The Student Room Group

Why is there so much talk about pick-up artistry, PUA and The Game on TSR?

this topic seems quite common on TSR. its mentioned most in the approaching girls threads where guys talk about using these pick-up lines and PUA techniques on girls in public in order to get them.

on the other hand, i have never ever heard anyone talking about these things in the real world and nor have i seen any books on pick-up artistry being sold in high street shops. i would have imagined girls would thing you were a creepy loser and run away if you tried these techniques on them. why is there so much talk of it on TSR? there are even other forums on the internet dedicated solely to these techniques.
Reply 1
Because people would rather talk about these sort of tactics anonymously online, instead of with people they know who might ridicule them, or change their opinion of them. It's all about the anonymity.
Reply 2
Also, TSRians got no game.
A good analogy for this a friend of mine. A little background: he's not very good at taking criticism, quite a bland looking guy and white as ****.

He read 'The Game' by Neil Strauss. Granted, I've read it myself and realised within the first ten pages it's clearly an account retold for entertainment, not a guide. So, he reads it considers himself as 'a player' making himself incredibly obvious to girls by, honestly, dancing incredibly badly (those who have read the book - this is him misunderstanding the terminology of peacocking).

He'll pull every now and then. The girls will be as ugly as sin but to him, it's about the numbers game. Why? To give the middle finger to all the girls who have rejected him in the past. Eventually, he'll find a girl who'll want a relationship with him. He spends every living minute with her, blowing off already confirmed plans to spend time with his friends in order to be with her. Without fail. This is expected in normal relationships but he does this every time.

The relationship fails because he's too clingy. The cycle repeats itself until he finds an equally clingy girl.

Welcome to 90% of TSR males.

Tl;dr - guys don't need educating on how to pick up slags. Such knowledge is intuitive. What they need help in understanding is what to do when they find the right girl - if they spend so much time meeting new women every night, it's a mathmatical certainty they'll find somebody they class as perfect.
I'd never heard of any of those things before TSR either. Whether there's any truth in them or not, I'm not fond of the way they treat love/chatting up girls so scientifically/formulaic.
Reply 5
Original post by Dr Pressure
this topic seems quite common on TSR. its mentioned most in the approaching girls threads where guys talk about using these pick-up lines and PUA techniques on girls in public in order to get them.

on the other hand, i have never ever heard anyone talking about these things in the real world and nor have i seen any books on pick-up artistry being sold in high street shops. i would have imagined girls would thing you were a creepy loser and run away if you tried these techniques on them. why is there so much talk of it on TSR? there are even other forums on the internet dedicated solely to these techniques.

Nearly all the women who complain about The Game are nothing but a bunch of a hypocrites.
Women have been using the same or similar techniques for years/decades/centuries, and now they're mad because guys also are using them. Pathetic.
Reply 6
Damn you! I just lost the game!
Reply 7
Its full of virgins.
Reply 8
It's creepy and predatory. Yuck.
Reply 9
lol it dont even work
its good if u wanna paint ur nails and walk around lookin like a fag
PS i saw that show thats how i know
Original post by Trigger

And pathetic, don't forget pathetic.
Reply 11
Original post by Mr Ben

Me too :'(
Original post by Mr Ben

:fuhrer:
seriously?

It's the internet...
Reply 14
I just lost the Game. :frown:
Original post by Trigger

and even worse, it does not work. unless the girl is pretty thick. in which case just tell her your an aristocrat and own a small castle in scotland and bob's your uncle!
Reply 17
Original post by Anonymous
A good analogy for this a friend of mine. A little background: he's not very good at taking criticism, quite a bland looking guy and white as ****.

He read 'The Game' by Neil Strauss. Granted, I've read it myself and realised within the first ten pages it's clearly an account retold for entertainment, not a guide. So, he reads it considers himself as 'a player' making himself incredibly obvious to girls by, honestly, dancing incredibly badly (those who have read the book - this is him misunderstanding the terminology of peacocking).

He'll pull every now and then. The girls will be as ugly as sin but to him, it's about the numbers game. Why? To give the middle finger to all the girls who have rejected him in the past. Eventually, he'll find a girl who'll want a relationship with him. He spends every living minute with her, blowing off already confirmed plans to spend time with his friends in order to be with her. Without fail. This is expected in normal relationships but he does this every time.

The relationship fails because he's too clingy. The cycle repeats itself until he finds an equally clingy girl.

Welcome to 90% of TSR males.

Tl;dr - guys don't need educating on how to pick up slags. Such knowledge is intuitive. What they need help in understanding is what to do when they find the right girl - if they spend so much time meeting new women every night, it's a mathmatical certainty they'll find somebody they class as perfect.

This is disturbingly accurate - certainly to me anyway...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending