The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Smack
A misogynist? Are you stupid or something?

I've unfortunately been subjected to images of it on the net and it was not in the least bit pleasant.

And no, I'm not stupid, I'm just under the impression that if you hate a woman for something which makes her fundamentally a woman and more importantly, a human being, you must be a misogynist. Vous comprenez?
campy
And no, I'm not stupid, I'm just under the impression that if you hate a woman for something which makes her fundamentally a woman and more importantly, a human being, you must be a misogynist. Vous comprenez?

Yes, you are being stupid. Hairy armpits and legs is part of being 'fundamentally woman' in the same way that having a foot-long beard and a furry back is being 'fundamentally man'.

I struggle to see the logic there ... probably because there is none. And as I said no amount of feminist guilt is ever going to change how I feel.
Depends how she carries it off.

She would have to be of the feisty variety, with an "I don't give a **** what you think" attitude - very shexy
Reply 103
Smack
Yes, you are being stupid. Hairy armpits and legs is part of being 'fundamentally woman' in the same way that having a foot-long beard and a furry back is being 'fundamentally man'.

I struggle to see the logic there ... probably because there is none. And as I said no amount of feminist guilt is ever going to change how I feel.

No amount of you saying that will stop me arguing. I enjoy this because it makes me feel righteous. My boyfriend doesn't have a furry back-hair differs much more in men. And you cannot compare the two. Firstly, It's almost impossible to grow a beard that long as hair constantly replinishes itself. this means unless you have poor quality hair, a feat like that could take centuries. Secondly, men often shave beards as a matter of practicality and ease, and they have the choice: they are accepted whether they let a beard grow out a little or if they are clean shaven. So, using your logic, shouldn't women be given the same choice and still be accepted in regards to their body hair?
Reply 104
campy
Also, here's a photo of julia roberts from the notting hill premiere when she controversially bared her hairy pits. Feel free to vomit.
http://z.about.com/d/hairremoval/1/0/k/1/-/-/Julia-Robertsarmpit2.jpg

Oh my.

Not that she's attractive anyway, but that certainly doesn't help matters.
Reply 105
polaroid13
I was just making conversation. :o:
I was bored. :sigh:

I wasn't ending conversation, but merely saying that these days, we're very nit-picky over our appearances, when relly for some things, there isn't a need to worry!
Reply 106
I despair.
campy
No amount of you saying that will stop me arguing. I enjoy this because it makes me feel righteous. My boyfriend doesn't have a furry back-hair differs much more in men. And you cannot compare the two. Firstly, It's almost impossible to grow a beard that long as hair constantly replinishes itself. this means unless you have poor quality hair, a feat like that could take centuries. Secondly, men often shave beards as a matter of practicality and ease, and they have the choice: they are accepted whether they let a beard grow out a little or if they are clean shaven. So, using your logic, shouldn't women be given the same choice and still be accepted in regards to their body hair?

Interesting point - I guess I agree with your logic. I detect a bit of an anti-male bias though: yes, women should be given the same choice and still be accepted as regards their body hair, but women are just as quick to chastise (and therefore reinforce the status quo) as any male, no?
if she had never shaved her legs, i wouldn't really mind... it's when girls start to shave and then stop that it can be a bit eugh.
armpits though, just no.
Reply 109
Blatant Troll
Interesting point - I guess I agree with your logic. I detect a bit of an anti-male bias though: yes, women should be given the same choice and still be accepted as regards their body hair, but women are just as quick to chastise (and therefore reinforce the status quo) as any male, no?

Totally. I would still be arguing my side whether it was against a male or female: I wasn't targetting men in general. I'm against female chauvinism too, it slows down progress and as with all stereotypes/views, the more people repeat them and defend them the more they are reinforced. I'm just trying to do a bit of damage control...some anti-reinforcement in favour of us women who like a bit of hair here and there.

Also, I am not in any way anti-male. I am anti-people-who-are-anti-me :smile:. I am a fan of men. Mostly I'm a fan of one man in particular, a man who happens to be on my side :smile:
campy

1) Some of us males do have very furry backs, just like some women barely have any armpit or leg hair.

2) It's not impossible to grow a foot long beard as I have seen ones that look about that length plenty of times

3) 'Foot long' was a metaphor anyway ... if you cannot see the difference between metaphorical and literal then there is little point in you responding. 'Vomit' was also not literal; I used that word to show just how disgusted I would be if I saw such a thing.

4) I shave my beard and stubble because it's more comfortable and some girls prefer me clean shaven.

5) Men with foot long beards are not nearly as accepted by the opposite sex as those who are clean shaven or sporting a bit of stubble.

6) Your points are all rubbish and show how hopelessly naive and argumentative you are.

7) I never said women who have body hair should not be accepted by society. I gave my opinion about it backed up by how I feel about it. I couldn't care less about what other men or women think. Stop using strawmen ...
Reply 111
franfranfranlol
if she had never shaved her legs, i wouldn't really mind... it's when girls start to shave and then stop that it can be a bit eugh.
armpits though, just no.

This claim is unfounded. Hair does not grow back any different to how it was before: it is the same hair follicle, after all. It is an urban myth that hair grows back thicker or darker. The only difference is that when it's just starting to grow back, it is short and does therefore feel like beard stubble for a short while.
Reply 112
Smack
1) Some of us males do have very furry backs, just like some women barely have any armpit or leg hair.

2) It's not impossible to grow a foot long beard as I have seen ones that look about that length plenty of times

3) 'Foot long' was a metaphor anyway ... if you cannot see the difference between metaphorical and literal then there is little point in you responding. 'Vomit' was also not literal; I used that word to show just how disgusted I would be if I saw such a thing.

4) I shave my beard and stubble because it's more comfortable and some girls prefer me clean shaven.

5) Men with foot long beards are not nearly as accepted by the opposite sex as those who are clean shaven or sporting a bit of stubble.

6) Your points are all rubbish and show how hopelessly naive and argumentative you are.

7) I never said women who have body hair should not be accepted by society. I gave my opinion about it backed up by how I feel about it. I couldn't care less about what other men or women think. Stop using strawmen ...

1) As i said, not all men have furry backs, and not all men are hairless.

2)I never said it was impossible, just scientifically difficult

3)I don't think it matters whether or not 'vomit' was a metaphor, the sentiments are the same. Furthermore, I actuallywent on to talk about how men are allowed to grow their beards out a little bit if they want. I did not say anything about taking your foot-long metaphor literally. In fact, that part was one of my best arguments. I am proud. Well done for not noticing that.

4) I also mentioned the fact that with some men, shaving is a practicality, not because it looks good or whatever. I never slated men for shaving: I was arguing that in society, men are allowed to shave or not shave as they wish. Your arguments are irrelevant.

5) I know they are not, however growing a 'foot-long beard' is not something which happens unavoidabley within a day or two, and you don't need to irritate your skin to remove it. You can just trim it. And if you're talking about the metaphorical foot-long beard again, it's a matter of personal preference as opposed to societal expectation.

6) This is irrelevant. My points are valid and you are now showing immaturity, by using insults to try and throw me. Good luck.

7) You are reinforcing the societal ideal that women with body hair are disgusting. If you wanted to achieve the goal which you have stated there, then maybe a more appropriate response would be 'It's not for me' not 'If I saw a woman with hairy armpits I'd probably vomit'
also, strawmen?

8) Well done for the numbers. It really helped me see in a nice, numerical order how utterly close-minded you're being.

p.s. sorry for typos in advance
campy
Totally. I would still be arguing my side whether it was against a male or female: I wasn't targetting men in general. I'm against female chauvinism too, it slows down progress and as with all stereotypes/views, the more people repeat them and defend them the more they are reinforced. I'm just trying to do a bit of damage control...some anti-reinforcement in favour of us women who like a bit of hair here and there.

Also, I am not in any way anti-male. I am anti-people-who-are-anti-me :smile:. I am a fan of men. Mostly I'm a fan of one man in particular, a man who happens to be on my side :smile:

Fair enough, it's all good. I also wanted to try and articulate the point in bold in my post, but you did so perfectly.

...that was probably the most pleasant debate I have ever had on TSR :lolwut:

No real problems with arms or legs, but I used to be with someone whose vagina hair was obscene and that was a real turn-off.

i'm a girl and the idea of body hair on girls makes me feel sick. no hair nowhere. ok so i dont shave my arms or anything...im not particularly hairy anyway but ughhh i would hate to have armpit/leg/fanny hair EVER!! ughhh...
Reply 115
Blatant Troll
Fair enough, it's all good. I also wanted to try and articulate the point in bold in my post, but you did so perfectly.

...that was probably the most pleasant debate I have ever had on TSR :lolwut:

:smile:
This claim is unfounded. Hair does not grow back any different to how it was before: it is the same hair follicle, after all. It is an urban myth that hair grows back thicker or darker. The only difference is that when it's just starting to grow back, it is short and does therefore feel like beard stubble for a short while.

actually, that's incorrect. i dated a girl who stopped shaving/waxing her legs after a few years, and the result was quite obscene.
your mum doesn't shave and she's good enough for me :smile:
Reply 118
oh right, so shaving and waxing meant all her hair suddenly morphed into gorilla hair? nope, that's wrong. she probably started shaving before puberty was over and therefore, had not experienced the true colour and/or thickness of natural body hair.

Latest

Trending

Trending