The Student Room Group

IB 45 points - what's next?

Hey, so I was wondering if you could help me decide what to do cause my current situation is kinda strange.

I wanna apply for Economics/PPE to Oxford and LSE. I got my IB results this year and I got the maximum 45 points. The problem is, I have Maths Standard Level and most of the top econ courses either require or highly recommend Maths HL. SO here's my question:

Is it worth applying to Oxford PPE, Oxford Econ&Mgmt, LSE Econ or LSE Govt&Econ? Id hate to get turned down despite my IB score just because I dont have HL maths. What do you think? Any help/opinion would be much appreciated :smile: :smile:
Reply 1
Is there anyway you can do HL maths next year, or even a one year A Level in maths?

As you say, you've done really well and it'd be a shame to not get into Oxford.

Deffo call up admissions there though and ask :smile:
Reply 2
I can't help, but just wanted to say well done :biggrin:
Reply 3
If you do, say, A-level Maths in a year (I'd imagine that the AS will overlap with the SL so it's only the A2 stuff you need to focus on), then you'll probably be accepted into anywhere you pick... 45/45 is crazy, but I'm sure you already know that.
Reply 4
mattgasior
Hey, so I was wondering if you could help me decide what to do cause my current situation is kinda strange.

I wanna apply for Economics/PPE to Oxford and LSE. I got my IB results this year and I got the maximum 45 points. The problem is, I have Maths Standard Level and most of the top econ courses either require or highly recommend Maths HL. SO here's my question:

Is it worth applying to Oxford PPE, Oxford Econ&Mgmt, LSE Econ or LSE Govt&Econ? Id hate to get turned down despite my IB score just because I dont have HL maths. What do you think? Any help/opinion would be much appreciated :smile: :smile:
The only way to get a sure answer on this is to contact Oxford and LSE and talk to them. Anything we say is likely to be speculation. Your situation is highly unusual, so there may be room for maneouvre, but only the unis can tell you so.
Reply 5
mattgasior

first of all congrats on your maximum points..

call up/email the respective departments to ask whether the math HL is really necessary. but well you ARE 45 points after all... top of the ib world technically. haha, so maybe they will give leeway to you.

but i really think thats no harm in applying to those courses, maybe ask your math teacher to write the reference for ucas to aid your cause?
Reply 6
WOW you have a 45? That's unreal, congratulations. I'm pretty sure you are fine without HL Math as you have a perfect score nevertheless. My friend was thinking of applying to Oxford PPE with 7's in HL Econ and History and a 6 in SL Math.
The only way to find out is ask. If you talk to the admission tutors and they insist on Maths HL you could maybe do it as a certificate subject, or do A level maths.

Latest

Trending

Trending