The Student Room Group

Im picking difficult A Levels :/

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ilickbatteries
I assumed you meant that some A-Levels are harder than others.

Top universities think so. They prefer some A level subjects to others. But really it's a matter of temperament - some people think A2 Maths is obvious and do their homework watching the telly, and they struggle with essay type subjects.

It's also a matter of the option papers - in edexcel A2 biology and physics, there's definitely a hard way and an easy way to pass, depending on the extra paper your teacher picks.

If you want to drop a subject, drop Business Studies, unless it really fascinates you.
Original post by Boo!xx
I'm not sure how much use history is going to be, and its a lot of revision (or so I hear) Why not do something more useful like IT or a science?

History is one of the most respected subjects at A2, on the arts side; along with languages and English lit. It's supposed to give you skills at evaluating a mass of material and weighing up evidence. IT is not well regarded by top unis, but do it if it grabs you.
Reply 42
Original post by GoldenCakes02
I'm taking 3 sciences and maths
I didn't think it was going to be that difficult, now im worried :/

I wouldn't be worried.
If you're good enough at the 3 sciences & maths, then you have nothing to worry about :smile: It was just an example of what I, personally would find hard.
Original post by Theconomist
Hah, all 3 sciences and math?
Give me a break,
try doing english,history,sociology and economics and compare that to 3 science and math .
Sciences might be more ''difficult'' but there is definitely a lot more to learn in social sciences.

And you've taken both 'sets' of A levels, or is your comparison flawed in some way?
Reply 44
It's not like you are doing Art A-level...that was like no social life...and it was quite worthless *sigh*
Reply 45
Honestly, you'll be fine. I still have free time to do what I want (OK, not that much, but I'm still social).

Good tips would be to work in all (or at least the majority of) your frees. Do homework soon after you get it. If you're taking the bus or being picked up, bring a textbook with you and re-read over topics. Start revision early. Eat healthy and get enough sleep. Go to revision sessions. Summarise notes and create posters for important information, then stick these to your walls/door. Exercise to let off steam.
Loads of the soft options take up LOADS of time. They're easier but much more time consuming. Like psychology- so much to learn. The textbook is enormous. Or photography, you have to spend lots of time on that.
Subjects like English Lit might be more rigid academically, but you don't have to put so much work in...four exam Qs and two bits of coursework (AS).
Plus, dare I say it, less academic people pick less academic subjects...they might not necessarily find them so easy. Whereas cleverer people find hard subjects doable.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Theconomist
Hah, all 3 sciences and math?
Give me a break,
try doing english,history,sociology and economics and compare that to 3 science and math .
Sciences might be more ''difficult'' but there is definitely a lot more to learn in social sciences.

People probably would do it but how would they use the other 23 hrs in a day?
Reply 48
Original post by linkdapink

Original post by linkdapink
Don't worry, I did Maths, Biology, English Lang/Lit and Business Studies and still had plenty of time to go out and enjoy myself :smile:

But what grades did you get? That is the real question :wink:.
Reply 49
Original post by andromache458
History is one of the most respected subjects at A2, on the arts side; along with languages and English lit. It's supposed to give you skills at evaluating a mass of material and weighing up evidence. IT is not well regarded by top unis, but do it if it grabs you.

English lit gives good conclusion and analysis skills, and science gives good conclusion drawing and evaluative skills. I guess it depends on the person. Doing a science would show balance. And IT skills are always helpful.
Reply 50
Business Studies isnt hard its just ****.
Reply 51
Original post by crazycake93
business studies... hard??? What world do you live in?

It may not be hard but it is stupidly time consuming. The course I did was anyway, was two thirds coursework. My work load this year is nothing in comparison to last year when I was doing AS Business.
Reply 52
I do History, Chemistry, Maths, Art, and AS Italian and am fine with the work load. It can be heavy at times but manageable.
Doing 3 sciences and FM here. Your choices are not 'bad'.

Nobody can say one course of study is harder than another, since everyone has different abilities. I find physics almost a doss, and do almost no work. By comparison, if I did all essay subjects I would be chugging off several 1500 word essays a week. My only 1500 word piece I have ever done is my Biology coursework, which took 20-40 hours including research, and it's not even finished yet!
Reply 54
Can you help me?

I went for an exam the other day as an entry requirement for a sixth form, and took a french exam. I didn't think i did too badly, but they told me today that i couldn't study it there at all, because I wasn't good enough.
I have offers from other schools to study french, but now i'm questioning whether french is actually for me. I've got a*s in writin and both my orals so far, and my teacher says I'm set to get an a* at the end of the year. This has knocked my confidence (and I feel like a prick writing this complaining), but I don't know anymore if French is for me.

Anyone do french that can tell me how different as level is from gcse? Thank you!
Original post by Charlesworth
As long as you manage to stay on top of things and don't fall behind, you will have plenty of time to yourself :smile:

Exactly
Reply 56
i do physics, chemistry, biology, history, got all a's in january and am predicted all a's in summer. i still have time to work and go out - when i picked my choices everyone told me how hard it would all be - and it's only as hard as you think it is really, it's not as hard as everyone makes out. the only thing that's hard to keep up with is the workload.
Reply 57
Original post by phill232
Sigh

thousands of students balance their time enough for these subjects. I chose what people would call hard subjects yet I feel ive had a great social life over the last 2 years. It all depends on how hard you work.

Do you realise how self-absorbed that sounded? Different people have different academic and organisational abilities -- what just because you coasted through A-Levels, doesn't mean everyone will.
Reply 58
Original post by Placebo101
Do you realise how self-absorbed that sounded? Different people have different academic and organisational abilities -- what just because you coasted through A-Levels, doesn't mean everyone will.

im really sorry if thats how that came across but its true. No one coasts through alevel I work from when school starts in the morning at 8am to 11pm at night every week night and have done this for nearly two years. I know people who got straight Cs at GCSEs but they mature and knuckle down and come out of Alevel with great grades. Im saying every alevel student who wants to succeed cannot be intimadated just because it sounds hard but rather get on with it. Its also important to have a social life otherwise i would have a mental breakdown. All my grades came from blood sweat and tears. I was trying to reassure someone that its not impossible and you can have an awesome social life if you can balance your time well. Why shouldnt humans be self absorbed?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by RP-MRU.
But what grades did you get? That is the real question :wink:.

AABb... so quite good. This was also 4/5 years ago, so no such thing as A* back then!

Quick Reply

Latest