The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, but I may be able to answer any questions you may have. :smile:
Reply 2
Aww thanks.

Well, my older sister was arrested back in December, as her door was locked and the police officers were trying to get into her room. She apparently took too long to answer the door, and this meant that my mum's boyfriend jumped through the window and ran off.
Long story.
But I was just wondering what the court might decide? She has court this coming week, and I'm panicking about it! Could she go to prison (she's 16) or am I just worrying way too much?
Can I politely ask - why had your sister locked your mothers boyfriend in her bedroom with her? The reason I'm asking is that it sounds like the only reason was to obstruct the police and this has a bearing on how she will be viewed by the court.

It will also depend on what history she had and the effect her obstruction had i.e. did they pick him up 5 minutes later or did he commit mass murder because he was at liberty because of her obstruction.

I have no experience of this type of thing but somebody else who has might be able to help more with clarification.
Reply 4
I am shocked she was actually arrested for that to be honest, its such a minor thing.
What did the CPS say?
What I will say is, don't panic, I doubt your sister will be going to Prison. That is highly unlikely. Most probable is a fine if found or pleading guilty. A fine for this offence cannot exceed £1000. Of course that means anything from £1-£1000.
For you information, the maximum prison sentence is 1 month, but like I said, that is unlikely.
If your sister has previous convictions then things can turn sour.

If you have a good lawyer then it is quite possible to be found not guilty.

However, if your sister was really obstructing the Police and was allowing him time then I expect justice will ensue.

Can I ask, is your sister pleading guilty or not. And was she genuinely slow getting to the door?
Reply 5
Perfect_Gent
Can I politely ask - why had your sister locked your mothers boyfriend in her bedroom with her? The reason I'm asking is that it sounds like the only reason was to obstruct the police and this has a bearing on how she will be viewed by the court.

It will also depend on what history she had and the effect her obstruction had i.e. did they pick him up 5 minutes later or did he commit mass murder because he was at liberty because of her obstruction.

I have no experience of this type of thing but somebody else who has might be able to help more with clarification.

Sure, that's why I said long story!

Basically, mother's boyfriend isn't allowed in the house. So, as he has a daughter, he thought it would be a good idea to bring Christmas presents over on Christmas Eve. He climbed in through my sister window, to give her the presents, as her window has a ledge underneath it. Her door is always locked at night, as she doesn't trust me or our brother's with her laptop or money.
Reply 6
Terryw
I am shocked she was actually arrested for that to be honest, its such a minor thing.
What did the CPS say?
What I will say is, don't panic, I doubt your sister will be going to Prison. That is highly unlikely. Most probable is a fine if found or pleading guilty. A fine for this offence cannot exceed £1000. Of course that means anything from £1-£1000.
For you information, the maximum prison sentence is 1 month, but like I said, that is unlikely.
If your sister has previous convictions then things can turn sour.

If you have a good lawyer then it is quite possible to be found not guilty.

However, if your sister was really obstructing the Police and was allowing him time then I expect justice will ensue.

Can I ask, is your sister pleading guilty or not. And was she genuinely slow getting to the door?

Thanks a lot :smile: She pleaded not guilty, after her solicitor advised her to. And I think she was panicking to open the door, as there were 8 policemen/women on the landing. I would have panicked too.
Obviously, I wasn't in there so I can only make assumptions.
Reply 7
Bemy
Sure, that's why I said long story!

Basically, mother's boyfriend isn't allowed in the house. So, as he has a daughter, he thought it would be a good idea to bring Christmas presents over on Christmas Eve. He climbed in through my sister window, to give her the presents, as her window has a ledge underneath it. Her door is always locked at night, as she doesn't trust me or our brother's with her laptop or money.

Your story is not adding up.
So he went in through a window, he entered someone else's houses without permission. How did the Police know he was there and why were they after him?
Reply 8
Terryw
Your story is not adding up.
So he went in through a window, he entered someone else's houses without permission. How did the Police know he was there and why were they after him?

Why is it not adding up?

My sister let him in through her bedroom window, the council say he's not allowed in. The police have raided our house to check if he's been in here before, I don't know why they keep doing it.
Bemy
Why is it not adding up?

My sister let him in through her bedroom window, the council say he's not allowed in. The police have raided our house to check if he's been in here before, I don't know why they keep doing it.

Why is he not allowed in? And why would the police care so much as to regularly raid your house?
Reply 10
Bemy
Why is it not adding up?

So he was on premises to which he is not allowed. There is a law break already.

He entered her bedroom window, yet you said her room was not on the ground floor, how did he manage to climb into her window?

So the Police raid your house looking for a man who does not live there and just happen to catch him this time. Lucky.

It seems to be, lets say Man A was in a dwelling without permission of the owner and entered through non-normal means to visit Woman A. Man A is wanted by Police. It is possible Woman A's mother informed Police of Man As presence. Police arrive. Woman A does not open the door. Man A escapes through window. Woman A arrested for obstructing Police.
Reply 11
Clements-
Why is he not allowed in? And why would the police care so much as to regularly raid your house?

Because the local council lady - head of housing or something - says so. It's not a regular thing, just whenever they get told he does something wrong, they come and raid the house to see if he's in here.
Bemy
Because the local council lady - head of housing or something - says so. It's not a regular thing, just whenever they get told he does something wrong, they come and raid the house to see if he's in here.

Right.... Tbh, this story just doesn't make sense.
Reply 13
Terryw
So he was on premises to which he is not allowed. There is a law break already.

For him, yes. I'm not too worried about what happens to him. The question was about my sister.

Terryw
He entered her bedroom window, yet you said her room was not on the ground floor, how did he manage to climb into her window?

I have already said, there is a ledge underneath her window.
Reply 14
Clements-
Right.... Tbh, this story just doesn't make sense.

Sorry, I'm trying to explain best I can.
Anyways, your sister will probably be fine. As already said, it's likely the outcome will just be a fine, if that.
Reply 16
spikeymike
Oh yeah... how did he manage to get the presents up then? :rolleyes: It'd be ok if the bedroom was on the ground floor...

Perhaps in a bag? :rolleyes:
Reply 17
Bemy
For him, yes. I'm not too worried about what happens to him. The question was about my sister.

I have already said, there is a ledge underneath her window.

Right.

OK some of what your saying I think is twisted truth. Is this man 100% her Dad?

Why is he not allowed to enter the house? That makes no sense.

Why was he wanted by the Police?

Your story doesn't really add up and so my advice is, don't panic about your sister, a fine is most likely unless it was very clear obstruction to which lead to a serious offender escape. Like I said, frin of up to £1000 and/or a Maximum of 1month in Prison.

Back off topic slightly, it would take more than a few seconds to open and get out of a 1str floor window. That is much more time than it is to open a locked door.

It does sound like she was being slow to allow time for him to get out.

People, including myself have pointed out weaknesses in your story and lawyers will do this too, so be fully prepared in court. Clearly the story you have posted is slightly twisted and of course biased.
Reply 18
Sister was being told under duress from your mum's boyfriend to not unlock the door. She was scared and didn't know what to do. She apologises for causing any unnecessary delay for the Police to gain access to the room and under normal circumstances would assist the Police in any way she could.

Reply 19
Terryw
Right.

OK some of what your saying I think is twisted truth. Is this man 100% her Dad?

Why is he not allowed to enter the house? That makes no sense.

Why was he wanted by the Police?

Your story doesn't really add up and so my advice is, don't panic about your sister, a fine is most likely unless it was very clear obstruction to which lead to a serious offender escape. Like I said, frin of up to £1000 and/or a Maximum of 1month in Prison.

Back off topic slightly, it would take more than a few seconds to open and get out of a 1str floor window. That is much more time than it is to open a locked door.

It does sound like she was being slow to allow time for him to get out.

People, including myself have pointed out weaknesses in your story and lawyers will do this too, so be fully prepared in court.

No the man isn't her dad. Never said he was.

Why he's not allowed in the house and why he was wanted isn't really important, it was minor, nothing as serious as murder or rape.

And her window has a catch on it, and tons of dvds on the window sill. As well as blinds. It would take more than a few seconds.

I'm sorry it doesn't add up, I am going by what she told me. I just wanted to know what would happen to her. Thanks for your help.

Latest

Trending

Trending