The Student Room Group

predicted grades ucas IB

hey,
I have a question about entering predicted grades- where is it exactly on ucas.?

is it on the section Education- I chose my school in qualifications and then I chose IB, then it takes me to the page with the subjecst and levels etc-
and there are scores to put there as well- so do I put there those scores I predict to grade or mark everywhere as pending because I will know the results in july tho.

thank you for any info

Scroll to see replies

Original post by paperpheasant
hey,
I have a question about entering predicted grades- where is it exactly on ucas.?

is it on the section Education- I chose my school in qualifications and then I chose IB, then it takes me to the page with the subjecst and levels etc-
and there are scores to put there as well- so do I put there those scores I predict to grade or mark everywhere as pending because I will know the results in july tho.

thank you for any info

You don't enter predicted grades - you set them as pending, and your referee will include your predicted grades.
Reply 2
Original post by TheSownRose
You don't enter predicted grades - you set them as pending, and your referee will include your predicted grades.

but I have heard from my friends from last year that they set their predicted grades on their own, no consulting with teachers, but did it change this year.?

I actually asked my teacher about the references, and I recieved email that the references were sent by him, but it shows me on references page that 'Predicted grades

The applicant has not entered any pending qualifications.'

so what do I do then.?
Reply 3
If you're an independent applicant then you can set your own predicted grades (or at least you could last year), but you're not supposed to. It's simply unethical; you should at least discuss your predictions with your teachers.

This is how you enter pending qualifications. Lets say you're taking Chemistry. You enter Chemistry on your IB page, complete with the date of qualification (which of course is a future date) and everything, and either choose "pending" from some drop-down menu, or just leave the box, where you're supposed to type the grade into, blank (I don't know the specifics regarding IB). The blank box then means that the grade is pending; if you were to enter a grade then it would look like you've already finished this subject. And then Chemistry shows up on the Reference section as a pending qualification and the referee is supposed to enter the predicted grade.
Reply 4
but I have heard from my friends from last year that they set their predicted grades on their own, no consulting with teachers, but did it change this year.?

I actually asked my teacher about the references, and I recieved email that the references were sent by him, but it shows me on references page that 'Predicted grades

The applicant has not entered any pending qualifications.'

so what do I do then.?

You add the subjects you are studying for the IB and then put the result as pending.
Reply 5
Original post by jelly1000
You add the subjects you are studying for the IB and then put the result as pending.

so they actually can give me an offer based only on my personal statement, personal details and teacher's reference, as I assume.?

hell yeah... >.< surely that will give them strong premises to give me an offer. :/
so they actually can give me an offer based only on my personal statement, personal details and teacher's reference, as I assume.?

hell yeah... >.< surely that will give them strong premises to give me an offer. :/

Hey mate, no need to get pissy with us - plenty of people do it exactly how Peregrinium told you to every year, you're not special.
Reply 7

You predicted grades are part of the teachers reference (there is a box for the teacher to add a grade (or number in your case) for each subject you put pending. The unis will look at that as well.
Reply 8
Original post by jelly1000
You predicted grades are part of the teachers reference (there is a box for the teacher to add a grade (or number in your case) for each subject you put pending. The unis will look at that as well.

but I actually asked my teacher about those predicted grades, and he said he didn't put there any predicted grades, just only wrote the reference. so whatthen, is it just me marking everything as pending.?

I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend anyone, just getting little upset and confused by all of this :C
it's kind of difficult to get what's going on this all by an international student tho
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
okay so I have figured it out eventually.!
for everyone who would need help then:

firstly you need to fill up the Education section listing in the modules all your IB subjects and set grades as pending and save it up
then go to references section and under your referees details click on edit and there should appear a section predicted grades under the sublects and levels which you have entered before in Education section
and there you put your predicted grades, when you click save then they will be added above

and the referee doesn't actually put any predicted grades just only references
but I actually asked my teacher about those predicted grades, and he said he didn't put there any predicted grades, just only wrote the reference. so whatthen, is it just me marking everything as pending.?

I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend anyone, just getting little upset and confused by all of this :C
it's kind of difficult to get what's going on this all by an international student tho

1) You write down the subjects you're taking.
2) You put the grade as pending or leave the grade box blank.
3) The pending qualifications show up on the reference page.
4) The referee enters the predicted grades.

These are the steps you need to follow. If this isn't what you have done then go back and fix your mistakes. If you think you've done everything correctly then 1) ask your referee to include predictions as well, 2) include the predictions yourself on the reference page after discussing them with your referee/tutor/teachers, 3) if neither of the options is possible (I'm not familiar with the new reference system for individual applicants), then contact UCAS and ask what you should do.
Reply 11
Original post by Peregrinum
1) You write down the subjects you're taking.
2) You put the grade as pending or leave the grade box blank.
3) The pending qualifications show up on the reference page.
4) The referee enters the predicted grades.

These are the steps you need to follow. If this isn't what you have done then go back and fix your mistakes. If you think you've done everything correctly then 1) ask your referee to include predictions as well, 2) include the predictions yourself on the reference page after discussing them with your referee/tutor/teachers, 3) if neither of the options is possible (I'm not familiar with the new reference system for individual applicants), then contact UCAS and ask what you should do.

so I assume then the teacher has got an option for putting predicted grades but only after I list my subjects.? and firstly I asked for reference and then I listed subject so I assume that with no subjects listed by me the tacher had no active option for predicted grades...
but is it a neccissity that the teacher puts the predicted grades.? I know last year they were only asked about references...
I'll check out on my friends account if it is really a case, and if so I will need to call ucas by skype.

damn my school it provides no support for the students at all.
thank you for your help.!

edit: I asked two of my teachers who had posted references for other people on ucas as well and both of them said they had only option to post the reference but none section for predicted grades.
this is getting really messy.
but what I just thought of was that- I'm applying as an individual candiadate, so maybe only the teachers who are from registered schools or centres can put predicted grades, as far as I'm concerned it isn't neccessary that referee must be your tutor, and ucas says the order of filling the application doesn't influence the reference at all.
(edited 13 years ago)
so I assume then the teacher has got an option for putting predicted grades but only after I list my subjects.? and firstly I asked for reference and then I listed subject so I assume that with no subjects listed by me the tacher had no active option for predicted grades...
but is it a neccissity that the teacher puts the predicted grades.? I know last year they were only asked about references...
I'll check out on my friends account if it is really a case, and if so I will need to call ucas by skype.

damn my school it provides no support for the students at all.
thank you for your help.!

edit: I asked two of my teachers who had posted references for other people on ucas as well and both of them said they had only option to post the reference but none section for predicted grades.
this is getting really messy.
but what I just thought of was that- I'm applying as an individual candiadate, so maybe only the teachers who are from registered schools or centres can put predicted grades, as far as I'm concerned it isn't neccessary that referee must be your tutor, and ucas says the order of filling the application doesn't influence the reference at all.

Yeah, if there are no subjects then there are no pending qualifications and hence no place for predictions to be added (by anyone). It's not necessary that a teacher includes the grades and maybe it's not even possible if you're an independent applicant. You're right, last year you had to ask your referee for a reference and then you had to copy and paste it yourself, the referee had no actual access to any part of the application. They've changed the system now, but I don't really know what that entails. It may very well be that referees still have no access to predicted grades. In this case you have to include them yourself on the Reference page, and yes, it doesn't matter whether the reference has already been completed or not. However, you should still discuss your predictions with your teachers, not doing so is wrong. Even if they can't enter the grades themselves, they should still be the ones doing the actual predicting. Remember, giving yourself a stellar prediction that you know is beyond your abilities is essentially the same as giving yourself a rejection.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
Yeah, if there are no subjects then there are no pending qualifications and hence no place for predictions to be added (by anyone). It's not necessary that a teacher includes the grades and maybe it's not even possible if you're an independent applicant. You're right, last year you had to ask your referee for a reference and then you had to copy and paste it yourself, the referee had no actual access to any part of the application. They've changed the system now, but I don't really know what that entails. It may very well be that referees still have no access to predicted grades. In this case you have to include them yourself on the Reference page, and yes, it doesn't matter whether the reference has already been completed or not. However, you should still discuss your predictions with your teachers, not doing so is wrong. Even if they can't enter the grades themselves, they should still be the ones doing the actual predicting. Remember, giving yourself a stellar prediction that you know is beyond your abilities is essentially the same as giving yourself a rejection.

thank you so much for helping me to sort this out because I'm really worried.
I know more or less what grades I have predicted, I would say my teachers predict higher grades that I actually think I would get.
I put generally the same grades what I was predicted for last year, I don't think it would change much for lower marks tho, I'm trying to be reasonable :wink:
Reply 14
If you're an independent applicant then you can set your own predicted grades (or at least you could last year), but you're not supposed to. It's simply unethical; you should at least discuss your predictions with your teachers.

This is how you enter pending qualifications. Lets say you're taking Chemistry. You enter Chemistry on your IB page, complete with the date of qualification (which of course is a future date) and everything, and either choose "pending" from some drop-down menu, or just leave the box, where you're supposed to type the grade into, blank (I don't know the specifics regarding IB). The blank box then means that the grade is pending; if you were to enter a grade then it would look like you've already finished this subject. And then Chemistry shows up on the Reference section as a pending qualification and the referee is supposed to enter the predicted grade.

am applying as in independent candidate, how can i put my predicted grades.
my actual grades i selected A-level and put down my grades without putting modules.
Reply 15
Nobody really seems to be certain whether or not referees can set the predicted grades, so would I be staying safe (and ethical) if I just ask my teachers for them, and enter them myself?
Original post by Abiraleft
Nobody really seems to be certain whether or not referees can set the predicted grades, so would I be staying safe (and ethical) if I just ask my teachers for them, and enter them myself?

But your referee needs to add your reference, and when they add your reference they can also add your predicted grades.
All you do is set your grades as pending, and since your application is linked to your school, when you send your UCAS your referee will first have to add your grades and reference...they then send it off.
Original post by pink giggle
But your referee needs to add your reference, and when they add your reference they can also add your predicted grades.
All you do is set your grades as pending, and since your application is linked to your school, when you send your UCAS your referee will first have to add your grades and reference...they then send it off.

Abiraleft seems to be an international student and then the reference/predicted grades process isn't the same as for UK applicants who apply through their schools.

Abiraleft

Yes, you should ask your teachers for predictions and then enter them yourself.
Abiraleft seems to be an international student and then the reference/predicted grades process isn't the same as for UK applicants who apply through their schools.

I'm not a UK applicant... :tongue: I am applying through an international school though. We only have 5 or so people applying to the UK but predicted grades are still added by our college counselor/referee. But, yees, I do get that it's different for different schools, especially if the school has little experience with students applying to the UK. :redface:
Reply 19

Yes, you should ask your teachers for predictions and then enter them yourself.

Thanks.

(Though if this is the case, I don't see why less conscientious applicants couldn't just choose to misrepresent themselves :s-smilie:)

And I think the reference/predicted grades process differs more on the basis of whether you're an 'individual' applicant or applying through a centre rather than whether you're a UK or international applicant.

pink giggle
I'm not a UK applicant...

I'm pretty sure that when she says Abiraleft, she's talking about me. :tongue:

I'm applying 'as an individual', so my application is not linked to my school. My referee is basically only responsible for my reference.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending