The Student Room Group

University fees in Scotland.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hypocriticaljap
We did.

Nah, there's still a little bit left. I WANT EVERY LAST DROP.
Reply 41
Original post by modgepodge
The issue here is devolution. So the theory is that the Scots get X amount of money from the English government

You mean the Welsh government, surely? :rolleyes:

, to spend as they please. In order to get free uni, they must have cut back elsewhere.

Where? I'm not trying to start an arguement here, I'm genuinely interested to know what we pay less for than the Scots. Do they pay extra road tax/prescription charges?

Scotland doesn't spend as much on higher education as England does. Which is a shame. The Scottish Parliament is also disproportionately overfunded, and devolved Scottish issues have been since the 19th century.
Original post by Jamie

Original post by Jamie
So just to clarify.

If you are Scottish and going to a Scottish university you will pay no fees.
If you are Polish and going to a Scottish university you will pay no fees.
If you are French and going to a Scottish university you will pay no fees.
If you are Bulgarian and going to a Scottish university you will pay no fees.

However, if you are English, Welsh or Northern Irish you will pay upto £6000 per year.
So if you come from Newcastle, 60 miles away from Edinburgh you will have to pay but if you are from Sofia 1500miles away from Edinburghy you don't.

How the hell is that fair?
I wouldn't mind if they treated all EU the same as England, but this is utterly disgusting and can't possibly stand up to legal action.

How is it not fair ? Everyone from a EU state studying in Scotland must be treated the same way as Scottish students. England is not an EU state so can be treated differently
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Jamie

Original post by Jamie
Thats an unfair reply.

In England all students pay. Regardless of where they are from.

In Scotland you only pay if English/Welsh. Anywhere else you don't.

So how can you equate the two.

International students who are not from an EU member state also have to pay

How ignorant can a poster be?

Time after time the Scottish people reject the suggestion of independence. It is a few gobby Scot Nats that make you think otherwise.

when has Scotland ever rejected independence ? theres never been a referendum on independence for it to be rejected
Original post by craggy-island
England is not an EU state so can be treated unfairly

is my point
Reply 46
I have no problem with scottish universities charging english students. I do resent the fact that scottish MPs still vote on English university tuition fees.
when has Scotland ever rejected independence ? theres never been a referendum on independence for it to be rejected

Do you know what an opinion poll is?
Original post by Jamie
So just to clarify.

If you are Scottish and going to a Scottish university you will pay no fees.
If you are Polish and going to a Scottish university you will pay no fees.
If you are French and going to a Scottish university you will pay no fees.
If you are Bulgarian and going to a Scottish university you will pay no fees.

However, if you are English, Welsh or Northern Irish you will pay upto £6000 per year.
So if you come from Newcastle, 60 miles away from Edinburgh you will have to pay but if you are from Sofia 1500miles away from Edinburghy you don't.

How the hell is that fair?
I wouldn't mind if they treated all EU the same as England, but this is utterly disgusting and can't possibly stand up to legal action.

Why? English universities charge full price for Scottish students studying in England etc.

This. Keep your mouth quiet, your smelly breath stains my screen.
Reply 49
Is it actually true that Scottish students studying in an EU country other than the UK get free tuition? If so, what's the reason for it? I can understand why EU students studying in Scotland get it free (because that's what local students pay), so why would Scottish students studying in another country get free tuition when locals have to pay?
Original post by Psyk
Is it actually true that Scottish students studying in an EU country other than the UK get free tuition? If so, what's the reason for it? I can understand why EU students studying in Scotland get it free (because that's what local students pay), so why would Scottish students studying in another country get free tuition when locals have to pay?

No it isn't.
Reply 51
No it isn't.

That's what I thought.
You see England this is what you get! Yeah I bet you thought you were real good at the end of braveheart when you were killing William wallace well we are having another last laugh(bannock burn) at you with the fees Ha ha aha ahahahahha!
Original post by Left Hand Drive
You see England this is what you get! Yeah I bet you thought you were real good at the end of braveheart when you were killing William wallace well we are having another last laugh(bannock burn) at you with the fees Ha ha aha ahahahahha!

Yes the entire country had feelings at the end of that Mel Gibson work of fiction.

You do realise that the joining together of england and scotland happened because the Scottish king was crowned king of England.

So technically Scotland took over England.
Original post by Jamie
Yes the entire country had feelings at the end of that Mel Gibson work of fiction.

You do realise that the joining together of england and scotland happened because the Scottish king was crowned king of England.

So technically Scotland took over England.

Its was a joke....

There is always one eh?!
Reply 55
The problem with this has all been caured by the Eu! Had we stayed out of it we would be much happier! Universities take so many people from the continent under the EU umbrella that home grown students struggle to find a university place. Scotland would place the scots the english would place the english etc. I am scottish and hope to study in scotland at the moment it happens to be free but I do think we should probably pay something toward university education. I know people who have dropped out after 2 yrs (at the expence of the tax payer). Maybe they would have thought twice if they were paying for it themselves!

Do you know what an opinion poll is?

I do not see how you can use opinion polls to state that Scotland has repeatedly rejected independence grasping at straws there
I do not see how you can use opinion polls to state that Scotland has repeatedly rejected independence grasping at straws there

Not at all. Whenever it comes up the people of Scotland reject it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_8380000/8380464.stm

even this latest poll shows only 40% in favour, more don't want it
http://news.stv.tv/politics/215340-snp-poll-shows-40-of-scots-want-independance/
well if an oppinion poll says it - it must be true until you put the question to the nation you can not say Scotland has rejected independence

the fact unionists fear such a referendum suggests they fear the outcome
well if an oppinion poll says it - it must be true until you put the question to the nation you can not say Scotland has rejected independence

the fact unionists fear such a referendum suggests they fear the outcome

Or they don't want to spend millions on a referendum that the opinion polls have already proven.

Besides, once independence arrives the money train for Scotland disappears.

The rest of UK would stop subsidising, the EU has other priorities, and the gas and oil industries are just about tailing off.

An independent Scotland would not be too dissimilar to an indepedent Eire.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending