The Student Room Group

Does seeing injustice in British law put you off studying it?

I am curious as to whether law students ever feel put off by studying law when it's in such disrepute in terms of abused human rights laws, pathetic sentences, and so forth. Obviously the latter has more to do with sentencing laws, but still.

So do you ever feel put off?
Reply 1
No.
Original post by Margaret Thatcher
I am curious as to whether law students ever feel put off by studying law when it's in such disrepute in terms of abused human rights laws, pathetic sentences, and so forth. Obviously the latter has more to do with sentencing laws, but still.

That's not really what studying law is about - obviously human rights is a part of law but what we study is primarily how it's applied rather than the philosophy behind it.

As you've mentioned, sentencing is not part of a law syllabus either.

Almost all of what a law student studies is understanding the framework of laws and how they are applied by the courts as opposed to the moral and philosophical reasons behind it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Margaret Thatcher

You must be really bored today, this is like the 5th thread you have going.
To answer the question, no it doesnt put me off (although im only doing law a level :biggrin:)
No. But that was because I did more research into law than some ill informed articles in a middle market newspaper before I appied/started my degree :dontknow:
Reply 5
In that case who would ever want to study law in the US? With guantanmo, abu ghraib, and all.

Human rights abuse really has nothing to do with the academic study of law. Wouldn't seeing human rights abuse encourage someone to go into law? The whole idea of saving the world...attracts a good majority of people to start with.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending