The Student Room Group

University fees in Scotland.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jamie
Do enlighten me
What regulation allows a business within the EU to charge fees dependent on ones country of origin within the EU..?[/Q

How tiresome.
Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland are not countries under the terms of reference used. They are regions. Regional differences are permitted.

It was challenged in 2005 in the high court by Emma Block an English student at Glasgow uni.
She lost.
Reply 21
Scots want independence. Pissing off the rest of the UK is a good way to achieve that.
Original post by Jamie
Thats a bogus reply.

In England all students pay. Regardless of where they are from.

In Scotland you only pay if English/Welsh.

So how in hell can you equate the two.

Jelephant has explained very clearly how the two can be "equated". English universities will charge those from Scotland £6000, and Scottish universities will charge those from England £6000. I went to university in England, and I didn't feel the need to go on TSR posting threads about how "ridiculous" it was that I was being charged tuition fees, I just got on with it. It didn't bother me in the slightest.
Reply 23
Original post by hypocriticaljap
They actually charge a few hundred quid!

Well I have no idea how much it costs in France, but my point is a Scottish student studying in France wouldn't get free university education in France just because it is free in Scotland. They pay whatever you have to pay in France, whether that's a few thousand pounds, a few hundred or nothing.

Original post by hypocriticaljap

How tiresome.
Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland are not countries under the terms of reference used. They are regions. Regional differences are permitted.

It was challenged in 2005 in the high court by Emma Block an English student at Glasgow uni.
She lost.

They are still charging different fees depending on the country of origin. It's just that the EU don't really care because it's people from their own country (the UK) that are being discriminated against.
Reply 24
Original post by Hopple
Scots want independence. Pissing off the rest of the UK is a good way to achieve that.

If Scotland became independent they would have to charge English students the same as Scottish students*. So funnily enough Scottish independence would solve this oddity.

* Assuming they became an EU member, which they most likely would.
Reply 25
Original post by Jamie
So just to clarify.

If you are Scottish and going to a Scottish university you will pay no fees.
If you are Polish and going to a Scottish university you will pay no fees.
If you are French and going to a Scottish university you will pay no fees.
If you are Bulgarian and going to a Scottish university you will pay no fees.

However, if you are English, Welsh or Northern Irish you will pay upto £6000 per year.

Firstly, it's based on where you are domiciled, not being 'Scottish' or 'English'. Secondly, students domiciled in England, Wales or NI currently pay under £2000 for tuition at universities in Scotland.

I wouldn't mind if they treated all EU the same as England, but this is utterly disgusting and can't possibly stand up to legal action.

It's undesirable, but undoubtedly legal.

Original post by Hopple
Scots want independence.

Don't talk rot.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by L i b
Firstly, it's based on where you are domiciled, not being 'Scottish' or 'English'. Secondly, students domiciled in England, Wales or NI currently pay under £2000 for tuition at universities in Scotland.

And how long does one need to be domiciled for?

Are we going to see houseprices in Scotland sky rocketing as they are near good schools?
Original post by Andrew Mooney
Jelephant has explained very clearly how the two can be "equated". English universities will charge those from Scotland £6000, and Scottish universities will charge those from England £6000. I went to university in England, and I didn't feel the need to go on TSR posting threads about how "ridiculous" it was that I was being charged tuition fees, I just got on with it. It didn't bother me in the slightest.

If the only two regions supplying people for universities were Scotland and England you would have a point.
But people come from many places hence you don't.

England treats everyone equally regardless of country of origin within the EU.
Scottish do not.
The Scottish treat everyone equally except the English and Welsh

There is nothing you can say that can get around this fact.
Original post by Jamie
And how long does one need to be domiciled for?

Three years, I think.

Remember it's only a proposal right now.

English, Welsh and NI students only face £1820 in fees for Scottish universities right now.
(edited 13 years ago)
[QUOTE="hypocriticaljap;28935998"]
Original post by Jamie
Do enlighten me
What regulation allows a business within the EU to charge fees dependent on ones country of origin within the EU..?[/Q

How tiresome.

She lost.

Interesting.
So actually what it would need would be legislation from Westminister over ruling the ability of devolved regions to discriminate against people from other regions of the UK.
Original post by Heather with the Weather
Three years.

So you've basically got to get your kid into a scottish school by age of 14/15 in order to be eligible?
Or can you do some cheeky second home type stuff.

I mean if your kid was going to go and do a medical degree it would end up saving a hell of a lot of dosh.
Curious how the whole boarding school thing would work too...(scottish kids in english boarding school or vice versa)
Scotland just hates England. We should drain them of their oil then kick them out of the UK. The tuition fees situation in Scotland is not fair and should be in line with fees in the rest of the UK, however I do not see it changing anytime soon.
Reply 32
Where are you getting this 6000 from?

If you are Scottish and want to study at an English university you must pay between £6000-9000 per year
If you are English and want to study at a Scottish university you must pay £1850 per year
If you are Scottish and want to study at a non-UK EU university you pay nothing.
If you are a non-UK EU resident and wish to study at a Scottish university you pay £1850.
If you are a non-UK EU resident and wish to study at an English university you must pay £6000-9000
If you are English and wish to study at a non-UK EU university you pay £6000-9000

So you should blame your Tory government for all of this

And for the record, technically we pay £1850 to go to university too, but the government gives us a £1850 bursary to pay it.
Which not everybody is eligible for
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by munn
Where are you getting this 6000 from?

If you are Scottish and want to study at an English university you must pay between £6000-9000 per year
If you are English and want to study at a Scottish university you must pay £1850 per year
If you are Scottish and want to study at a non-UK EU university you pay nothing.
If you are a non-UK EU resident and wish to study at a Scottish university you pay £1850.
If you are a non-UK EU resident and wish to study at an English university you must pay £6000-9000
If you are English and wish to study at a non-UK EU university you pay £6000-9000

So you should blame your Tory government for all of this

And for the record, technically we pay £1850 to go to university too, but the government gives us a £1850 bursary to pay it.
Which not everybody is eligible for

You are way off base here.

The CURRENT tuition fee for England is about £3300. For Scotland it is about £1850.

The PROPOSED tuition fee for England is £6000+ (hence all the rioting). THe Scottish have announced plans to match this.

Furthermore if you are Scottish and go and study abroad in the EU you will pay what their students pay. It would not be free for a Scottish student to go study medicine in Prague for instance

I'm talking about the proposals. You know the stuff that is filling the newspapers..?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by Jamie
The PROPOSED tuition fee for England is £6000+ (hence all the rioting). THe Scottish have announced plans to match this.

You can call any suggestion by any idiot a 'proposal'. Today, a consultation paper was released asking for interested parties to suggest proposals for higher education funding. No decision has been made and indeed no political party has even come out with a developed stance on the issue.

Original post by Jamie
So actually what it would need would be legislation from Westminister over ruling the ability of devolved regions to discriminate against people from other regions of the UK.

It's no more discriminating than an NHS health board choosing to exercise its local powers to give certain drugs to patients that are not available in other NHS trust areas.

Either way, to grant student support to people from other parts of the UK who come to study would be completely unworkable in practice.

Original post by Jamie
Curious how the whole boarding school thing would work too...(scottish kids in english boarding school or vice versa)

You are not classed as ordinarily resident at boarding school.
(edited 13 years ago)
The Scottish Government is apportioned money by the UK treasury for the provision of certain sevices in Scotland for the people living in Scotland. It is not fair for the Scottish government to subsidise the education of those whom it does not recieve money to provide for. Especially when Scottish students have to pay full price in England.

The only reason EU students get it for free is because of some stupid EU law, if it were up to the Scottish Government and people they would be paying the same as the English/Welsh/Northern Irish.

Scotand has made different democratic decisions from England, thats devolution, not some obscene racist attack as the hysterical press would have you think.
Reply 36
Original post by Jamie

It hasn't been ratified though. As it stands it still costs 1850 per annum for an English student in Scotland
The issue here is devolution. So the theory is that the Scots get X amount of money from the English government, to spend as they please. In order to get free uni, they must have cut back elsewhere.

Where? I'm not trying to start an arguement here, I'm genuinely interested to know what we pay less for than the Scots. Do they pay extra road tax/prescription charges?

Also, the logic about scottish students go to EU unis for free so EU students go to Scottish unis for free seems flawed to me. The French riviera is an expensive place to go on holiday to. If I go there it costs a lot of money. Bulgaria is a cheap place to go to. Does it cost people from France more than than Bulgarians to come on holiday to the same hotel in England? No.
Original post by yahyahyahs
Scotland just hates England. We should drain them of their oil then kick them out of the UK. The tuition fees situation in Scotland is not fair and should be in line with fees in the rest of the UK, however I do not see it changing anytime soon.

We did.
Original post by Hopple

How ignorant can a poster be?

Time after time the Scottish people reject the suggestion of independence. It is a few gobby Scot Nats that make you think otherwise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending