The Student Room Group

Can I ask the university to lower their offer for me?

I've got an offer to do Sociology at the University of Bath which I received today which I am really happy about because it's definitely my first choice and I want to firm it.

However, they want me to re-take my French grade to get a B (I have a C). To be honest, I thought I was going to be rejected and had unconditional offers for other universities so when the time came to send of the form to re-take French, I didn't bother with it so now have missed the deadline.

Now Bath have given me an offer, I can't actually re-take French. If they had told me their decision earlier I could have done. I haven't done any revision for it either and it's a whole A-level I would have to re-take.

Their typical offer on UCAS is ABB-BBC and I fall within this category with my grades anyway, so could I ring them and ask if they could give me an unconditional? I think it is reasonable. What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

You can ask, if you wish.

They can say no.

:smile:
You can ask, but they won't.

If they wanted to give you an unconditional, they would have done.
You can't ask them to change it to an unconditional but you can tell them that you are unable to meet the offer because the deadline for resits has passed. Then they will either decide to reject you as you do not have the B they require or they will make it unconditional, or change the conditions so that you can meet it with other resits.
Reply 4
You could try, but I doubt they'll change it. Especially since this year has been so competitive for university places.

Why is it too late to resit the exams? To pay, all it would be is just a bit pricier. (But I'm a scientist so I don't really know how languages work...)

I hope it all works out. :smile:
just call and tell them that since you didn't receive your offer until after the deadline for resitting, that you're unable to.
Reply 6
Original post by History-Student
You can ask, but they won't.

If they wanted to give you an unconditional, they would have done.

But they did state that the typical offers were ABB-BBC. I got A*BC so therefore I fall within that category, but I said in my personal statement that I would be re-taking French, which is probably why they gave me a conditional. Surely if they liked me (they must do to give me an offer) and I fell into that grade bracket, they would still accept me?
Original post by Arielle
But they did state that the typical offers were ABB-BBC. I got A*BC so therefore I fall within that category, but I said in my personal statement that I would be re-taking French, which is probably why they gave me a conditional. Surely if they liked me (they must do to give me an offer) and I fell into that grade bracket, they would still accept me?

Well then why didn't you get the offer right off, rather than them wanting you but then putting a condition on it?

You should check of course, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.
Reply 8
Well then why didn't you get the offer right off, rather than them wanting you but then putting a condition on it?

You should check of course, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

I think it's because I said I was re-taking French anyway and had a prediction in it and everything. I know I shouldn't get my hopes up, I'm just trying to build up a good reason why they should be able to give me an unconditional! :smile:
Original post by Arielle
I think it's because I said I was re-taking French anyway and had a prediction in it and everything. I know I shouldn't get my hopes up, I'm just trying to build up a good reason why they should be able to give me an unconditional! :smile:

And good luck to you, I hope they do. Sorry for being so negative, but it just seems like a weird way for them to do things; be willing to give you an unconditional, but then initially not do it and put a condition on it.
I wish I could argue my case to a University for getting an unconditional offer. I don't know if universities would take it too well. I'd say negotiate your conditional offer, don't "ask" for an unconditional.
Reply 11
And good luck to you, I hope they do. Sorry for being so negative, but it just seems like a weird way for them to do things; be willing to give you an unconditional, but then initially not do it and put a condition on it.

I know I completely understand what you're saying though :smile: I'm just hoping they'll be lenient if they see my situation as I've almost met their offer but still fall into their grade bracket anyway. Let's hope. I'm ringing them tomorrow!
Original post by Arielle
I've got an offer to do Sociology at the University of Bath which I received today which I am really happy about because it's definitely my first choice and I want to firm it.

However, they want me to re-take my French grade to get a B (I have a C). To be honest, I thought I was going to be rejected and had unconditional offers for other universities so when the time came to send of the form to re-take French, I didn't bother with it so now have missed the deadline.

Now Bath have given me an offer, I can't actually re-take French. If they had told me their decision earlier I could have done. I haven't done any revision for it either and it's a whole A-level I would have to re-take.

Their typical offer on UCAS is ABB-BBC and I fall within this category with my grades anyway, so could I ring them and ask if they could give me an unconditional? I think it is reasonable. What do you think?

You can submit an entry form at any time before the actual exams start, you only have to pay a penalty.
Original post by Arielle
I know I completely understand what you're saying though :smile: I'm just hoping they'll be lenient if they see my situation as I've almost met their offer but still fall into their grade bracket anyway. Let's hope. I'm ringing them tomorrow!

Definitely ask. My offer from Exeter was ABB, but I phoned them saying that I'd doubt I'd get a B in French and would probably get a C instead- and they changed my offer to 320 UCAS points :colondollar:
Unbelievable!
Original post by Arielle

Original post by Arielle

So did it say on your UCAS form that you would be resitting the exam?

As if you did and you had a predicted grade, then this changes the situation completely and will make it a lot harder for you to ask them to change the offer, as technically, if you're not taking all of the exams you said you were taking on your UCAS they can revoke the offer.
Reply 16
Original post by lechaton-x
Definitely ask. My offer from Exeter was ABB, but I phoned them saying that I'd doubt I'd get a B in French and would probably get a C instead- and they changed my offer to 320 UCAS points :colondollar:

Ah that's amazing. What exactly did you do and what did you say?
Reply 17
So long as you didnt say you would retake French in your application You've got a shot
Reply 18
Original post by oxymoronic
So did it say on your UCAS form that you would be resitting the exam?

As if you did and you had a predicted grade, then this changes the situation completely and will make it a lot harder for you to ask them to change the offer, as technically, if you're not taking all of the exams you said you were taking on your UCAS they can revoke the offer.

Yes that is true. I just assumed I would be rejected as they took so long to reply and had unconditionals from other universities so I didn't bother re-taking it. I realise that I should have filled out a re-take form anyway, but that was about a month ago and I only received the offer today.

I'm just trying to think of a nice way to explain this to the admissions team. :s-smilie:
Original post by Arielle
Ah that's amazing. What exactly did you do and what did you say?

Well, it's a different situation to you. But here's what I did...

Sent an email to admissions, as politely as I could saying that I couldn't meet the offer.
Phoned back a week later to make sure it had all been followed up.
- It hadn't, but the admissions line put me through to the subject specific admissions team- and they basically said that it was fine and said the new offer would come through on UCAS in a few days...

and that was Exeter, I know we're not talking Oxbridge here- but I like to think that Exeter is a very good and well-thought of school, and they were sympathetic to my case.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending