The Student Room Group

has anyone used a JML Iron Gym Total Upper Body Workout Bar

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Iron-Total-Upper-Body-Workout/dp/B002GHBRWA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309615567&sr=8-1

Ignoring the totally cheesy :angry:GET RIPPED NOW:angry: advertisement, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this particular piece of kit. I'm looking for a non fixed pullup bar as I will be doing all my workouts at home in the near future and this one seems to have the advantage of extra uses (pressups, dips etc)

So if you have used this I would like to hear from you, what are your thoughts on stability, safety, practicality and value for money.

Thanks. Mike.
Reply 1
My flatmate had one.

It tried it myself - it was safe and useful if you cannot go drilling holes for fixtures.

You have a choice of grips etc. which are useful for variance.

It is good value if you prefer bodyweight exercises and do not want to spend money on a gym membership.
Original post by mikestraws
I'm looking for a non fixed pullup bar as I will be doing all my workouts at home in the near future...

Everybody has this phobia of screwing in a few brackets, you're talking about a matter of pence and a couple of minutes to fill and repaint a couple of screw holes should you live in a rented property or with your parents. Plus a fixed doorway bar is cheaper, stronger, more stable and more likely to work/fit.

These 'portable' chinup bars aren't without their own issues. For a start they don't fit many doorways (in all of the houses I've lived in or rented it has always been a struggle finding a doorway that it will fit) and they will damage the paintwork where they rub on the doorframe.

and this one seems to have the advantage of extra uses (pressups, dips etc)

TBH you can't perform proper dips with one of these unless you're using an absolute tiny range of motion and as for pushups you might as well just do them off the floor because it will be just as good, if not better, for you.
Reply 3
Yes, I have one. Money well spent! When I bought it, I couldn't do a single pull-up or pull-down. Literally couldn't pull myself up. So I just stood on a chair and let myself 'fall down' slowly, using all my strength to control my rate of descent. Now I can do several pull-ups, and some pull-downs. I'm gettin' there.

All those 170 5 star ratings are justified, imo. It's cheap and does the job. It's very easy to set up (I just leave it by the door, and attach it in seconds, and take it down in seconds when I'm done with it). It leaves no marks (I wouldn't be living if it did - this ain't my house), and is very secure.

It's also useful for doing push-ups. So yeah, get one.

Check this video out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_vw0P8EVwQ
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ch0c0h01ic
Everybody has this phobia of screwing in a few brackets, you're talking about a matter of pence and a couple of minutes to fill and repaint a couple of screw holes should you live in a rented property or with your parents. Plus a fixed doorway bar is cheaper, stronger, more stable and more likely to work/fit.

These 'portable' chinup bars aren't without their own issues. For a start they don't fit many doorways (in all of the houses I've lived in or rented it has always been a struggle finding a doorway that it will fit) and they will damage the paintwork where they rub on the doorframe.

TBH you can't perform proper dips with one of these unless you're using an absolute tiny range of motion and as for pushups you might as well just do them off the floor because it will be just as good, if not better, for you.

Yeah I realized watching the video how pathetic the dips are. I know that fixed door bar is better but I move between properties quite a lot so I really need something portable :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by Dreamseeker

Dude scooby is the reason I'm not renewing my gym membership...that and the NHS canning me *political rant* :cool: That guys website has become my bible for the time being.
Dude scooby is the reason I'm not renewing my gym membership...that and the NHS canning me *political rant* :cool: That guys website has become my bible for the time being.

bruv, scooby is a frawd.

The amount of rubbish he spews.
So, how is the bar attached, if its not fixed? Cant understand from the pics.
Reply 8
Original post by obviouslystudying
So, how is the bar attached, if its not fixed? Cant understand from the pics.

I'm terrible at explaining things, basically designs like this use the two arms at the top to stabelise the bar, but all the pressure and weight goes to the bars on the side, pushing against the door frame.

Original post by DeanK22
bruv, scooby is a frawd.

The amount of rubbish he spews.

Care to expand on that? He has nothing to gain by lying since he doesn't charge for any information on his website, and there are countless people who I have spoken to personally who have based their workouts around his philosophy. Plus I think the word you are looking for is "fraud". "Bruv"
(edited 12 years ago)
Care to expand on that? He has nothing to gain by lying since he doesn't charge for any information on his website,

That doesn't validate everything that he claims nor stop him from spewing BS.

and there are countless people who I have spoken to personally who have based their workouts around his philosophy.

As above.

Anecdotal reports from predominantly small and/or weak people with little or no training knowledge or experience does not fill me with confidence personally.
Reply 10
That doesn't validate everything that he claims nor stop him from spewing BS.
As above.
Anecdotal reports from predominantly small and/or weak people with little or no training knowledge or experience does not fill me with confidence personally.

Unfortunately I cannot disagree with you because I know what Internet moderators are like. I will proceed to nod my head silently and go about my day. :cool:
Unfortunately I cannot disagree with you because I know what Internet moderators are like. I will proceed to nod my head silently and go about my day. :cool:

Prejudice and anecdotal evidence don't get you anywhere.

Open your mind, you will struggle to find someone who is serious about training advocating Scooby's advice. By all means ask what the other Fitness regulars think about Scooby. Sure there is some truth to some of what Scooby says and for most it is a step in the right direction, but he is not a training 'authority' who you should blindly follow and you should take what he says with a grain of salt (RE: bull****).

With all due respect you are a novice and I will guarantee that the same can be said about the people who you spoke to who hold Scooby in high regard.
Reply 12
Prejudice and anecdotal evidence don't get you anywhere.

Open your mind, you will struggle to find someone who is serious about training advocating Scooby's advice. By all means ask what the other Fitness regulars think about Scooby. Sure there is some truth to some of what Scooby says and for most it is a step in the right direction, but he is not a training 'authority' who you should blindly follow and you should take what he says with a grain of salt (RE: bull****).

With all due respect you are a novice and I will guarantee that the same can be said about the people who you spoke to who hold Scooby in high regard.

Ah dude I was kidding :rolleyes: Of course I am a noobie at this stuff but at the end of the day the way you learn is by talking to people. And what would you call a novice? Someone who has been keeping fit or partaking in a certain sport for five years and has a great body? What about a boxing trainer at the gym? Or a retired semi professional footballer? Just some of the people I talk to to get advice on what to aim for, what to base my goals on and methods I should look into. I'm not saying that any one person has the right way or the wrong because everyone works differently.

If you're saying that anecdotal evidence won't get my anywhere, then who do you suggest I talk to about fitness? Isn't it all anecdotal? Don't we make our own decisions based on the experiences of those close to us or people we meet?
Ah dude I was kidding :rolleyes: Of course I am a noobie at this stuff but at the end of the day the way you learn is by talking to people. And what would you call a novice? Someone who has been keeping fit or partaking in a certain sport for five years and has a great body? What about a boxing trainer at the gym? Or a retired semi professional footballer? Just some of the people I talk to to get advice on what to aim for, what to base my goals on and methods I should look into. I'm not saying that any one person has the right way or the wrong because everyone works differently.

If you're saying that anecdotal evidence won't get my anywhere, then who do you suggest I talk to about fitness? Isn't it all anecdotal? Don't we make our own decisions based on the experiences of those close to us or people we meet?

You're focusing on the wrong things and misinterpreting what everybody is saying. Just because we say he gives terrible advice and that you shouldn't trust anecdotal, limited evidence by newcomers doesn't mean you can twist these words to suit your own agenda.

"And what would you call a novice? Someone who has been keeping fit or partaking in a certain sport for five years and has a great body? What about a boxing trainer at the gym? Or a retired semi professional footballer? Just some of the people I talk to to get advice on what to aim for, what to base my goals on and methods I should look into."

See, now you are putting a negative spin on his reply, but because I'm not a twisting, condescending bitch who corrects spelling to feel superior and sarcastically repeats niceties, I will answer:

"Someone who has been keeping fit and partaking in a certain sport for five years." I hate to break it to you fatty, but actually most people DO keep fit and play sport throughout high-school and University. That is, they keep fit by running, swimming, going to the gym, training at lunch, intervals sand dune runs, etc. However, they might not know much about fitness. Just because someone does 100 push ups between side to side intervals on the rugby pitch looks good, doesn't mean that is the best way to train.

"What about a boxing trainer at the gym?" Again, trainers are excellent and terrible. Boxing is one of the few endavours good trainers are usually easy to find - but the thick of it is his aim is to make you a better boxer, not bulk up. His advice would be squat, bench press with milk and oats for bulking, probably.

"Or a retired semi professional footballer?" A nobody. Anybody can train to become good at the sport they do [see high-school and university training]. To become excellent [that is, professional] you need to step it up. I'm not saying this guy is clueless, but he is a nobody who doesn't neccesarily teach bulking - simply staying strong and cardiovascualy fit.

"Just some of the people I talk to to get advice on what to aim for, what to base my goals on and methods I should look into."
Do you have a reason for that? They are so varied and you are so obviously unfit. In five years time when you actually look half fit, speak to ONE of the people about doing ONE sport - e.g. the footballer - and ask to train with him or his old club. Right now they're just guessing what you should do to get your fat ass in reasonable shape.

Scooby is a man - one of millions with a big body. Is he well educated? I am unsure, but the way he speaks in his few videos, I would say he is not clued up with respect to many things.

Do you honestly believe he used light weights, good form, bodyweight exercises and pull up bars to get that big? Put on only a thimble of muscle a week? No, he went to the gym spewed out squats, benches and deads near his maximum thousands of times, ate well and plenty, perhaps juiced (that won't discount the first two).

I PROMISE you he doesn't do the workouts at his site.
Reply 14
Original post by DeanK22
You're focusing on the wrong things and misinterpreting what everybody is saying. Just because we say he gives terrible advice and that you shouldn't trust anecdotal, limited evidence by newcomers doesn't mean you can twist these words to suit your own agenda.

"And what would you call a novice? Someone who has been keeping fit or partaking in a certain sport for five years and has a great body? What about a boxing trainer at the gym? Or a retired semi professional footballer? Just some of the people I talk to to get advice on what to aim for, what to base my goals on and methods I should look into."

See, now you are putting a negative spin on his reply, but because I'm not a twisting, condescending bitch who corrects spelling to feel superior and sarcastically repeats niceties, I will answer:

"Someone who has been keeping fit and partaking in a certain sport for five years." I hate to break it to you fatty, but actually most people DO keep fit and play sport throughout high-school and University. That is, they keep fit by running, swimming, going to the gym, training at lunch, intervals sand dune runs, etc. However, they might not know much about fitness. Just because someone does 100 push ups between side to side intervals on the rugby pitch looks good, doesn't mean that is the best way to train.

"What about a boxing trainer at the gym?" Again, trainers are excellent and terrible. Boxing is one of the few endavours good trainers are usually easy to find - but the thick of it is his aim is to make you a better boxer, not bulk up. His advice would be squat, bench press with milk and oats for bulking, probably.

"Or a retired semi professional footballer?" A nobody. Anybody can train to become good at the sport they do [see high-school and university training]. To become excellent [that is, professional] you need to step it up. I'm not saying this guy is clueless, but he is a nobody who doesn't neccesarily teach bulking - simply staying strong and cardiovascualy fit.

"Just some of the people I talk to to get advice on what to aim for, what to base my goals on and methods I should look into."
Do you have a reason for that? They are so varied and you are so obviously unfit. In five years time when you actually look half fit, speak to ONE of the people about doing ONE sport - e.g. the footballer - and ask to train with him or his old club. Right now they're just guessing what you should do to get your fat ass in reasonable shape.

Scooby is a man - one of millions with a big body. Is he well educated? I am unsure, but the way he speaks in his few videos, I would say he is not clued up with respect to many things.

Do you honestly believe he used light weights, good form, bodyweight exercises and pull up bars to get that big? Put on only a thimble of muscle a week? No, he went to the gym spewed out squats, benches and deads near his maximum thousands of times, ate well and plenty, perhaps juiced (that won't discount the first two).

I PROMISE you he doesn't do the workouts at his site.

Firstly, I'm not a fatty (anymore) and people who are unfit cannot run 10k's or pass Royal Air Force fitness tests, but thanks for your concern & negativity, they both mean a lot. <3 Don't worry, I still hate my body.

No matter how it looks, I'm actually not trying to be argumentative or negative, I have only been in this game a year and a half and to be honest I'm thankful you've taken the time to try and set me straight. I'm not some sort of crazed Scooby fanboy, but I do love free advice, and since he seems to focus mostly on beginners working out at home, I've read a lot of his stuff because my financial situation has just changed to the point that I can't go to the gym for a while so home workouts it is. I'm also looking at the Starting Strength and the 5x5 workouts that people on here talk about. (currently find them a bit confusing and overwhelming but its all fresh material for me) I'm not trying to become a bodybuilder or an athlete (yet) just trying to increase my fitness and improve my body composition slowly, safely and effectively.

The only thing I can say that I know for a fact is the basics. Nutrition, exercise, hard work and improvement over time is the right way. Fad diets and crappy daytime tv advertised "lose 50 pounds in 5 weeks" or "GET RIPPED IN 28 DAYS" routines are more often than not the wrong way to go.

I have been successful in my methods and hit my goals so far, and now I'm on the search for more information. Care to share any, or just want to tell me how much I fail? To be honest I'm happy with either response!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
Just had a look at that guys site and I seriously doubt he used that routine himself. There's also a serious lack of leg exercises.
Reply 16
Original post by Jono404
Just had a look at that guys site and I seriously doubt he used that routine himself. There's also a serious lack of leg exercises.

As I've said, it was my interpretation that the routines are aimed at people starting out with bodybuilding or strength workouts. I've found nowhere on that site where he claims he used those exact routines to get to there he is today, I could be wrong, he could have made that claim. But I have never seen it. Thats just me.
(edited 12 years ago)
Firstly, I'm not a fatty (anymore) and people who are unfit cannot run 10k's or pass Royal Air Force fitness tests, but thanks for your concern & negativity, they both mean a lot. <3 Don't worry, I still hate my body.

No matter how it looks, I'm actually not trying to be argumentative or negative, I have only been in this game a year and a half and to be honest I'm thankful you've taken the time to try and set me straight. I'm not some sort of crazed Scooby fanboy, but I do love free advice, and since he seems to focus mostly on beginners working out at home, I've read a lot of his stuff because my financial situation has just changed to the point that I can't go to the gym for a while so home workouts it is. I'm also looking at the Starting Strength and the 5x5 workouts that people on here talk about. (currently find them a bit confusing and overwhelming but its all fresh material for me) I'm not trying to become a bodybuilder or an athlete (yet) just trying to increase my fitness and improve my body composition slowly, safely and effectively.

The only thing I can say that I know for a fact is the basics. Nutrition, exercise, hard work and improvement over time is the right way. Fad diets and crappy daytime tv advertised "lose 50 pounds in 5 weeks" or "GET RIPPED IN 28 DAYS" routines are more often than not the wrong way to go.

I have been successful in my methods and hit my goals so far, and now I'm on the search for more information. Care to share any, or just want to tell me how much I fail? To be honest I'm happy with either response!

firstly, well done on getting accepted into the air force.

I did not mean to be rude or negative, I found your responses childish and annoying, so apologies.

I was at a high level of sport in cycling a couple of years back but major illnesses really got me down (in fact, almost killed me) and about three months I decided to change sports to move into power-lifting. It will take me a few years to become good, but I am on the right track at the moment.

You have the right attitude. However, the thing you'll learn if you compete to a high level is this; EVERYBODY else wants to win (or be faster, stronger or bigger) in that world and the only thing you can do is this:

1) train hard. I want you to say the first word quickly and really shout the second word. I used to go out every day, hours at a time, put on the heart rate monitor and stick to tough plans. If this meant interval training at 95 %, so be it. Endurance at 75 % for six hours? Fine. My point is this - that was painful. You're not tired, but exhausted and almost shedding tears in pain and gasping for breath. You know what? That still doesn't make you win. EVERYONE else at that level is doing the same. The only way to win is to go over that level - i.e. during a race ride so hard you collapse - rather sadly for me, I was unable to do this so didn't get to be numero uno. However, that was a valuable lesson for sport. It is hard to describe to others who have not experienced - this isn't a case of revision where working hard makes you great. Working hard means you are average, at best, in sport. You want to be good? Feel the most pain you can handle, because I promise that is what you're competitor will do.

2) Research thoroughly the diets of the top people. Follow them This one is self explanatory.

3) Find an expert coach int he sport. Do not ask him for a beginner's program. Ask him how the top people train. You should now train like this. Every single day. Weight omitted, if they do 200 squats [they don't btw] then you'll also do 200 squats.

That is my advice basically. After you obtain these things, there isn't anything but to do it, then afterwards you have your goals to aim for, good luck!
(edited 12 years ago)
This is the best money I have ever spent....feels fine to hang off and do pull ups...beat invention ever! Only thing is the rubber sponge pads you hold onto move around slightly so you feel like you will slip....buy buy buy....this is amazing 😃 so easy to put together after figuring the instructions out...
hope you buy one soon abbey

Quick Reply

Latest