The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster Uni's Theatre Group

Hi everyone!

Just thought I'd get my advertising hat on and tell you all about Lancaster University Theatre Group (LUTG for short), which has all your acting and backstage needs covered in one awesome society.

Next term we're going to be putting on four shows and will be looking for actors and people to do backstage work and make them a success! Plus if you join our society (for £5 a year - bargain!), you'll get the chance to act in or help out with the 10 or more professional-quality shows we'll be putting on this year at Lancaster! As well as this, we'll be having loads of socials and fun events to keep you occupied throughout the year! We're one of the biggest societies at Lancaster, meaning you'll get to meet loads of friendly, amazing people through Theatre Group :smile:

How does that sound? Pretty amazing, I think you'll agree!

For more info about LUTG and what we do, we've got a website:
www.theatregroup.co.uk

And a Facebook group:
http://www.facebook.com/groups.php?ref=sb#/group.php?gid=2205325042

I'll also be around to answer any questions you might have about LUTG, so feel free to ask away.

Hope to see you at Freshers Fair!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm so much interested in this group! I have acted in some plays at school I loved it, but English language is not my native, could it be a problem? :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
That's great! I was starting to think we wouldn't be getting any Freshers this year...

That shouldn't be a problem at all, especially not if you've already acted in plays at school. :smile: You don't need to have any acting experience to be part of Theatre Group, so having some already is an added bonus!

I'd definitely recommend giving it a go and seeing what happens - the auditions are really fun! I look forward to seeing you either at Freshers Fair or at the auditions :biggrin:.
Reply 3
That sounds really fun :smile:

I can't wait to get joining all of these societies! I don't know how good an actress I will be though! What sort of background work do you mean? :smile:
Reply 4
Backstage work would include things like lighting, makeup, costumes, set-building + painting... there's more info on our website: www.theatregroup.co.uk :smile:

It's great to hear you'd be interested in helping out backstage, we're hoping to build up a big team of "techies" next year, and the shows are always looking out for people to help sort out the technical side of things.

When you join the society next term, you'll be able to either be put on our list of techies or if you ever felt like acting (e.g. if there was a show you were really interested in) you'd also be able to do that too - some of our members switch between acting and backstage work, depending on what they feel like doing each term!

I should have told you what next term's shows are going to be in my first post, so here we are:

Animal Farm (by George Orwell)
The Crucible (by Arthur Miller)
Our Country's Good (by Timberlake Wertenbaker) - I'll be Assistant Directing that one!
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (by Edward Albee)

All four look like they're going to be really good and fun, and there's more info on each play on the website. Check it out! :biggrin:
Reply 5
Hey! Just to let you know (all being well.... eek) you've got another fresher - a bit of a techie - if you'll have me :biggrin:

I'm very excited already! :clap2:
Reply 6
We definitely will! Good luck with your results :smile:
I am definitely interested!!! I've always said I wanted to join drama club at Uni :teeth:
Reply 8
Great to hear it! I love being part of LUTG and I know you will too, it's awesome :smile:.
Reply 9
meandmylies
We definitely will! Good luck with your results :smile:

Thankyou :smile:

Thinking positive; I'll see you in a few weeks! :yep:

(:erm:)
hhhhhhhhhhmmmm
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Nice one - it's definitely worth giving it a go, and we'll try to make auditioning as fun as we can for you! :smile:
If you're interested in LUTG then why not RAG. (admittedly my linking is awful)

Join RAG £3 for the year and you get to help raise money for charity. Plus my added favourite volunteering at the annual beer festival at Lancaster town hall. 3 days of pouring pints and drinking as much as you want for a good cause. Also looks great on your CV and we could do with some extra men on the Exec.

All views expressed about drinking are my own and if you volunteer you are in no way encouraged to drink excessively. :wink:

http://rag.lusu.co.uk/
Reply 13
It might be just me but the website doesn't seem to be working? I was a stage manager at my previous uni for three years so I'm intrested in doing backstage stuff again.
Reply 14
Really? I've just checked it and it seems to be working fine for me... What's not working when you go on it?

That's awesome, we have a distinct lack of stage managers in Theatre Group! Your experience and skills would be really useful and everyone would probably love you forever if you stage managed for us next year! At the moment next term's plays are sorted (I think) for stage managers but there'll still be lots of opportunities to do backstage work, and then you could become a stage manager in later terms :biggrin:.
Reply 15
I just get a white page with a box with a small x in it (when a picture doesn't display) and a banner advertising wix, saying that I am on a work PC so maybe I'm lacking a plugin.
Reply 16
Hmm, I'm not sure what's going on there... have you tried it on a different computer? I hope you can get it working again soon. In the meantime, if you have any specific questions I'll be happy to try and get them answered for you.

Good luck with the results, everyone! I know it's really stressful and you've been waiting for ages, but it'll all be worth it - once Thursday's over and done with, you'll be well on your way to being at uni, which is awesome :biggrin:.

Sorry, I always seem so hyper online. I'm not ON anything, honest... :tongue:
Reply 17
bestie
I just get a white page with a box with a small x in it (when a picture doesn't display) and a banner advertising wix, saying that I am on a work PC so maybe I'm lacking a plugin.

the site is run through somestrange form of web interface [java esk applet]... and as such is probably being blocked by your work...

as a long standing member of theareter group i can safely say that its great fun, even if you dont act.. and although acting before is usefull, some great preformances have come from people that have never seen a script before...

so dont be afraid if you have never acted before... its all about getting your foot in the door, get a small part, get to know people, relax [helps alot at auditions... they can be nerve racking... esp when tall was involved] and then say good bye to all your free time for half the year :smile:

for those that dont want to act, we do alot of back stage work, and there is always something for someone to do... just turn up, get involved and get to know people... then you can never leave...

I'll also eco the point/offer of asking any questions you want answering..

p.s. meandmylies, please remind me to pay this year.. or get our esteamed president or treasurer to pay for me and ill pay them back. lusu no. same as last year...
Was it the theatre Group which was responsible for the cracking performance of '12th Night'? If so it was a splendid show and really entertaining. Although whoever played Malvolio put too many socks down his tights. :cool:
Reply 19
That was us! Glad you enjoyed it. And yes, Tall Paul's performance as Malvolio was frightening in more ways than one :tongue:.

I'm guessing athamas = you, Ben H? If so, I've got no qualms about you calling me by my real name instead of my username, haha. And yes, you'd better pay this year! :biggrin:

Hopefully next term's auditions won't be as nerve-wracking as some of them have been in the past (*cough* Hamlet *cough*). I'll be doing my best to make sure the 'Our Country's Good' ones are as fun as possible, at least.

Latest

Trending

Trending