The Student Room Group

my gf said I should take her name if we get married

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
make a new one, one thats more fitting
eg "emasculated"
I can't believe how much some of the boys in this thread are freaking out. It's completely expected for a woman to give up her name and take the man's and yet at the suggestion of the opposite happening people are comparing it to castration. As someone else said, if your masculinity lies in keeping our own surname/giving yours to your wife then you have bigger problems. Women who keep their own surnames after marriage don't think of themselves as men so why would it be that way vice versa?
Reply 62
Original post by HotCoco.
It's always you recycling that same old line.
Get off TSR and come up with some new material. :colonhash:

Spoiler

Reply 63
your 2nd name bing?
Original post by f00ddude
because, women expect these changes in society in order to make them "equal" however at the same time expect men to chase them, pay for dates, propose, provide, do DIY, get rid of spiders etc
if a women expects me to pay for the first date, shes taking my surname if we marry

Only to the extent where men expect the women to take time off work to look after kids, cook the dinner and do the washing up. It's a two-way street you realise?

If you pay for the first date and she pays for the second, why is your name the one that must be taken? And who exactly expects you to "provide"? I don't know of ANY girls/women who expect their (future) husbands to provide for them. Everyone I know wants to earn their own living.

I pity your future wife and weirdo gender stereotype family.
Reply 65
Original post by Yawn11

Spoiler

Cute :h:
And predictable. :colonhash:
Reply 66
because, women expect these changes in society in order to make them "equal" however at the same time expect men to chase them, pay for dates, propose, provide, do DIY, get rid of spiders etc
if a women expects me to pay for the first date (as most women do, even if theyll deny it) then its fair i expect her to take my name!

in that case... you're dating some lazy dumbass bitches :eek: seriously... all that?

i can do all that myself :biggrin: besides the spiders, which i'll leave to scuttle away
Reply 67
Original post by When will I know?

Or come with something where you can emerge them both together eg:

her surname= smith
yours- anderson

(Your name) smith anderson :awesome:

Or Smanderson...

I'd have no problem with it. i've had a couple of girlfriends with surnames so cool that I would definitely have dropped my 'Barry' :smile:
Reply 68
Original post by HotCoco.
Cute :h:
And predictable. :colonhash:

You know what... :frown:

Just refer directly to the first spoiler in my sig and go away. :colonhash:
gotta love those feminists
Reply 70
If this actually happens you might as well let her strap up and pound your arse to kingdom come.
Original post by zxh800
Merge the two names. And i don't mean double-barrel it.

I mean literally, with the names Smith and Cohen you'd make it Smohen. Good eh?

Smiten would be cute.
Or just man up and keep your name.
Reply 72
Wait shes 1 of several girls and your 1 of 1 male, i think 1 of her other sisters can take on the responsibility of keeping their surname. Understandably if she was a only child then theirs a real dilemma.

That doesnt seem fair if your the only one that can pass your surname down, and she 2/3/ + sisters theirs more chance that they would take the name, shouldnt it be the last person in the family to get married takes the surname with them if their female.

Who knows 1 of her sisters may be a right minger and can keep her name :P
Original post by menagerie
I can't believe how much some of the boys in this thread are freaking out. It's completely expected for a woman to give up her name and take the man's and yet at the suggestion of the opposite happening people are comparing it to castration. As someone else said, if your masculinity lies in keeping our own surname/giving yours to your wife then you have bigger problems. Women who keep their own surnames after marriage don't think of themselves as men so why would it be that way vice versa?

Quite :biggrin: My ex threw a massive hissy fit over the name thing (for not wanting to be disrespected in front of his friends :rolleyes: ) in the end, it was such a thing for him, it helped me to see the bigger picture of some of his other unpleasant attitudes and expectations.

(fortunately I go by my professional name of Dr [surname] so I have an excuse to retain the status quo :biggrin: )
Reply 74
keep your own names, give the kid both surnames
Reply 75
Who has ever heard of a man changing his name upon marriage ?
You need to sort this silly girl out.
Your name or nothing !
Reply 76
men dont expect woman to take time off work, other than the fact they HAVE TO, but women get maternity pay, then a lot of men would actually the woman went back to work to earn whilst a nanny looked after the kid but its the mothers maternal instinct which keeps a lot of them home.
cooking and washing up? thats only come about because woman are so lazy they chose to become "housewifes"... something they now say men forced them into!
yes this is changing a lot now, but there are still inequalities, your quite niave to belive there arent, im already in this writing block so cba to look at your profile, but im gunna guess your around 15 maybe 16 at a push

Are you kidding me? Women were traditionally housewives because they were too lazy to work and preferred doing housework? Yes, you're right, that's how it happened. All of society was spurring those lazy Edwardian women on to do the same jobs as men but they just wanted to cook and clean.

You're such a moron that arguing with you on this would be futile. Indeed I am naive to believe that there aren't inequalities if your views represent those of the nation.
Reply 78
Swap names :colonhash:

You take hers, she takes yours.

OR get a double barrel name. OR make one up.
Reply 79
Original post by menagerie
if your masculinity lies in keeping our own surname/giving yours to your wife then you have bigger problems.

well if you had to change your first name to Dave or Geoffrey or something you'd probably feel less feminine, same reasoning applies.

If you take your girlfriends name she is the dominant person in the relationship, which is not a nice place to be for a guy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending