The Student Room Group

"80 points must be obtained from a minimum of 2 GCE A Level qualifications"

So, I received an offer from Leeds Metropolitan University and the decision letter that I was sent stated the following:

"80 points must be obtained from a minimum of 2 GCE A Level qualifications or equivalent."

Now here's the thing - does that mean that the university is expecting 80 points each from at least two A-Levels, or that they are expecting an overall total of 80 points from the A-Levels that I am doing?

For instance:

Photography - 80 points = C
Film Studies - 80 points = C

OR,

Photography - 40 points = E
Film Studies - 40 points = E

If anyone could clear this up I would be highly grateful, thanks a friggin' bundle :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It would be 80 points overall.
80 points to get onto a degree? Holy feck
Reply 3
Original post by smrj
So, I received an offer from Leeds Metropolitan University and the decision letter that I was sent stated the following:

"80 points must be obtained from a minimum of 2 GCE A Level qualifications or equivalent."

Now here's the thing - does that mean that the university is expecting 80 points each from at least two A-Levels, or that they are expecting an overall total of 80 points from the A-Levels that I am doing?

For instance:

Photography - 80 points = C
Film Studies - 80 points = C

OR,

Photography - 40 points = E
Film Studies - 40 points = E

If anyone could clear this up I would be highly grateful, thanks a friggin' bundle :smile:

What the **** 80 points. Is leeds a good uni?
Reply 4
you can get into a university with 2 Es? :|
Reply 5
Original post by njl

Well, you can potentially get into Christ's Cambridge with 2 E's.

Why neg rep? It's true. I mean they give out about 1 offer like that but you can get into christs with those grades if you're very very very lucky.... (at least I think it's christs, hope I haven't got my colleges mixed up)
(edited 13 years ago)
Whut, 80 points?
Reply 7
Original post by njl

It's probably a foundation course for 1 year which leads onto a BSC honours or it could just be a FDSC course which is a full time foundation degree.

And it means 80 points from the two A levels you are currently doing. You'll get it easily anyway.
Reply 8
Thames Valley require 50 UCAS points on one of their courses
Reply 9
Original post by ppp
What the **** 80 points. Is leeds a good uni?

Leeds Met rather than Leeds, but it's definitely not a trainwreck of a university.
Original post by limetang

Why neg rep? It's true. I mean they give out about 1 offer like that but you can get into christs with those grades if you're very very very lucky.... (at least I think it's christs, hope I haven't got my colleges mixed up)

It is Christ's, but according to their website 1/3rd of their offers are allocated as such - alternatively, they gave out at least one A*A*A*A*A* offer as well last year, for medicine, so if you apply there & get in I guess it'll either be REALLY good or REALLY stressful!
Reply 11
Original post by limetang

Yes, but it's a bit of a catch-22 clause, because the calibre of a student who got an EE offer from Cambridge would probably be so high that they'd already have more than EE from their AS exams alone.
Reply 12
80 points? I need 360 points and that's just to put me in a position to reapply :frown: Damn you medicineeeee!

*Shakes fist towards sky*

But, in answer to your question, it means that as long as you make up 80 points between the 2 courses you'll get in. :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Vinchenko
It is Christ's, but according to their website 1/3rd of their offers are allocated as such - alternatively, they gave out at least one A*A*A*A*A* offer as well last year, for medicine, so if you apply there & get in I guess it'll either be REALLY good or REALLY stressful!

True, but you must still be very lucky to get the offer considering the fact that christs is one of the more applied to colleges (from what I hear), so not only do you need to get into cambridge (difficult), you also need to get into christs (even more difficult) and you need to be in the top third (even more difficult still)
That sounds sooo easy!!
I would have got that after sitting half my AS exams!!
Reply 15
Original post by kerily
Yes, but it's a bit of a catch-22 clause, because the calibre of a student who got an EE offer from Cambridge would probably be so high that they'd already have more than EE from their AS exams alone.

True, I was merely pointing out that you can go to a world class university (theoretically) with 2E's at A level. I mean obviously like you say in practice it's meaningless. I was just making a point more than anything.
Reply 16
woah I need 360...
Reply 17
I need 320. (I felt like joining in because it seemed like a bragging spot.) >.>
Original post by Louzilla
I need 320. (I felt like joining in because it seemed like a bragging spot.) >.>

Um well in that case I win/lose since I need 440 equivalent :tongue:
Reply 19
OP, yes all you do need is 2 A'levels with an E grade at both.

Im guessing this is deifnitely for a foundation degree?

If not, that is really surprising.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending