The Student Room Group

Unsure where to apply in regards to their entry requirements

Hi guys, I'm predicted A*AA for A2 in Psychology, Sociology and Business respectively however I'm not sure which 5 unis to apply to in regards to entry requirements. I got AAB at AS however if I put the work in I feel I can achieve what I'm predicted but at the same time I have the doubt in my mind something could go wrong or I don't end up working as much as I perhaps could because I've always had a lazy attitude in everything I do. Due to this I'm not sure how I should apply. I'm thinking UCL(A*AA-AAA), Durham(AAA) and Manchester(AAA) then an AAB and ABB/BBB but if I dont get offers from UCL/Durham/Manchester I'm left with just the AAB and ABB/BBB which I probably won't be as enthusiastic or happy about. This therefore in a sense encourages to be more aspirational and maybe apply to Bath or somewhere which is AAA for my course(Psychology).

Basically, am I to play it safe and get offers from unis I wouldn't be so enthusiastic going to or being aspirational but risking not get offers or getting offers but then not getting the grades and so not gettign in anywhere unless I went through clearing and ended up somewhere I'd feel even less enthusiastic about.

Any advice appreciated, thankyou
Original post by Limeey
Hi guys, I'm predicted A*AA for A2 in Psychology, Sociology and Business respectively however I'm not sure which 5 unis to apply to in regards to entry requirements. I got AAB at AS however if I put the work in I feel I can achieve what I'm predicted but at the same time I have the doubt in my mind something could go wrong or I don't end up working as much as I perhaps could because I've always had a lazy attitude in everything I do. Due to this I'm not sure how I should apply. I'm thinking UCL(A*AA-AAA), Durham(AAA) and Manchester(AAA) then an AAB and ABB/BBB but if I dont get offers from UCL/Durham/Manchester I'm left with just the AAB and ABB/BBB which I probably won't be as enthusiastic or happy about. This therefore in a sense encourages to be more aspirational and maybe apply to Bath or somewhere which is AAA for my course(Psychology).

Basically, am I to play it safe and get offers from unis I wouldn't be so enthusiastic going to or being aspirational but risking not get offers or getting offers but then not getting the grades and so not gettign in anywhere unless I went through clearing and ended up somewhere I'd feel even less enthusiastic about.

Any advice appreciated, thankyou

This didn't need to be so long winded.
Have 3 high, so UCL, Durham and Manchester, then AAB/ABB

The top three are competitive, so having three is wise,- you may only get into one. Competitiveness is still high in the second set, so again, you need more than one.

Just make sure, besides from grades, that you are a very strong candidate.

So something like:

A*AA/AAA
AAA
AAA or AAB
AAB
ABB
(edited 13 years ago)
Definitely don't go for another AAA one, you need 2 backups (ABB/AAB unless you feel you could go down to a C in the subject you got a B in last year). It's too risky having 4 optimistic ones then having only one uni to go for if you fail.
Reply 3
*note* Bath is A*AA this year not AAA

If you are predicted A*AA I think a safe bet would be to apply to one with those requirements, two AAA, and then either two AAB or one AAB and one ABB. I doubt a BBB uni is necessary with those AS results and predictions.

I know what you mean about only being left with offers from lower down unis, but with that prediction I imagine you should be okay to get at least one AAA offer! Just make sure you would be truly happy with all of your choices, and dont just apply based on entry requirements or the hope that you'll never have to go there anyway (especially since one of them could be your insurance, which increases your chance of being there!)

Good unis for Psychology at the lower end of your requirements include Cardiff,Surrey, Sussex & Bangor.

Hope I helped. :smile: x
Reply 4
Thanks for the responses guys, pretty sure I'll do UCL/Manc/Durham then still unsure of my other 2 but they'll be AAB/ABB ones e.g. York has that as their requirement. What sort of things will they consider when deciding if an offer will be AAB or ABB? cheers
Reply 5
Original post by Limeey
Thanks for the responses guys, pretty sure I'll do UCL/Manc/Durham then still unsure of my other 2 but they'll be AAB/ABB ones e.g. York has that as their requirement. What sort of things will they consider when deciding if an offer will be AAB or ABB? cheers

Your personal statement, reference, and generally what kind of impression you make.

Surrey is a good insurance as it offers a placement year which can be an awfully useful thing to have.
Reply 6
Original post by Pheebs1201
Your personal statement, reference, and generally what kind of impression you make.

Surrey is a good insurance as it offers a placement year which can be an awfully useful thing to have.

Thanks for the quick response, this is probably a silly question but my brains fried with all sorts of info/questions atm, the more impressive your statement reference and such the more likely they will lower the offer to ABB? Also cheers for the heads up on Surrey will definitely consider it.
Reply 7
Original post by Limeey
Thanks for the quick response, this is probably a silly question but my brains fried with all sorts of info/questions atm, the more impressive your statement reference and such the more likely they will lower the offer to ABB? Also cheers for the heads up on Surrey will definitely consider it.

I presume so, I believe a lower offer would mean they want you more, therefore you would have impressed them more? Im not entirely sure but that seems logical.

No worries, ask as much as you want and I'll try to help, I found the whole process extremely confusing myself so am glad to have got it sorted now!
Reply 8
hey
firstly, if i had grades like that i would be ecstatic! :smile:
i just applied for podiatry in UWIC and i got a conditional offer for 280 pts. my as grades are rubbish so id say they looked at my personal statement mostly. Apply wherever you want to!

good luck!
x
Reply 9
I presume so, I believe a lower offer would mean they want you more, therefore you would have impressed them more? Im not entirely sure but that seems logical.

No worries, ask as much as you want and I'll try to help, I found the whole process extremely confusing myself so am glad to have got it sorted now!

Yeah as you say I'm finding it horifically confusing, have to make about 200 threads on here a day just to answer my questions. I dunno if it's me not researching properly or simply my teachers etc or websites just don't tell you what you need to know, at least it isn't readily available.

Do you know of any ABB unis reputable generally or for Psychology in particular? *hopes you may be applying for Psychology* :tongue:
Reply 10
Original post by Limeey
No. The PS will be what sets you apart from all the other applicants offering high grades, and gets you the offer at all.

Psychology is one of the more competitive subjects, and high predictions are not a guarantee of offers; those you do get are likely to match or even exceed the typical offer quoted in the prospectus. Unis do sometimes reduce their typical offer in individual cases but in a subject like psychology where the pressure on places is high it's unlikely.

See link in my sig to 'How to Avoid Getting 5 Rejections'.
Original post by Minerva
No. The PS will be what sets you apart from all the other applicants offering high grades, and gets you the offer at all.

Psychology is one of the more competitive subjects, and high predictions are not a guarantee of offers; those you do get are likely to match or even exceed the typical offer quoted in the prospectus. Unis do sometimes reduce their typical offer in individual cases but in a subject like psychology where the pressure on places is high it's unlikely.

See link in my sig to 'How to Avoid Getting 5 Rejections'.

I dont think he means getting an offer lower than they typical, hes asking about how to get the lower end of the typical offer as York's is AAB-ABB and he was wondering what sort of candidate would recieve the lower one.
Reply 12
I dont think he means getting an offer lower than they typical, hes asking about how to get the lower end of the typical offer as York's is AAB-ABB and he was wondering what sort of candidate would recieve the lower one.
Someone from a school with low average achievement. Someone with an exceptional PS/reference. Unless they qualify under one or other of these, applicants should always assume that their offer - if they get one - will be at the higher end of any range, especially now - and, therefore, that their predictions should at least match this.
Original post by Minerva
Someone from a school with low average achievement. Someone with an exceptional PS/reference. Unless they qualify under one or other of these, applicants should always assume that their offer - if they get one - will be at the higher end of any range, especially now - and, therefore, that their predictions should at least match this.

Okay thanks :smile:
Reply 14
I'd go for 3 that need the AAA, but make sure that they themselves differ in competitivness, for example, I have chosen both Durham and Nottingham which require AAA, but Durham is far more competitive for that particular course and so it is my 'daring' option. Make sure you have at least 2 insurance options, if you only have one and are rejected, you will not have another insurance choice... Remember, don't judge a University by its entry requirements, there are plently of options for psychology! Have you considered Leicester? My friend got an ABB offer from them the other day for psychology....
Reply 15
Manchester(AAA) then an AAB and ABB/BBB but if I dont get offers from UCL/Durham/Manchester I'm left with just the AAB

NB Manchester is AAB and ABB if you have another science as well as psychology
Reply 16
"Manchester(AAA) then an AAB and ABB/BBB but if I dont get offers from UCL/Durham/Manchester I'm left with just the AAB"

NB Manchester is actually AAB and ABB if you have another science as well as psychology

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending