The Student Room Group

Painful lump on my armpit?

I have a lump on my armpit, about the size of a ping pong ball. It is very painful. When I squeeze a clear/yellowish liquid comes out. I have an appointment on the 28th with a doctor, but is there anything I can do until then to ease the pain?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Does it hurt when you lift your arm up?
Reply 2
Sounds a bit like the plague :s-smilie:

But that is VERY unlikely lol and sounds more like a wound which has become infected, could be caused by shaving or something.
Reply 3
If it weren't for the colour and the puss I'd say ingrown hairs were your problem.
Reply 4
Is the skin over it red and does it feel hot? If so, I would go to a WIC/A&E to get it looked at professionally. I can't tell what it might be without seeing it though.
Try and put a poultice on it to draw out the puss? It's an old wives method, mix some grated soap and sugar (yes I know you're thinking what the ****) then put it in some gauze over the area, it will draw the yukky out, we use it on horses xx
Reply 6
Original post by Helenia
Is the skin over it red and does it feel hot? If so, I would go to a WIC/A&E to get it looked at professionally. I can't tell what it might be without seeing it though.

are you a docter?
Reply 7
Original post by KelsieyBoo
I have a lump on my armpit, about the size of a ping pong ball. It is very painful. When I squeeze a clear/yellowish liquid comes out. I have an appointment on the 28th with a doctor, but is there anything I can do until then to ease the pain?

Could it have been an ingrown hair?

My aunt got an ingrown hair in her groin and had a grape sized lump that has puss-like stuff seeping out of it, she had it removed and was fine once it had healed.
Reply 8
Original post by sixthformer
are you a docter?

No, I'm a doctor (:tongue:), and I see similar things on a not-too-infrequent basis.
Reply 9
Original post by Helenia
No, I'm a doctor (:tongue:), and I see similar things on a not-too-infrequent basis.

hey, can i ask you for advise? in a few hours Doctor
Thanks
If i am to be lucky and blessed to also be a Doctor, will i still want to use tsr
as a person
do you change
can you be yourself
can you still have family life?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
If it's in your armpit it might be a cyst caused by the glands, my little cousin gets them quite frequently in his armpit - dirty little boy.

Anyway to ease the pain he uses ice wrapped up, I don't know why I think it's more of a placebo effect if anything, but he doesn't complain.
sounds like an abcess, does the yellow stuff smell horrific?
Ping pong ball? Are you sure? That's a big lump! I'd go to a walk-in centre, to be honest with you.
It's probably just a little cut or an ingrown hair that's become infected.. but none of us are doctors so we can't really tell you.
Reply 13
Poor you,

I feel deeply sorry...

In furture just try to keep ur hygeine...wash ur armpits with warm water and soap....you really should have a shower daily to prevent this

I just had an op done last week to remove the white blood cells/debris which is also known as pus, but my armpits....but i wont say...and I had been experiencing similar symptons to urs....i think it is an abcess in ur armpit...its the folic hairs that cause the abcess....just remember to keep it clean as well as ur whole body....

Abcesses can come back so do be warned and always keep ur hygeine clean !
Reply 14
Original post by Sometimes
Poor you,

I feel deeply sorry...

In furture just try to keep ur hygeine...wash ur armpits with warm water and soap....you really should have a shower daily to prevent this

I just had an op done last week to remove the white blood cells/debris which is also known as pus, but my armpits....but i wont say...and I had been experiencing similar symptons to urs....i think it is an abcess in ur armpit...its the folic hairs that cause the abcess....just remember to keep it clean as well as ur whole body....

Abcesses can come back so do be warned and always keep ur hygeine clean !

Perhaps the OP already showers daily and washes with soap and water!! :rolleyes:
Reply 15
Probably a blocked sweat gland. Wash it with hot water and see the doctor, put TCP on it to try get rid of any infection
Reply 16
Now, just to check, is it your arm?
Reply 17
The fact that there is a discharge I believe to be a good thing, reduces the chance of a tumour.
Reply 18
28th? Why's it so late! If it's really causing you pain I would go to A&E just incase it becomes worse or gets infected, if it isn't already.
Reply 19
I think the OP means 28th Dec, not 28th Jan - original post was written 3 weeks ago

Quick Reply

Latest