The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Sheffield (law) Fresher: Feel free to ask any questions

I'm a fresher studying Law (LLB), anyone got any questions that they want an answer to? :smile:
Reply 1
Yes!
What grades did you need to get in?
Are the people nice?
Are there little cliques, or are people willing to meet new people and make new friends?
Are the lecturers good?
How much do you spend a month including accomodation?
Are there a lot of places to visit?
I've checked out Sheffield and it looks pretty cool, but I'd LOVE to get a student's opinion! So really! Tell me everything, the good, the bad and the ugly! It will be VERY appreciated ^^
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Original post by Miss G
Yes!
What grades did you need to get in?
Are the people nice?
Are there little cliques, or are people willing to meet new people and make new friends?
Are the lecturers good?
How much do you spend a month including accomodation?
Are there a lot of places to visit?
I've checked out Sheffield and it looks pretty cool, but I'd LOVE to get a student's opinion! So really! Tell me everything, the good, the bad and the ugly! It will be VERY appreciated ^^

:smile:

AAA BUT they accept general studies, or extended projects (NOT both) and if you get for example A*AB, they're likely (but not certain) to accept you!

The people are LOVELY. The staff are so friendly. Law is like it's own little world there because you can only do modules within the law department and not many other courses have the option of doing law modules. It's like a little family IF you get yourself involved. I really mean it.

Go watch the moots, get involved with the committee events and really above all GO on the socials. So much effort is put into making them events to meet new people and I've made the most amazing friends on the law nights out! You neeeeeed to go on them, I can't say it enough! Even if you don't know anyone at your first one just go! :smile:

The lectures are good, I find them very interesting and the lecturers are really nice and approachable people. :smile:

Well my mum and dad pay for my accomodation haha but I withdraw £50 every Sunday and only spend that. Tends to do 2-3 nights out and food for me! Haha.

Are you interested in going out at night? That's amazing! I could tell you so much about the nightlife.

Meadowhall has AMAZING shops. Seriously so good. 50p bus and then a 4 minute train ride (often don't even get asked for tickets), ice skating nearby, lots of cinemas and stuff around too!

Sheffield's amazing, the people are amazing. I have no regrets at all. Other than the hills :P

Any other Q's? :smile: xxxx
Reply 3
Thank you ^^ That was really informative!
One last question that I forgot, how are international students perceived?
Reply 4
Original post by Miss G
Thank you ^^ That was really informative!
One last question that I forgot, how are international students perceived?

Well in halls they tend to all be put in flats together which I find quite odd. But you can ask to be put in a flat with english students as you think that will improve your language if you wish to do so when you apply for your accommodation.

There are 6 flats of internationals in my building and they do tend to stick in groups, so you see a lot of the spanish hanging around with the spanish and so on, but I have made friends with numerous international students and I really get on with them! If you put yourself out there and branch out to meet english students then there really won't be a problem.

It's all about putting yourself out there, getting out of your comfort zone! It really pays off!! :smile: x
Reply 5
Thank you so much! That was very helpful ^^
Reply 6
Original post by John0601
Not law-specific, but how would you say the general living costs are in Sheffield? Food, going out, etc.

Thanks

Sorry - totally missed this. Erm well I'm from Manchester so the prices don't seem to differ too much. I tend to spend £50-60 a week on living, excluding rent. I could probably do it cheaper but I have a lot of help from home and I work so I treat myself :tongue:

I'd say that accommodation for first years at sheffield uni is expensive - I'd go shared bathroom if you're funding yourself. You have to share when you move into a house anyway and it makes it cheaper :smile:

Going out - quadvod at corporation is £2 so you WILL end up hammered on a small amount. If you predrink you can easily to a night out on £15 and end up pretty wasted. I usually take around £10 out and it's not too bad at all! :smile:
Reply 7
What is the fastest animal on earth?
Hey,

I have a few questions too!

Are there enough Law books available from the Library or do you think we need to buy our own?

Also, when it comes to exam prep are past papers / mark schemes readily available from the tutors / online? Without them I doubt I'd have done very well at A level!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending