The Student Room Group

Do you agree with reparations for slavery?

Do you agree with concept that people's whose ancestors were slaves should be given money by either the government or descendants of the family that enslaved them?

Scroll to see replies

What do you smoke? It seems quite potent.

Don't be such a damned fool, the people who were the cause of slavery ARE NOT ALIVE, and neither are the slaves themselves.

Now that we're at it, lets have the descendants of Nazis pay reparations to the descendants of the Jews they killed.

HOW CAN YOU MAKE PEOPLE PAY FOR SOMETHING THEY HAVE NOT DONE?

People like you make me want to cry.
No I don't.
Reply 3
Original post by MathematicsKiller

What do you smoke? It seems quite potent.

Don't be such a damned fool, the people who were the cause of slavery ARE NOT ALIVE, and neither are the slaves themselves.

Now that we're at it, lets have the descendants of Nazis pay reparations to the descendants of the Jews they killed.

HOW CAN YOU MAKE PEOPLE PAY FOR SOMETHING THEY HAVE NOT DONE?

People like you make me want to cry.

When at any point did I say I agree with the idea, quote me agreeing with it or **** off. People like you make me angry, because you just try to cause arguments and confrontation without actually looking at the facts.
Original post by sammynorton90
When at any point did I say I agree with the idea, quote me agreeing with it or **** off. People like you make me angry, because you just try to cause arguments and confrontation without actually looking at the facts.

If you ask a stupid question, you're just asking to be called stupid...
Reply 5

If you ask a stupid question, you're just asking to be called stupid...

Ummm, not really. I'm simply asking for people's views on a debatable subject. Even if I did come on here and say I agreed with it, it would be my opinion. Just because you don't think it's a good idea doesn't mean it isn't. By posting ignorant quotes not based on facts, you're asking to be called a ****. Good night
Ummm, not really. I'm simply asking for people's views on a debatable subject. Even if I did come on here and say I agreed with it, it would be my opinion. Just because you don't think it's a good idea doesn't mean it isn't. By posting ignorant quotes not based on facts, you're asking to be called a ****. Good night

M'dear, I don't THINK it is a stupid idea, I KNOW it is a stupid idea.

And how is this a debatable subject? About 100 people would say No. About 5-10 trolls will say Yes. And then you'll have the odd post here and there of someone who can't write in English properly.
(edited 13 years ago)
Errr no. I never enslaved anybody.

If so, I expect the Italian government to be making payments for enslaving thousands of Celts around 2000 years ago. Frankly I think apologising is going to far, none of us had anything to do with it. It's in the past, move on and learn from mistakes...
Should we pay reparations to Indians because of British Imperialism?
Reply 9
Original post by Busby_Babe
Should we pay reparations to Indians because of British Imperialism?

No
Original post by Fusion

No

That's disgusting in every way.

No, I do not agree with reparations.
Do you agree with concept that people's whose ancestors were slaves should be given money by either the government or descendants of the family that enslaved them?

No, but I think history taught in schools might include some of this and not just focus on the glories of Britain.

So why was it the sun never set on the British empire? Coz we shot 'em, pushed 'em opium, took their land and brought diseases.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
Making people pay for their ancestors crimes sets a very dangerous precedent. The real reparations should be equality and equal oppertunity.
Reply 13
Slaves DID get reparations. They got citizenship of two of the richest nations on Earth the United States of America and Great Britain.
Reply 14

Nope. Do the Africans have to pay reparations too?

The African role in the slave trade was fully understood and openly acknowledged by many African-Americans even before the Civil War. For Frederick Douglass, it was an argument against repatriation schemes for the freed slaves. “The savage chiefs of the western coasts of Africa, who for ages have been accustomed to selling their captives into bondage and pocketing the ready cash for them, will not more readily accept our moral and economical ideas than the slave traders of Maryland and Virginia,” he warned. “We are, therefore, less inclined to go to Africa to work against the slave trade than to stay here to work against it.” ...

But the sad truth is that the conquest and capture of Africans and their sale to Europeans was one of the main sources of foreign exchange for several African kingdoms for a very long time. Slaves were the main export of the kingdom of Kongo; the Asante Empire in Ghana exported slaves and used the profits to import gold. Queen Njinga, the brilliant 17th-century monarch of the Mbundu, waged wars of resistance against the Portuguese but also conquered polities as far as 500 miles inland and sold her captives to the Portuguese. When Njinga converted to Christianity, she sold African traditional religious leaders into slavery, claiming they had violated her new Christian precepts.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/23/opinion/23gates.html?_r=1&pagewanted=2
Original post by No Future
No, but I think history taught in schools might include some of this and not just focus on the glories of Britain.

So why was it the sun never set on the British empire? Coz we shot 'em, pushed 'em opium, took their land and brought diseases.

I don't know which school you went to but mine had regular stuff about black history and nothing about the British Empire.
No, that's completely retarded.
Reply 18
Simply no ..................................................'zzzzzz with millions of people in modern slavery I think that if any money is to be spent how about spending it trying to tackle that problem?
Original post by Busby_Babe
I don't know which school you went to but mine had regular stuff about black history and nothing about the British Empire.

What was the majority of your history about?

When I did History in secondary school ours was definitely Anglocentric/ Eurocentric.
We did about half a term on Black slavery (which I do have my concerns about) but the rest of year was about The Tudors, Britain between 1905-1951, WWI/II, The cold war and the like.

But an English school would naturally focus on the Britain's role in history I guess.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending