The Student Room Group

HELP. Offers and Dropped AS: Too late to retake?

HELP. My offer includes an A in the dropped AS where I got a B. What to do?

I have got an offer from Warwick for Economics which I really want to firm.
However, they want an A in chemistry which i dropped at AS when I got a B.
My school guidance person isnt available right now. What can I do?
Is it too late to apply for retakes? Could I call Warwick up and tell them about my situation or will they just say tough luck?

Please help, panicing!
Original post by KP40186

Original post by KP40186
HELP. My offer includes an A in the dropped AS where I got a B. What to do?

I have got an offer from Warwick for Economics which I really want to firm.
However, they want an A in chemistry which i dropped at AS when I got a B.
My school guidance person isnt available right now. What can I do?
Is it too late to apply for retakes? Could I call Warwick up and tell them about my situation or will they just say tough luck?

Please help, panicing!

What did you put on your application form? Did you say that you would be taking the AS to A2 and put the exam as pending, then dropped it later in the year without letting your universities know? Or, if this is for a stand alone AS level, did you put on your application that you were resitting the B grade to make it into an A?

As if this is a case of them wanting the grade at A2, there isn't really anything you can do about it other than explain to Warwick that you're no longer taking the subject. They are allowed to change your offer or take it away because you've changed the terms under which they gave you an offer. So they'll either say:
nope, your other subjects aren't what we want and we're taking away the offer
OR that you've got to get an A in chemistry, so take the exams in the summer if you want to go there.
OR they'll change the offer and ask for an A in another subject.

If this is a case of them needing an A in a stand alone AS subject, a similar sort of rationale applies. You can pay late entry fees to sit the exams in the summer but if you haven't been to any of the classes then I'm not sure how well you'd do, that would be your call after discussing it with your teachers.

However, if you're 100% sure that you didn't list A2 or AS chemistry retakes as one of your exams and there has been a mistake, then contact Warwick and ask for clarification. Explain that you're unable to meet the offer as your chemistry was only taken at AS, you're not resitting the exam and this is what you said on your application, then they will make alternative arrangements.
(edited 13 years ago)
I believe you can still enter for summer exams, but there may be increased costs to pay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending