The Student Room Group

I am Sikh and he is Hindu! [♥]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Different religions- most asian people are taught it as a no no
My brother has a Hindu girlfriend and we all hate her, Hindu bitch. We won't be having a Sikh wedding OR funeral for that one. :mad:
Reply 62
Nutta!
OooOOO getting married to a sikh is going to be hard but not too bad..

Your parents are going to majorly pissed off- don't bring it up unless YOU DEFO know that you wanna be together.

I mean is he REALLY worth it.?

What if parents disown you? I mean would you still risk that?

Its better ( not as bad of a situation) than a hindu/muslim marriage.

Sikhism and Hinduism are from the same roots I think (Im not sure)
( Yep im going to loads of hindus and sikhs ripping my head about this?!)

If you are serious good luck- it takes balls to marry a person from the different religion.

Fight for whats worth fighting for...

Cause they might be pissed off if the marriage doesnt work out and since you are in the state of "not being a virgin" they arent going to be too happy letting you a second marriage...

I mean a YEAR IS NOTHING in my eyes, if you are really really serious about it give it more thought. Talk to your bf about it... is he ready? Are you ready or is the idea so awesome you can just picture the good side....

Can you cope without the family support if the situation arose that they did disown you? (Something asians take for granted)

As for restirctions- make sure no one knows about him espescially siblings.

What they dont know can't hurt them

Im not judging you- food for thought...

DITTO :yes: same thing I was going to say...
To the OP: Eiether your parents have a racist view towards hindus or they don't understand their own religion. The founder of Sikhism was born into a hindu family anyway and married a hindu wife!!
Reply 64
Anonymous
My brother has a Hindu girlfriend and we all hate her, Hindu bitch. We won't be having a Sikh wedding OR funeral for that one. :mad:

I forgot to mention the guy is a British Indian but Gujarati while I speak Punjabi? If we have kids its going to be hard?
Charzhino
To the OP: Eiether your parents have a racist view towards hindus or they don't understand their own religion. The founder of Sikhism was born into a hindu family anyway and married a hindu wife!!

You can't be racist towards a religion :wink: And India is actually made up of four "cultural" groups - western aryans, eastern aryans, hindustanis and dravidians.

To OP - what difference does religion make? If your parents don't let you, dump them and move away, and if they can't really legally do anything.

Seriously though, it sounds like you're in the midst of passion. You want to marry him? How long've you two been together?
Lefty Leo
You can't be racist towards a religion :wink: And India is actually made up of four "cultural" groups - western aryans, eastern aryans, hindustanis and dravidians.

To OP - what difference does religion make? If your parents don't let you, dump them and move away, and if they can't really legally do anything.

Seriously though, it sounds like you're in the midst of passion. You want to marry him? How long've you two been together?

Isn't everyone from India considered a Hindustani? Explain the differences between the 4 cultural groups, plz. :smile:
Anonymous
I forgot to mention the guy is a British Indian but Gujarati while I speak Punjabi? If we have kids its going to be hard?

Your mother brought you up and this is how you repay her and her true Punjabi blood? With GUJURATI!?! Monkeys speak better. :mad:
Ladipidoo
Isn't everyone from India considered a Hindustani? Explain the differences between the 4 cultural groups, plz. :smile:

Yeah they are :yep: But Hindustani refers to the rough area of the Delhi sultanate, from Avadh to Mandla upto Punjab and Kashmir - the indians most affected by persian culture (reflected in cooking most strongly i think).
Anonymous
Your mother brought you up and this is how you repay her and her true Punjabi blood? With GUJURATI!?! Monkeys speak better. :mad:

What's wrong with being Gujarati? :curious:
Reply 70
Just mention to your parents Guru Nanak was a hindu and became sikh so technically your not really doing anything wrong.
Sikhs treat everyone as equal, no where does it say in the Guru Granth sahib ji that sikhs should marry sikhs.
Also mention your great (I think) grandfather, just say he was hindu and converted to sikhism. (Actually thats wierd, I think my mums father is hindu who converted to sikhism, I remember my mum saying that he married a sikh) and if they disown you still after that then just leave it to the fact that they don't follow their own religion and care more about what other people say.
Ladipidoo

Nothing, there's nothing wrong with trying and failing to be Punjabi.
Reply 72
Anonymous

Can I just ask why you dislike Hindus? even thought your brothers gf is one? Arn't we all Indians end of day?
Ladipidoo

A lot of our countrymen are cursed with a regionalist, castist and racist mentality. Ignore them :awesome:
Reply 74
Anonymous
Hey,

Well basically for a year now I have had a Hindu boyfriend and I am a Sikh myself. We are scared to tell our parents incase they won't let us get married! Also restrict me from seeing him :frown:.

But both our families are originally from India! We are British Indians. So they should right? What should I do!!?

I need advice and help asap!

Thanks

hey, my cousin got married to a hindu last year (were sikh)
at first when they got engaged, her mum was cool with it, but her dad refused to speak to her, and obviously various aunts/uncles family members weren't too pleased
but, we (as in her cousins) we're totally fine with it, and obviously my parents didn't want to stop me from seeing her
they didn't do much together family-wise when they were engaged and her dad loved her way too much to completely disown her so he agreed to the marriage and it happened!
i could lie and say everything was all dandy, but people are only just starting to accept him into the family, but she thinks he's worth fighting for and stood her ground so its all worked out fine!

but maybe you should get your parents used to the fact you're seeing a hindu before mentioning marriage, they'll know that if you told them about him it's got to be serious.
and besides, if it wasn't for hindus we wouldn't even exist, so your basically giving something back :wink:
lol, good luck xx
Anonymous
Your mother brought you up and this is how you repay her and her true Punjabi blood? With GUJURATI!?! Monkeys speak better.

I can tell this is Singhz. Please, go die.

I brought this situation up with my mum and got ranted at before :erm:

OP - I'd wait a little longer and decide if he's really 'the one', so to say, before you get talking about marriage and stuff.
Reply 76
Anonymous

it's seriously not a problem, i know mallus getting married to gujus for instance, and it's not an issue. sometimes the kids know both languages, sometimes they only pick up one, sometimes they just speak english only (which occurs a lot lot lot for homogeneous marriages as well!!)
Anonymous
Can I just ask why you dislike Hindus? even thought your brothers gf is one? Arn't we all Indians end of day?

Can I just ask why your parents wouldn't like Hindus or any other religion for that fact ?? Aren't we all humans at the end of the day ?
Anonymous
Nothing, there's nothing wrong with trying and failing to be Punjabi.

Did she say he wanted to be Punjabi? Apologies if she has.
And why all the hate towards your brother's Hindu gf? It's not like she's not Indian. You should stop being so narrow-minded.
Reply 79
Anonymous

so true!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending