The Student Room Group

Do your parents hit you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
learn karate and kick his ass! :mad: :angry:

if you don't, give me a message and I will
Original post by Anonymous
Do your parents hit you?

Yes but it is usually when we are in the boxing ring together bonding :smile: we also wrestle :s-smilie:
Original post by NeonSkies
Call the police before something really bad happens to you. You cannot live your life treading on egg shells wondering when he is going to hurt you next. It's completely unacceptable.

My dad did it to my mum and me when I was little, he dragged me up the stairs by one of my ankles and gave me carpet burns all over my legs and back, and not long after this my mum got the courage to phone the police after he hurt her and have him taken away.

I understand you want to protect your fathers' job because it could have consequences for you if he lost it, but your safety comes first, not him. Think about number 1 and report him for abusing you next time something happens. It's about time "men" like this have their comeuppance.

Hear hear :yep:
Reply 23
Im 20. I go to uni @ home.

YOU ARE 20 AND YOUR DAD IS DOING THIS?!? you need to leave asap and find an apartment.
My dad has anger issues & hits me over the smallest of things. He pulls my hair, punches me, and hits me with his slippers. The other day he hit my hand and there was blood all over my white bedsheets.

My mum tries to restrain him, but obviously shes not as strong as he is, she pushed him out the way the last time otherwise "He would have killed me", his words.

They've both been through a lot, my dad lost his job & my mum has acute depression. My sister also died ~15 years ago. Her moodswings are really bad & some of the things she says to me are just terrible, and my young brother has started to copy her.

I've thought about recording my dad when he hits me & reporting him. I don't really know what to do? I'm really petite. it would ruin his career, and my mum doesn't work. Plus at the end of the day, I do care for them but there is no love.

the only viable option is to get help! you cant continue to allow him to abuse you in this way. if you just leave he may take it out on your brother and mum so you have to tackle the problem not run away from it.

good luck xxx
Reply 25
You're 20 and you can't defend yourself?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by No Man
Your 20 and you can't defend yourself?

You try defending yourself when someone hits you, when you're 5 ft 2 and the other person weighs about 3 times the size of you and is 6 ft.
You try defending yourself when someone hits you, when you're 5 ft 2 and the other person weighs about 3 times the size of you and is 6 ft.

Hit the gym man
Reply 28

So he's obese?
Reply 29
Yeah. My dad, anyways. We all (my brothers and I) got hit allot, and pretty much I was the only one who hit back. I got bloody noses and a few bruises but I couldn't help it... my limbs would just seize up in rage and I suppose I did some damage :-/ Don't want to talk about it really.

Anyways, you've got to get him to stop. I don't know about reporting him, as it would simply rip your family apart. But could you work it out with him? My dad and I are very respectful towards one another now, I guess because I've become calmer and more logical rather than "rebellious".
Personally, my parents have never laid a hand on me or my siblings. They've never really been given a reason to. I guess I can somewhat understand parents giving their children the odd slap here and there, but your father is completely out of line and you should have reported him long ago. If you're concerned about ruining his reputation or career, you could perhaps talk to your mum and figure out a way to get him help for his anger issues. However, you also need to make clear to him that his behaviour is not acceptable and that you're not afraid to report him in order to protect yourself.
my mum always used to hit me, punch/kick/twist arms onto floor and kick/hit with hairbrush/pull hair etc etc etc
i think it was more of a phase, it fell onto me more than my younger sister, but i wouldnt change that, now we're both older it's more or less stopped of which i'm very grateful. she still terrifies me though. being at uni is great, away from it, and i'm appreciated more when i come home, but it doesnt last more than a week tops :s-smilie: especially since things are hard at home now as my dad lost his job, so anger is full force!

she once came at me with a knife, and when i ran, she slammed it down and since i was running up the stairs she grabbed my ankle so i hit my face on the steps. i was too scared to run away.

as people have said before, it's best to try and resolve it without the authorities, as it could have a massive impact on your entire family, but if it's as bad as it sounds, and there's blood/bruises etc...then you need to tell someone. is there another close friend/family member who could be there for you without being too involved?

you don't have to put up with it especially since you're now 20. are there any uni. friends you could move in with to escape from it?

trust me, it's such a relief to finally not have to worry about it, but it's good to look after your younger sibling too :smile: i talk to my sister a lot and make sure she's ok, and she knows i'd be home to pick her up in a flash if she ever got hurt!

patience and perseverence, and make sure you don't do anything that may provoke it, although it may be unintentional, it sounds as though little things can trigger it too.

good luck xxx
Reply 32
Just leave it...i used 2 get hit when i was a boy...real badly...i cudnt believe my own dad would kick his own offspring like that.

But i guess it made me a better person. Ive learned from it and maybe i could say i even appreciated it?...

Wow, he must have hit you pretty damn hard.
ps. and no it wasnt because we deserved it as some people will probably suggest :P
i have always been practically an angel child with barely a toe out of line, for fear of doing something wrong!
sometimes it was as much as my room being untidy because i left my hairbrush out.

once i was kicked to the floor and kicked repeatedly and smacked my head on the tiled corner of the wall on falling, because i had folded the towel wrong and the seam was on the left instead of the right, and the label was sticking out. i have never folded a towel wrong since then, believe me! sometimes even fold towels properly in other peoples' houses :wink:
Reply 34
My dad has anger issues & hits me over the smallest of things. He pulls my hair, punches me, and hits me with his slippers. The other day he hit my hand and there was blood all over my white bedsheets.

My mum tries to restrain him, but obviously shes not as strong as he is, she pushed him out the way the last time otherwise "He would have killed me", his words.

They've both been through a lot, my dad lost his job & my mum has acute depression. My sister also died ~15 years ago. Her moodswings are really bad & some of the things she says to me are just terrible, and my young brother has started to copy her.

I've thought about recording my dad when he hits me & reporting him. I don't really know what to do? I'm really petite. it would ruin his career, and my mum doesn't work. Plus at the end of the day, I do care for them but there is no love.

At 20 you should get out of there now. Any way possible.

You are being abused.
Reply 35
ps. and no it wasnt because we deserved it as some people will probably suggest :P
i have always been practically an angel child with barely a toe out of line, for fear of doing something wrong!
sometimes it was as much as my room being untidy because i left my hairbrush out.

once i was kicked to the floor and kicked repeatedly and smacked my head on the tiled corner of the wall on falling, because i had folded the towel wrong and the seam was on the left instead of the right, and the label was sticking out. i have never folded a towel wrong since then, believe me! sometimes even fold towels properly in other peoples' houses :wink:

Geez, you make me look like a spoiled baby!
Reply 36
I can't BELIEVE some of the answers on here and how some people can be so insensitive - don't listen to these idiots.

For those who have given constructive advice, I suggest you follow it. If you're relying on your dad's income then yes, he may lose his job, but there is financial support available for you out there to help at least yourself if you haven't got enough to get by - Student Loan take this into account if your dad isn't working, you just need to give them a call.
First and foremost however, call the police or talk to someone at University like your personal tutor or a close family friend who you can trust and get advice on what the next step is you should take - you can explain your situation better to them than to people across the internet.

Don't let this situation continue. Think about your sibling too - and your mum.
Move the hell out of the house!!! :eek:

If they don't let you, run away!!! :sadnod:
Original post by tite23
Geez, you make me look like a spoiled baby!

sorry, i didn't mean it that way, just didnt want people saying i deserved it XD :P
i feel a bit spoiled as i've had holidays etc. but never ever ask for money or presents or anything haha. just not how i roll XD
Occasionally my parents do, and it's usually for the tiniest little thing. I'm 17, female and also quite petite.
The majority of the time- I am the person in the wrong, but slapping/punching me does nothing, it doesn't help me stop what I'm doing and I've told this to them. If they choose to ignore me and thinks it's alright to lay their hands on me, I just stare them out and say 'don't ****ing touch me' and they won't go any further.

And we're usually mates again in the morning. Swings and roundabouts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending