The Student Room Group

I could have gone to a top uni :(

I achieved four As in AS and applied for medicine and one medical related course at an Okayish uni. I really did think that I would get into medicine and that I wouldn’t have to use my 5th choice. I have received all 4 rejections for medicine but have an offer for my 5th choice.

There are people in my year with lower grades than me who will be going to top unis. I can’t help thinking about the fact if I wasn’t so confident I could have also gone to a better uni.

I feel so depressed I will be going to do BBB course with A*AA. I don’t know what to do. I know it’s a bit pathetic, but I always wanted to study at a top uni, btw taking a gap year is not an option :frown:
Keep anon please

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Medicine is extremely competitive.
Think yourself lucky you even got 1 offer.
Reply 2
Original post by Emmargh

the offer that I have isn't for medicine
Original post by Emmargh

the offer they got wasn't for medicine

OP, you could reapply / transfer while at uni? why isn't a gap year an option?
Reply 4
:nopity:
Take a gap year to get more work experience and try again next year? I've heard that 60% of people don't even get an offer for medicine.
just read the whole post, why can't you take a gap year?
reject the offer and go through ucas extra, but do check the course you want to go to is available.
Take a year out! Medicine is so competitive. My friend has all A* GCSEs and is predicted to get very high A-levels but has only got one offer. Its literally a lottery!

Dont rush into going to uni. You could easily end up going and regret it, take a year out, think about what you want to do and reapply next year
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
the offer that I have isn't for medicine

I see, I'm sorry.
Can't you transfer once you're on the course?
Reply 9
Original post by littleshambles
the offer they got wasn't for medicine

OP, you could reapply / transfer while at uni? why isn't a gap year an option?

tbh the fees are going up, I really can't afford it and what if I don't get into med after reapplying :s-smilie:
Reply 10
Worse things happen at sea.

There's nothing you can do except work a year and try again if you really want to read medicine. But there's no guarantee it will happen for you next year.

So many people want to become doctors that for every place at medical school, there will be several candidates with top marks, and all the related gubbins like being captain of the hockey team, helping the poor and ignorant, kind to animals and have done work experience in the local operating theatre. Out of all of those candidates, some will still not get lucky.

It's like winning the lottery. So many people enter that someone almost always wins the jackpot - but will it be you? Very unlikely.
Yeh, but with a medicine degree doesn't everyone get the same job?
Reply 12
If you don't want to take a gap year your options are obviously gonna be very limited.

Just try to make the best of what you've got, you've got an offer at uni, okay you have potentially A* top uni grades or whatever, but BBB isn't considered bad. Just make the most of it! Some people will have got 5 rejections I'm sure.
Reply 13
Do you want to do Medicine or Go to a top uni?

Either way, take the Gap year. What point is there spend three years doing something you don't want to do? Wasting your time and your tutors time.
honestly i don't think the problem is your grades. i think it lies with work experience, personal statement and interview.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
I achieved four As in AS and applied for medicine and one medical related course at an Okayish uni. I really did think that I would get into medicine and that I wouldn’t have to use my 5th choice. I have received all 4 rejections for medicine but have an offer for my 5th choice.

There are people in my year with lower grades than me who will be going to top unis. I can’t help thinking about the fact if I wasn’t so confident I could have also gone to a better uni.

I feel so depressed I will be going to do BBB course with A*AA. I don’t know what to do. I know it’s a bit pathetic, but I always wanted to study at a top uni, btw taking a gap year is not an option :frown:
Keep anon please

UCAS adjustment?

I believe Imperial have places in Biomedical engineering (on UCAS extra) and have places for Biology (again, it's on UCAS extra).

You could always just do that course and do postgrad medicine?
tbh the fees are going up, I really can't afford it and what if I don't get into med after reapplying :s-smilie:

You can get a loan to cover the higher fees so what?

unless your parents won't let you get a tuition fee loan you can afford it really, the loan system won't bankrupt you or anything. it's daunting but debt like that can be ignored tbh.

the other option from transferring is grad med.
Reply 18
Check out Extra
Original post by chaz1992
UCAS adjustment?

I believe Imperial have places in Biomedical engineering (on UCAS extra) and have places for Biology (again, it's on UCAS extra).

You could always just do that course and do postgrad medicine?

that's a good idea actually, forgot that existed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending