The Student Room Group

I want to lose close to a stone in 4 weeks..here's how I'm going to do it

Will it work?
I'm going to walk fast/jog(depends) every evening for an hour, 7.2 kilometres followed by a half-hour swim.
Diet-wise, I'm going to eat a lot of cereal for breakfast, probably museli and an apple. Lunch will be a regular meal, of course with not too much of fatty stuff and some salad. I'll have some biscuits and another apple at around 4 and then just a glass of milk for dinner.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kalaghoda

Will it work?
I'm going to walk fast/jog(depends) every evening for an hour, 7.2 kilometres followed by a half-hour swim.
Diet-wise, I'm going to eat a lot of cereal for breakfast, probably museli and an apple. Lunch will be a regular meal, of course with not too much of fatty stuff and some salad. I'll have some biscuits and another apple at around 4 and then just a glass of milk for dinner.

No. It won't work.

Firstly, you need to do more than walking fast or jogging. Research HIIT. This can speed up your metabolism and help you burn more fat than just jogging would in 4 weeks.

As for breakfast, you need to not eat 'a lot of cereal' no matter what the cereal is. You need to have a normal amount - one bowl and some fruit.

As for lunch, have a sandwhich or something! Make sure you eat food with high nutritional values and not too many carbs or rather, not too much of one food group which for a lot of people is carbs

For you mid-afternoon snack leave the biscuits! Keep the apple but substitute the biscuits for a boiled egg or biopot yogurt/activia - low fat/fat free

If you have just a glass of milk for dinner the you're basically starving yourself.
Have a tuna omellette or grilled salmon for dinner. You need your protein which a lot of people lack.

And eat something atleast an hour or two before you go bed like fruit or veg or something so that you don't over eat next morning for breakfast/throughout the day.
Reply 2
Original post by Vixen47
No. It won't work.

Firstly, you need to do more than walking fast or jogging. Research HIIT. This can speed up your metabolism and help you burn more fat than just jogging would in 4 weeks.

As for breakfast, you need to not eat 'a lot of cereal' no matter what the cereal is. You need to have a normal amount - one bowl and some fruit.

As for lunch, have a sandwhich or something! Make sure you eat food with high nutritional values and not too many carbs or rather, not too much of one food group which for a lot of people is carbs

For you mid-afternoon snack leave the biscuits! Keep the apple but substitute the biscuits for a boiled egg or biopot yogurt/activia - low fat/fat free

If you have just a glass of milk for dinner the you're basically starving yourself.
Have a tuna omellette or grilled salmon for dinner. You need your protein which a lot of people lack.

And eat something atleast an hour or two before you go bed like fruit or veg or something so that you don't over eat next morning for breakfast/throughout the day.

You missed out the fact that I will swim for half an hour in addition to the walk

You missed out the fact that I will swim for half an hour in addition to the walk

Oh right. Lol, sorry. Increase the swimming to an hour, do that 4-6 times a week and you should be on your way :smile:

You should try HIIT swimming :wink:
Presuming you are a girl [ sorry is you're not ] you need 2000 cals a day normally. To lose a stone in 4 weeks you need to eat only 250 cals a day. However, if you exercise add the number of cals you burn onto 250. Eg say if you burn 800 calories at the gym [ which it pretty hard to do ] add 800 to 250 which is 1050, and that is the number of cals you should eat a day. Make sure you eat plenty of protein to prevent losing muscle mass, and take vitamin supplements.
Can I also point out that this is not entirely healthy, but it's you choice :smile:
Will it work?

It sounded fine until you said a glass of milk for dinner. You'll be really hungry and either won't stick to it or will pile some of the weight back on as soon as you start eating normally again.

You can lose a stone in 4 weeks, but it doesn't need to be as drastic. Have a look at joining WeightWatchers - it's produced excellent results for a lot of people I know and you can eat things you enjoy as long as you stick inside your points allowance.

When my Mum first started she lost 7lbs in the first week and 2lbs every week after that, which is 13lbs in the first month.... and she had an indian takeaway every weekend and didn't do as much exercise as you're planning on doing!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
it depends all on how big you are at the minute! if youre quite big then you could lose a stone in a week!! but if youre like me trying to lose weight, you'll only lose about 3 lbs a week....
Reply 7
Original post by Vixen47
Oh right. Lol, sorry. Increase the swimming to an hour, do that 4-6 times a week and you should be on your way :smile:

You should try HIIT swimming :wink:

Umm I have an option of going swimming in the morning and walking in the evening? Would that be a good option?

Umm I have an option of going swimming in the morning and walking in the evening? Would that be a good option?

Yeah, but you won't lose anything as fast as you want.

Instead of walking in the evening run
Reply 9
Original post by Vixen47
Yeah, but you won't lose anything as fast as you want.

Instead of walking in the evening run

so if i run instead of walking(really fast) in the evening, I won't lose at all?
so if i run instead of walking(really fast) in the evening, I won't lose at all?

Okay, I'm confused.

Here's the thing:
Walking does very little in 4 weeks. No matter how much/how fast you walk, it does very little. Running on the other hand works your body and your muscles and the faster you run, the more your body works to keep up with you. SO, walking will work but very slowly which is why I recommend running IF you wanna lose something in 4 weeks.
Reply 11
Original post by Vixen47
Okay, I'm confused.

Here's the thing:
Walking does very little in 4 weeks. No matter how much/how fast you walk, it does very little. Running on the other hand works your body and your muscles and the faster you run, the more your body works to keep up with you. SO, walking will work but very slowly which is why I recommend running IF you wanna lose something in 4 weeks.

hmm..thanks..i'm doing the swimming though..
Reply 12

:facepalm: In this thread: OP ignores all sensible advice with a brilliant riposte: 'i'm doing the swimming though..'
Reply 13
Original post by tface
:facepalm: In this thread: OP ignores all sensible advice with a brilliant riposte: 'i'm doing the swimming though..'

I'm not ignoring any advice. I have a shin problem which prevents me from running. I'm just trying to find a way around it.
I'm not ignoring any advice. I have a shin problem which prevents me from running. I'm just trying to find a way around it.

To be fair, you didnt mention that in the OP. So how would the people giving replies know.
I don't get why people are giving advice, the OP obviously lacks the most important thing when it comes to endeavours such as losing weight: willpower.

That and like most people, they're quite obviously retarded.

Do you know how hard it will be to lose a stone in 4 weeks just by swimming and walking??
4 weeks of swimming and walking isnt gonna get u anywhere near where u wanna be. I gave you the information you need to lose [almost] 1 stone and if you wanna. ignore it (which you're doing anyway) then go ahead. Just know that your method will not lose near enough what you wanna lose.

And dont listen to that "eat 250cal and exercise off 850" bs. That could kill you. And if it doesnt kill you then it would hospitalise you.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by concubine
I don't get why people are giving advice, the OP obviously lacks the most important thing when it comes to endeavours such as losing weight: willpower.

That and like most people, they're quite obviously retarded.

How do I lack willpower?
Reply 18
Original post by Vixen47
Do you know how hard it will be to lose a stone in 4 weeks just by swimming and walking??
4 weeks of swimming and walking isnt gonna get u anywhere near where u wanna be. I gave you the information you need to lose [almost] 1 stone and if you wanna. ignore it (which you're doing anyway) then go ahead. Just know that your method will not lose near enough what you wanna lose.

And dont listen to that "eat 250cal and exercise off 850" bs. That could kill you. And if it doesnt kill you then it would hospitalise you.

Why are you getting so offensive? Did you not read my earlier post where I mentioned that I am not ignoring anyone's advice, it's just that I can't run because I have a shin problem.
Why are you getting so offensive? Did you not read my earlier post where I mentioned that I am not ignoring anyone's advice, it's just that I can't run because I have a shin problem.

He was telling you the facts. I on the other hand am going to be offensive. Your an idiot. Now go read the stickies.

Quick Reply

Latest