The Student Room Group

full list of university fees

This is from the BBC news website http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12880840

1 April 2011 Last updated at 16:18

…With the intentions of 24 universities declared, the majority intend to charge fees of £9,000 for their undergraduate degree courses…

…Leeds' University's pro vice chancellor of student education, Professor Vivien Jones, told BBC Radio Leeds why the institution had decided to charge £9,000 a year.
"Universities of all kinds across the country, when they have done, as we have, very careful calculations about what it costs to teach a student, to give them a good quality education, have realised that the government's expectation that an average of £7,500 would be a likely fee just does not cover what it costs," she said…

University Tuition fee Confirmed or expected
Aston ~ £9,000 ~ Confirmed
Bath ~ £9,000 ~ Confirmed
Birmingham ~ £9,000 ~ Confirmed
Bishop Grosseteste, Lincoln ~ £7,500 ~ Confirmed
Cambridge ~ £9,000 ~ Confirmed
Coventry ~ £4,600 - £9,000 ~ Confirmed
Durham ~ £9,000 ~ Confirmed
Essex ~ £9,000 ~ Confirmed
Exeter ~ £9,000 ~ Confirmed
Imperial ~ £9,000 ~ Confirmed
Lancaster ~ £9,000 ~ Confirmed
Leeds ~ £9,000 ~ Confirmed
Leeds Met ~ £8,500 ~ Confirmed
Liverpool ~ £9,000 ~ Expected
Liverpool John Moores ~ £9,000 ~ Confirmed
London Met ~ £4,500 - £9,000 ~ Expected
Loughborough ~ £9,000 ~ Confirmed
Manchester ~ £9,000 ~ Confirmed
Oxford ~ £9,000 ~ Confirmed
Reading ~ £9,000 ~ Confirmed
Surrey ~ £9,000 ~ Confirmed
Sussex ~ £9,000 ~ Confirmed
St Mary's University College, Twickenham ~ £8,000 ~ Confirmed
UCL ~ £9,000 ~ Confirmed
University Campus Suffolk ~ £7,500 - £8,000 ~ Confirmed
Warwick ~ £9,000 ~ Confirmed

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
sorry, i couldnt get the tablle to appear right

on the bbc news page the table has another two coloumns, telling you if it's in the russel group or whatever, and linking to related pages
I love how this system was supposed to encourage competition. Ha.
Reply 3
:frown: Is it just me that seems to remember them saying that only a few uni's will charge the full £9000 and for only certain courses?! Should of known it was BS from politicians. Silly naive me.
Reply 4
Original post by GodspeedGehenna

I know, anyone could see that most universities would just rack the price straight up to £9000 straight away :frown:
They need to be approved by OFFA (office for fair access), which as long as the universities meet the criteria put down by OFFA (which we haven't heard much of yet, but it doesn't seem too much from what we have heard) then they will be allowed to charge the full £9k. The government can't stop universities charging the fee just because they don't want them to charge that.
The head of the body set up to oversee uni fees says there's nothing they can do about it. New legislation will be needed by govt to make changes.
Reply 7
It was pretty much inevitable that most unis will charge the top fee, they will all find a way to weasle their way into getting more money.
Reply 8
yeah, its a shame though, my younger siblings aren't going to be able to go to uni

not that the older two will, one's headed for the army and ones headed for cooking school - but they should have the CHOICE without risking tens of thousands of debt
Original post by jendra9311
yeah, its a shame though, my younger siblings aren't going to be able to go to uni

not that the older two will, one's headed for the army and ones headed for cooking school - but they should have the CHOICE without risking tens of thousands of debt

Not this whole argument again.
Reply 10
Original post by GodspeedGehenna

Just as top up fees were.

I don't know why anyone thought it'd be different this time...
Reply 11
Original post by jendra9311

They do have a choice.

How exactly is it a risk?
Reply 12
Why not?

They just have to show they have made access provision, if Oxbridge can do that anyone can.
Reply 13
Basically:
£9000
£9000
£9000
£9000
£9000
£9000
£9000
£9000 and so on...
Reply 14
The naivety of the government astounds me. Politicians keep saying how shocked they are at the fees proposed by unis and that the whole policy is now unfeasable. What did they expect? If you massively cut funding and then say you can charge up to £9000, the unis are gonna charge £9000.
Also, they haven't paid attention to history. When the last cap for fees was brought in, all of them went for the maximum-it was obvious this was gonna happen again.

Btw, uclan have announced they're gonna charge the full £9000. Portsmouth has gone for £8500, with London south Bank is £8390 and Derby are £6995-7995. The bbc link has updated with this info
To be honest I don't see how some courses can cost £9,000 a year to fund. One of my flat mates studies History and has 8 lectures a week for 24 weeks of the year. Are you really telling me it costs going on £50 per person per lecture when there are going on 300 people in each lecture? That's almost £15,000 per lecture they're making. I call rip off.

For some courses I can understand why they cost so much, but for others it has to be a rip off. A fairer system would be to charge fee's for what each subject actually costs to teach, not some blanket rate for everyone.
Original post by arabcnesbit
To be honest I don't see how some courses can cost £9,000 a year to fund. One of my flat mates studies History and has 8 lectures a week for 24 weeks of the year. Are you really telling me it costs going on £50 per person per lecture when there are going on 300 people in each lecture? That's almost £15,000 per lecture they're making. I call rip off.

For some courses I can understand why they cost so much, but for others it has to be a rip off. A fairer system would be to charge fee's for what each subject actually costs to teach, not some blanket rate for everyone.

Quite often universities will cross subsidise.
Sciences actually cost a lot more than what is charged, so they extra for arts and other subjects which cost them less than what is charged.
Original post by WelshBluebird
Quite often universities will cross subsidise.
Sciences actually cost a lot more than what is charged, so they extra for arts and other subjects which cost them less than what is charged.

Yeah, that's why it's not fair.
hope not :frown:

this is ridiculous.catastrophic.lol some universities ive never heard of are charing 9000.wow.
Original post by mangoh
-rep it clearly does?

This is how: high quality teachers due to tuition fees

How does that work?
The universities won't actually be getting any more money than what they do now, so how will they get better staff? :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending