The Student Room Group

CUSU Shadowing Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bean_Giant
Woe betide the person who's landed with you, Cam.

Saying that, if they're lumped with me they'll have the 2 mile trek to lectures to contend with :P

It took me a while to realise who this was, I thought someone was randomly insulting me :frown:

Original post by Sockpirate
Same! :biggrin: hope I get someone :smile:

Me too! I didn't realise it was possible we might not :frown:
I shadowed a 2nd year law student at Jesus and my experience hugely influenced my decision to apply to Cambridge, however, I did not apply for law in the end - instead, PPS, which is essentially as one of the previous posters described it. First thing, I'd never even heard of the college I was to stay at - I'd only really ever heard of Trinity, Magdalene (which I pronounced wrongly) and St. John's, oh and I think Churchill as well because of the Thatcher foundation there - so staying for three nights seemed a bit daunting at first but it came to be one of my favourite places in the whole city; the gardens, the cloisters, the people, the porters, the accommodation in library court etc. If you want to find out for yourself the best accommodation, it's highly recommended (by me!) that you go on this.

It's definitely worth going on the extra-curricular things that CUSU organise/inform you of as well; the lectures, the ADC theatre (as mentioned below) and the other things (such as free food/drink vouchers for breakfast :biggrin:)

If you're wondering why I didn't choose law, it's nothing to do with the subject as it's taught at Cam, it just fell out of favour with me and I had been in a quagmire between MML and Law and in the end, chose neither. Go with what you see fit and the introduction you'll get to the tutorial system is second-to-none. Also, try and be nice to your shadower (I think that's the right term?) - they'll be showing you around in their spare time after all :smile:

Original post by tashhh
I went last year and really enjoyed it - I was shadowing a student doing a subject I'd never considered studying (PPS) at a college I'd never heard of (Sidney Sussex) and now I'm about to put in my application for PPS at Sidney, so I guess that probably shows how useful I found it (:

Try and do stuff not organised by the scheme while you're there if you can, cause it'll give you a more accurate picture of the place - we went with another couple of shadowers to a improv comedy thing at the ADC instead of a talk organised by CUSU (most of their stuff isn't compulsory, but if they're running the pub quiz or the debating workshop again, go along cause they're great) and missed something else to go to a supervision, which was really interesting and definitely worthwhile since it's such a big element of Oxbridge teaching.

I hope you get to go (:

The pub quiz was really naff last year, at least, it was the week I went :tongue:
Original post by XxnemoxX
I've applied but I don't think I'll get in :frown:

Everyone in my AS year last year that applied to go on to the shadowing scheme - I say 'everyone', there were only three of us :tongue: - had initially received rejection notices from CUSU saying that there had been 'unprecedented demand for places', but we all then received notices about a week later (and only a few days before the process itself) saying that we had in fact succeeded in our application so if you do get a rejection, don't lose all hope :smile:
have a try!!! maybe it Help to you
I got a place to shadow a Maths student, named Tom, at Clare College!! :biggrin:
Reply 25
Original post by TheMeister
Everyone in my AS year last year that applied to go on to the shadowing scheme - I say 'everyone', there were only three of us :tongue: - had initially received rejection notices from CUSU saying that there had been 'unprecedented demand for places', but we all then received notices about a week later (and only a few days before the process itself) saying that we had in fact succeeded in our application so if you do get a rejection, don't lose all hope :smile:

Thanks but I just found out that 7 people from my school have been accepted and 2 are on some kind of waiting list. I don't think they'll accept that many students from one school :sad:

I'm too scared to check my mail
Reply 26
Original post by Mikey73
I got a place to shadow a Maths student, named Tom, at Clare College!! :biggrin:

Congrats :biggrin:
I'm going to check my email now :eek3:
Original post by Mikey73

Yay - Clare! You'll like it there: it's a lovely place. Not that I'm biased or anything...

(see below)
I got a place too! I'm shadowing an Architecture student called Naomi at Peterhouse!
Reply 29
I got in for maths at Pembroke :woo:

I know two people from school who are going on 10th-12th feb as well so I don't have to travel by myself :smile:

I hope it doesn't take too long to get to Emmanuel. I don't want to wake up too early

I'm sooo excited :biggrin:
Original post by XxnemoxX
I got in for maths at Pembroke :woo:

I know two people from school who are going on 10th-12th feb as well so I don't have to travel by myself :smile:

I hope it doesn't take too long to get to Emmanuel. I don't want to wake up too early

I'm sooo excited :biggrin:

Well done at getting a place!!! Im really excited. Hope I don't get phased by the maths though. :L
Im travelling from Manchester, but have three friends accepted at the same time as me, so less worried.

Original post by Languages Nutter
Yay - Clare! You'll like it there: it's a lovely place. Not that I'm biased or anything...

(see below)

It was my second ideal choice next to Trinity, only because of Newton though. It does look very amazing in photographs and this time next month I will be able to say it looks amazing in person. *excitement* I'll have to properly read up on Fermat's Last Theorem.
Original post by Topaz_eyes
It took me a while to realise who this was, I thought someone was randomly insulting me :frown:

Me too! I didn't realise it was possible we might not :frown:

Ah, it is possible, but apparently they get loads of people applying to shadow a NatSci (or so our access officer said), so HOPEFULLY that should mean that we both get someone!
Reply 32
I've got a place. :biggrin:

First choice was Maths, but got my second choice Engineering, at Jesus college, 10th-12th Feb. Following a chap called Thomas.

Woo :P
I got a place!!! :bl:

:colondollar: It's on my 17th ...lols

I'm going on the 3rd-5th February (my birthday is on the 4th :smile:), shadowing a girl named Sophie for History at Girton College!!!

See you all there....:wink:
Yay, I have a place too! :banana2:

I'm shadowing Sophie at Girton College, doing Modern and Medieval Languages. Very exciting.
(Am I right in thinking that Cececlia in 'Atonement' went there...? :colondollar:<trivia nerd>)
Reply 35
Original post by Niki_girl
I got a place!!! :bl:

:colondollar: It's on my 17th ...lols

I'm going on the 3rd-5th February (my birthday is on the 4th :smile:), shadowing a girl named Sophie for History at Girton College!!!

See you all there....:wink:

Original post by cornish-chough
Yay, I have a place too! :banana2:

I'm shadowing Sophie at Girton College, doing Modern and Medieval Languages. Very exciting.
(Am I right in thinking that Cececlia in 'Atonement' went there...? :colondollar:&lt;trivia nerd&gt:wink:

There are about 4 Sophies that I know at Girton, but the one doing history lives in the room under mine. She's a fresher, German, very softly spoken.

I haven't met the other Sophie, the MML one. She's a second year from the looks of her facebook.

EDIT: And yes, Cecilia did go to Girton. I haven't read it, but presumably it's set in a time when women didn't really go to university; Girton was the first college for higher education for women in the UK, so that would make sense.
(edited 13 years ago)
Whoops, didn't notice that I'd cocked up my spelling of Cecilia there, sorry about that.

I did wonder if it was the same Sophie, but Cambridge don't do the joint honours in History/Languages, do they?
Original post by cornish-chough
Whoops, didn't notice that I'd cocked up my spelling of Cecilia there, sorry about that.

I did wonder if it was the same Sophie, but Cambridge don't do the joint honours in History/Languages, do they?

Afraid not. They'd be different Sophies!
Original post by Bean_Giant
There are about 4 Sophies that I know at Girton, but the one doing history lives in the room under mine. She's a fresher, German, very softly spoken.

I haven't met the other Sophie, the MML one. She's a second year from the looks of her facebook.

EDIT: And yes, Cecilia did go to Girton. I haven't read it, but presumably it's set in a time when women didn't really go to university; Girton was the first college for higher education for women in the UK, so that would make sense.

:smile: That's cool, she sounds nice, when I saw someone else was shaodwing "Sophie at Girton" I wondered for a second if I was randomly signed up to do Languages too!

Girton sounds good too, I have actually read Atonement and didn't even pick up that it was the same place Cecilia went :tongue:

P.S, I can't remember, what accomodation are we staying in? Like individual rooms in the college we were assigned too?

:colondollar: Thanks!
Reply 39
Original post by Niki_girl
:smile: That's cool, she sounds nice, when I saw someone else was shaodwing "Sophie at Girton" I wondered for a second if I was randomly signed up to do Languages too!

Girton sounds good too, I have actually read Atonement and didn't even pick up that it was the same place Cecilia went :tongue:

P.S, I can't remember, what accomodation are we staying in? Like individual rooms in the college we were assigned too?

:colondollar: Thanks!

Exactly that. There are spare rooms in college; that's where you'll be staying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending