got to the point where he was round alone with her, when it was about to him he just couldnt have went through with it. Whether that is the true I don't know. I think he does mean that, but my worry is maybe he doesn't even know what he would have done had it come down to it.

It sounds like you want to forgive him, so I think you should. None of us really understand the situation or your relationship properly and none of us were with you when you confronted him about it.

However, I am also in a relationship with a guy from uni, so during vacations we don't see eachother that often either. And I would still go absolutely mental if he did anything like that. I mean, would you have considered sleeping with a guy you didn't even like that much just because he was paying you attention and your boyfriend wasn't about? I consider the fact that he was drunk to be pretty irrelevant, unless he plans never to get drunk again ...

it was just a stupid thought that he subconciously didnt actually want

And this ... :hmmm:
Reply 34
Anonymous
I think he does mean that, but my worry is maybe he doesn't even know what he would have done had it come down to it.

That's understandable and something that COULD have happened, but it didn't. Thing is it's one of those things that you can't do much about because you can't keep a close watch on when he talks/texts her because you'd be in the wrong for spying on him, and you can't dump him for something he could potentially do in the future (all relationships have that risk). You'd be best just to let it go, move on and try and get back to normal with him. You gotta put your heart and trust on the line, or relationships will never work. It doesn't sound like he would cheat on you though
Reply 35
gez_09*
Sounds like he's sorry to me. I know you probs feel upset about things, but the way he reacted shows that he genuinely cares for you, and regrets the texts. If he had been guilty then he would have reacted differently, not to mention not letting you look through his texts. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt personally. Oh and because this has happened don't be tempted to have a quick look through his texts in future "just out of curiosity" lol. It's a slipperly slope and can really ruin things

Definitely agree with this.

In the end, I am a massive stresspot in a relationship. If you can get over it and truly believe he's sorry and feel you can trust him again, then don't not forgive him just for the sake of it!
Reply 36
gez_09*

How do you think he would have reacted differently? He admits in a way he was guilty as he says he knew that it was wrong to send those messages.
Break up with him. He deserves a life outside you.
Reply 38
Give him a second chance.
Reply 39
Jelkin
It sounds like you want to forgive him, so I think you should. None of us really understand the situation or your relationship properly and none of us were with you when you confronted him about it.

However, I am also in a relationship with a guy from uni, so during vacations we don't see eachother that often either. And I would still go absolutely mental if he did anything like that. I mean, would you have considered sleeping with a guy you didn't even like that much just because he was paying you attention and your boyfriend wasn't about? I consider the fact that he was drunk to be pretty irrelevant, unless he plans never to get drunk again ...

And this ... :hmmm:

I said all that to him and he said that all he can say is hes sorry the thought came into his head, it went away very fast, and he never actually wanted her. He said he wants me and no one else...*sigh* and im just thinking why were you such a total douche then?!

I agree I think I really do want to forgive him so I probably should. Just the issue now of how to get over this, learn to trust him again and not get paranoid every time hes going to get drunk. Im hoping the trust will come back in time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending