The Student Room Group

We're all going to die one day..so why is suicide wrong?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BADBOY89
It is as selfish to force someone to live when it's clear that they want it not. Very easy to say it's selfish. Let's see if you can disprove this. No offense but I just don't like to hear that suicide is selfish because things are more complicated than it looks.:redface:

Well, I don't really think it's intrinsically selfish, because obviously if someone is suicidal and they are not receiving treatment or help, it's the only option for them, I just think putting your friends and family through so much pain is, well wrong I guess.
I don't think it's selfish to force someone to live, because their lives may well get a lot better, and they will have wasted it if they kill themselves.
No offence meant, as I have been there (almost) and I know what it's like x
Original post by IndigoRockGirl
Well, I don't really think it's intrinsically selfish, because obviously if someone is suicidal and they are not receiving treatment or help, it's the only option for them, I just think putting your friends and family through so much pain is, well wrong I guess.
I don't think it's selfish to force someone to live, because their lives may well get a lot better, and they will have wasted it if they kill themselves.
No offence meant, as I have been there (almost) and I know what it's like x

Good point. But: the more you try to moralize someone by yelling at them, the more you urge them to commit the action they are thinking, in this case suicide. The More you tighten your grip on someone, the worse the situation will become instead of better.

Life is one's own property. Suicide should be a right. Plus the life could get worse instead of better.
It is as selfish to force someone to live when it's clear that they want it not. Very easy to say it's selfish. Let's see if you can disprove this. No offense but I just don't like to hear that suicide is selfish because things are more complicated than it looks.:redface:

Suicide isn't selfish. It's impossible for suicide to be selfish, since the 'self' doesn't gain anything from it; the simple fact that the 'self' doesn't exist after the suicide should make this clear.
Original post by Retrodiction
Suicide isn't selfish. It's impossible for suicide to be selfish, since the 'self' doesn't gain anything from it; the simple fact that the 'self' doesn't exist after the suicide should make this clear.

It is not selfish indeed. But some people do say it is. So I said 'as selfish as' to disprove them.
I guess because it goes againt every human instinct we have ever had, the main one being survival. I think it's wrong also because it is extremely selfish, putting your family through that tbh. I have felt suicidal and helpless, but I would never kill myself, because, well it's just completely wasting maybe 50 years of life you have left, which may or may not get better. For all you know, you might win the lottery, or whatever you want to happen etc. Suicide is a complete cop out, and I don't think it's weak not to commit suicide. I think it's weak not to do anything about a bad situation, but suicide is not really solving a problem, it's avoiding dealing with anything ever again. I think you're lucky that you couldn't do it in the end.
Good Luck
x

Good point. But: the more you try to moralize someone by yelling at them, the more you urge them to commit the action they are thinking, in this case suicide. The More you tighten your grip on someone, the worse the situation will become instead of better.

Life is one's own property. Suicide should be a right. Plus the life could get worse instead of better.

Good point also :smile:x
Original post by Retrodiction

Ok, it's not selfish. But it's not exactly great to put your family and friends etc. through a load of pain, when with treatment for depression and support etc. you might get a good quality of life back and then all the pain would have been for nothing.
Suicide is like premature ejaculation,leaves everyone unsatisfied
Reply 128
Ok, it's not selfish. But it's not exactly great to put your family and friends etc. through a load of pain, when with treatment for depression and support etc. you might get a good quality of life back and then all the pain would have been for nothing.

turn it the other way around.

isn't it selfish to keep them alive and suffering so you don't?
It isn't wrong, but it is however, incredibly selfish. By all means, if you wish to end your life then do so.
Original post by aws
turn it the other way around.

isn't it selfish to keep them alive and suffering so you don't?

It's not about me. In this scenario, I would be the one killing myself, I wouldn't be the 'friends and family'. And no anyway, I think suicide is a waste of a life that could get better anyway, so in the short term they might be suffering, in the long run they will have had more happiness.
Reply 131
It's not about me. In this scenario, I would be the one killing myself, I wouldn't be the 'friends and family'. And no anyway, I think suicide is a waste of a life that could get better anyway, so in the short term they might be suffering, in the long run they will have had more happiness.

how can you be so sure?

some people just lead a life of suffering
Reply 132
What a depressing topic.
Mods should close this thread imo, thumbs up if you agree!
Reply 133
Original post by wannabebrit
Why is suicide wrong? We're all going to die.some of us just want to die earlier than others. You say think of your family and friends who will be devastated if you commit suicide..will they be jumping for joy if I died a natural death?

It's wrong because in some respects it can be seen as the coward's way out as we all have our fair share of problems in this life suicide is not the quick and easy solution. But imagine you did kill yourself how much damage do you think you have done to your loved ones, your friends. Really, living seems like a much better alternative.
Original post by Fuchsie
It's wrong because in some respects it can be seen as the coward's way out as we all have our fair share of problems in this life suicide is not the quick and easy solution. But imagine you did kill yourself how much damage do you think you have done to your loved ones, your friends. Really, living seems like a much better alternative.

100 % no. If I ever do such thing, it won't be because of being a coward, but for a revenge on fate for preventing me somehow through its plan about me from making the thing I want out of me.

So to say that suicide is cowardly isn't very reasonable. Let's see if anyone can disprove me.:tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 135
100 % no. If I ever do such thing, it won't be because of being a coward, but for a revenge on fate for preventing me somehow through its plan about me from making the thing I want out of me.

So to say that suicide is cowardly isn't very reasonable. Let's see if anyone can disprove me.:tongue:

Well not necessarily I mean some criminals turn to suicide to escape their impending punishment....... Cowardly much......?

Thats Check :smile:
Original post by Fuchsie
Well not necessarily I mean some criminals turn to suicide to escape their impending punishment....... Cowardly much......?

Thats Check :smile:

For criminals this is true. But surely not about the rest. :wink:
Reply 137
The way I see it, is that you have one life. If you want to kill yourself, then do so without causing pain to others. BTW when you die old, there is barely anyone left to cry for you because everyone you know is probably old and is going to die too.

That is my mean prespective but if I am feeling kind then I would say, if you can't choose whether you are born/exist then why should you be able to take your life that you never had a choice to anyway?
Why should you be allowed to kill yourself on a whim? This will create feeble and weak minds, if you are weak you kill yourself if you are strong and not afraid of dying, you will fight it through like a true man/woman. Fighting (Not in the violent sense) is how one grows and learns.

You make mistakes, you learn. Learn to move on.
Reply 138
It's because it's your actions causing all the emotional distress for friends and families, and all the associated costs to your death. If you die by any other means it's wrong because it's not your actions.
I don't think suicide's wrong. I think it's sickeningly tempting. I look around my life and I have so many things to be gratefull for, yet I still find my mind wondering to death on a scarilly regular basis. I couldn't though. I just don't have the nerve, which makes me hate myself even more, which makes me fail to see the point in life even more, and so the cycle continues.
But this isn't about me.
I don't think suicide's wrong. Some pain just doesn't end. Some problems can't be fixed. If a person is in that bad a situation and feels that bad that they feel they cannot go on, I'd have respect for them having the nerve to end it, and be glad that they weren't hurting anymore. It's like when people die of a long and painfull disease. Only the disease isn't in your body. It's in your mind.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending