The Student Room Group

What the hell - suddenly a social outcast =/

Hi guys,

I have to put this honestly the last 2 months have literally been the worst of my life. Im a final year uni student and I dont know why but suddenly ive become a social outcast.

One of my closest mates who is on a forced gap year visited the uni 3 times so far without telling me. My so called best mate has suddenly spread a whole load of lies about me to my cousin and our joint mates back home which is causing them to lay into me. And out of 6 birthday parties for people who iv always considered really close friends I wasnt invited to 4 of them. To make it worse I didnt even find out they happened until the photo's went up on facebook. These are people who I have spent so much time with, bailed out of sticky situations by sending money or physically backing up in fight, over ran my phonebill by £100 when theyre on a downer just trying to keep them happy etc. To put it straight Iv been the best friend I can honestly be so I dont know why this is all suddenly happening. Once fair enough. But 4 out of 6 bloody hurts!!!

I mean the latest one made me look like a complete idiot. One of my friends (who didnt brush me off on his bday smash up) was shocked when he found me in the library. He was like "how comes you aint in manchester for X's bday?"
Me being told the party is on thursday just said "nah you've got the day wrong, its on thursday." Then as the day wore on I tried getting hold of different mates to chill but none of them were replying to my texts. Finally someone said "oh we're at X's bday thing." I asked what bday thing, and turns out theyd all gone out iceskating and for a meal etc. I was told not to worry because it was a small thing and that only a few people went and that thursday party is for everyone. Then of course the facebook pictures went up. A few people my ass!!! It was literally all of her friends except me. And for me to be texting half the people at the birthday and leaving facebook messages and statuses asking where everyone is hiding has made me look like a complete idiot.

4 out of 6 bday's man. I mean on this most recent one Iv always been there for the girl. Iv sat for hours talking to her when she's down, kept em company, everything!!!!
This seriously takes the piss and it hurts. I feel like billy no mates and honestly don't know why this is happening :frown:

Help :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Ah :console:, that sounds rotten.

At least you know who your real friends are now though. I'd suggest to just try and brush-off the others, make some new friends and concentrate on the ones who didn't leave you in the lurch.
Reply 2
The more concise version!

Problem: I'v been shelved for no reason
Reaction: Wtf
Feeling: Angry and hurt
Needing: Help please
Reply 3
I've had a similar experience recently... My best mate from school lives in Brighton and four of our other mates went down for a visit & night out a couple of months ago. I found out from a FB status of one of the guys, tagging all of our mates except me. I thought fair enough, maybe it was just spare of the moment, so I wrote on it jokingly saying 'thanks for the invite!'. No reply. Then yesterday the guy I thought was a good friend from back in the day writes on all of our mutual friends' walls saying - wanna come down for a big night out on saturday? I mean, he invited people I know for a fact he doesn't even like, so where does that leave me?! Hatred?!

****ing hurts man. I'm just saying **** it, not gonna bother with that lot anymore. Dunno what I've done wrong, but over 10 years of friendship mysteriously dissolved over facebook...
Reply 4
Original post by Steezy
I've had a similar experience recently... My best mate from school lives in Brighton and four of our other mates went down for a visit & night out a couple of months ago. I found out from a FB status of one of the guys, tagging all of our mates except me. I thought fair enough, maybe it was just spare of the moment, so I wrote on it jokingly saying 'thanks for the invite!'. No reply. Then yesterday the guy I thought was a good friend from back in the day writes on all of our mutual friends' walls saying - wanna come down for a big night out on saturday? I mean, he invited people I know for a fact he doesn't even like, so where does that leave me?! Hatred?!

****ing hurts man. I'm just saying **** it, not gonna bother with that lot anymore. Dunno what I've done wrong, but over 10 years of friendship mysteriously dissolved over facebook...

I know what you mean. All I feel is so angry and hate everyone right now. Even people who werent involved I literally hate just because I'v had enough. For it to happen once fair enough. But to happen multiple times in 2 months just hurts. All I know is once this essay Im doing is in on thursday I'm gonna be drowning my sorrows to a paraletic extend with the only 3 people I can trust. Its just so messed up to happen so many times. And for me to be the friend who has actually been there for them. For one of them even walked 3 miles in the bloody snow to help him change tyres cos he was trapped!!! It feels like nothing but use and abuse. It makes no sense and im just vexxed and hurt to a whole new level!
Reply 5
Original post by Ammo
Hi guys,

I have to put this honestly the last 2 months have literally been the worst of my life. Im a final year uni student and I dont know why but suddenly ive become a social outcast.

One of my closest mates who is on a forced gap year visited the uni 3 times so far without telling me. My so called best mate has suddenly spread a whole load of lies about me to my cousin and our joint mates back home which is causing them to lay into me. And out of 6 birthday parties for people who iv always considered really close friends I wasnt invited to 4 of them. To make it worse I didnt even find out they happened until the photo's went up on facebook. These are people who I have spent so much time with, bailed out of sticky situations by sending money or physically backing up in fight, over ran my phonebill by £100 when theyre on a downer just trying to keep them happy etc. To put it straight Iv been the best friend I can honestly be so I dont know why this is all suddenly happening. Once fair enough. But 4 out of 6 bloody hurts!!!

I mean the latest one made me look like a complete idiot. One of my friends (who didnt brush me off on his bday smash up) was shocked when he found me in the library. He was like "how comes you aint in manchester for X's bday?"
Me being told the party is on thursday just said "nah you've got the day wrong, its on thursday." Then as the day wore on I tried getting hold of different mates to chill but none of them were replying to my texts. Finally someone said "oh we're at X's bday thing." I asked what bday thing, and turns out theyd all gone out iceskating and for a meal etc. I was told not to worry because it was a small thing and that only a few people went and that thursday party is for everyone. Then of course the facebook pictures went up. A few people my ass!!! It was literally all of her friends except me. And for me to be texting half the people at the birthday and leaving facebook messages and statuses asking where everyone is hiding has made me look like a complete idiot.

4 out of 6 bday's man. I mean on this most recent one Iv always been there for the girl. Iv sat for hours talking to her when she's down, kept em company, everything!!!!
This seriously takes the piss and it hurts. I feel like billy no mates and honestly don't know why this is happening :frown:

Help :frown:

I know you don't want to hear this but your probably "that friend" you know.. the one that allways makes an ass of themselves and is annoying and makes situations awkward.
Reply 6
Original post by Balaban
I know you don't want to hear this but your probably "that friend" you know.. the one that allways makes an ass of themselves and is annoying and makes situations awkward.

No actually I was the quiet one who everyone trusts with private stuff, was always there for everyone, had jokes with everyone and in general was a half decent mate....or so I thought
Reply 7
I personally think there's someone that's spreading **** about me. There's this one guy I know doesn't like me, but he's the type of fake person that manipulates people rather than saying what he feels. Life is like a game of chess to this guy and he's pretty good at it. I'm just leaving him to it. If people I've known for 10 years are swayed by someone's opinion, they deserve to be ignored. **** em.
Reply 8
I know what you mean. I should just allow these people. But when you care about people and have done so much for them, thats what causes the pain. But then again as the saying goes, "Don't be reckless with other peoples hearts. Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours."
I dnt need this **** in final year man :frown:
Reply 9
Some people just don't deserve real friends. They deserve to be used the way they're using people around them. Maybe it's little naive, but I believe in justice and "Karmic Balance of the Universe"-like bull****, so I bet they'll get what they're after :colone:
Original post by JuliF
Some people just don't deserve real friends. They deserve to be used the way they're using people around them. Maybe it's little naive, but I believe in justice and "Karmic Balance of the Universe"-like bull****, so I bet they'll get what they're after :colone:

If Karma is real then explain Paris Hilton.

OP, you say you were quiet - maybe they decided that you weren't right for the parties and that you might drag their popularity down. Not saying that's alright by the way just saying that it could be the reason.

You'll get over it soon enough and be better for it anyway, some people are just jerks and you've got to leave them behind.
Starting eating apples. There ain't a ****er in this world that doesn't want to be with a geezer eating an apple. It's so badass it ain't true.
Reply 12
Original post by Djrulzforever
Starting eating apples. There ain't a ****er in this world that doesn't want to be with a geezer eating an apple. It's so badass it ain't true.

That must be why I'm allergic to apples.
Original post by Steezy
That must be why I'm allergic to apples.

Sorry, mate. You're ****ed.
Reply 14
Sorry, mate. You're ****ed.

Still got tooth picks :smile:
Ahhh, the cancer that is facebook is spreading.Everyone loves it but me.TBH if there gonna be dicks try and screw with there lives. Just don't start kidnapping peeps k.
Reply 16
Ive seen this happen, both from the inside and out. a couple of new years ago, I blacked out and apparently did some silly stuff. took me a month before some of those mates invited me out to something again. considering I have since done so much worse, I was really confused. I have done terrible things, and been a total c**t and still been forgiven by other sets of mates.

as for you, youd be surprised how much backstabbing goes on in some friendship groups.
Reply 17

Most truth spoke in a long time. When i see randomers eating apples i automatically like them. Weird or what. Im gonna get me some apples.
Reply 18
**** happens sometimes :/
Reply 19
In my honest opinion, i would advise you not to let it bother you. Just ignore them. Find new friends and soon they would come begging to become your friend again. They would see that you are happy when you are with new people. Be happy and don't show your sadness to them. Thy would become jealous and would want to be friends with you again. They are not worth it though if they could do this to you knowing that you have been friends with them for quite some time.

Next time, don't be too nice to any of your friends. Chan ge your mood. Don't be nice all the time, if you do they will take you for granted. Let them be the one to do the chasing so to speak. Being nice will not get you anywhere.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending