The Student Room Group

HELP? dropping out? might continue? what happens?

So I'm at Preston uni in my first year.
I got full loans and grant.
I'm behind with alot of work due to personal problems and being extremely stressed.
I have extenuating circumstances but I don't know if I can cope.
I work 30 hours a week as well as uni (I have a house and partner to support and £500 per month student loan equivalent doesnt even cover the rent let alone bills)
I'm going to try and continue and catch up in January or February.

I just wanted to know what happens if i drop out, with finance i assume I'll have to pay the course fee's for the year which is unavoidable but not too much of an iminant problem...But will i have to pay back the loans and grant if I quit before the Easter term? The January loans will just about cover my rent and bills till February/March, but what if then I haven't got it to pay back and it is too much.

I never should have come to uni, i really thought this was the right time. Unfortunately I think its all too much.
Reply 1
Calm down.

Think about this logically. What is the pass rate at your uni for first years and does it count towards your final grade?

You can stay at uni and do well by "playing the game". I never went to lectures but did what was required and got a good grade.

Think about it before you throw it down the toilet.
Reply 2
Well... your reasons justfying dropping out appear to be valid. Personally, I would continue with uni but if its causing you nothing but problems then there's no reason as to why you should stay. Just out of curiousity, what course are you studying?
Reply 3
I'm on a foundation course.
I have to pass ALL of the 14 assignments/assessments with at least 40% and i know I've point blank failed 2 already...

I'm panicking your right, I'm not bringing enough money home to keep all my finances in check, I'm knackered ALL the time and I'm at least 3 assessments behind.

I have dyslexia and still have no support, I'm constantly having to miss lectures because I'm transgender and have started treatment recently meaning I'm off to London and Nottingham every month for appointments

I think i have a little too much on my plate this year...
Reply 4
Its Journalism, Whats worse is i really love the course!
I enjoy it, love my classmates and actually feel normal for the first time in ages.
All I can say is, if you really want something that bad, you will find a way to do it. I've learnt the very hard way.
Reply 6
any actual help? on the funding or grant question?
You'll have to pay back pro rata your grant immediately.
Reply 8
ok so my maintenance grant and maintenance and tuition loans will have to start being payed back from the day I quit uni? or in one lump sum?
I cant not spend the loans in january as they will pay my rent areers and bills etc from dec/jan/feb?
I think what happens is that say in January you get £2000 in grants/loans. If you quit before term starts, you will have to pay £2000 back straight away (or you just won't be paid it), but don't worry about anything you recieved before e.g. September's payment. If you continue up until April, you won't have to pay any of Jan's £2000 back. Lets say you quit exactly half way through term, you have to pay half of Jan's payment back straight away, so £1000. So no, you can't just start uni in Jan, get the payment then drop out.

I'm not sure at exactly which point you have to start paying back your loan, it's normally the April after you graduate if you're earing more than £15k, not sure what happens if you don't graduate.

Also, I think if you quit before Feb, SFE won't pay your tuition fees, so you will owe the uni £3290 (?) for that, asap.
Paying back is immediate for grants.
Reply 11
Original post by modgepodge
I think what happens is that say in January you get £2000 in grants/loans. If you quit before term starts, you will have to pay £2000 back straight away (or you just won't be paid it), but don't worry about anything you recieved before e.g. September's payment. If you continue up until April, you won't have to pay any of Jan's £2000 back. Lets say you quit exactly half way through term, you have to pay half of Jan's payment back straight away, so £1000. So no, you can't just start uni in Jan, get the payment then drop out.

I'm not sure at exactly which point you have to start paying back your loan, it's normally the April after you graduate if you're earing more than £15k, not sure what happens if you don't graduate.

Also, I think if you quit before Feb, SFE won't pay your tuition fees, so you will owe the uni £3290 (?) for that, asap.

On the fee front, it's 1st December for a fee payment to be made by SFE. Just had to be in attendance after that date.
Reply 12
ok thanks everyone thats cleared it up a bit...
im not trying to grab money and quit...
i just need to loans to pay my rent etc, but for eg if i did find it all too much and i did have to drop out
i didnt wanna be financially ruined!
Reply 13
Are you sure you want to drop out? If you're having no support with your dyslexia then you need to see your tutor and raise this issue.

What sort of hours are you working, do you work weekends/evenings? Is it possible to shift your hours somehow to give you more free time to do uni work?

I know you're going through a lot of personal problems but if you're going to drop out, make sure you are 100% sure first, as you may regret it in the future.
You have so much on your plate.

The first thing you need to do is make your tutors aware of delays in coursework. Does you Uni have a confidental support service where you can get some impartical advice?

If you are having money problems try the CItizens Advice Bureau who are very good with debt management.

You seem very committed to your dream and that's wonderful but I know from experience that keeping your problems to yourself just makes it worse. Good Luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending