The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Cambridge still run an exchange program with MIT for the whole 2nd year. Would be brilliant to do that I think.
Original post by Psychotic546
Cambridge still run an exchange program with MIT for the whole 2nd year. Would be brilliant to do that I think.

That exchange has been dropped for almost all subjects (including Economics) due to funding cuts. I think it only remains for Engineering due to external funding from BP.
Original post by alex_hk90
That exchange has been dropped for almost all subjects (including Economics) due to funding cuts. I think it only remains for Engineering due to external funding from BP.

That's what I thought because it says that on the website but at the open day one of the Fellows said it was running still?
^Yeah the lecturer who did the talk yesterday mentioned it specifically.
Original post by Psychotic546
That's what I thought because it says that on the website but at the open day one of the Fellows said it was running still?

Original post by internetstephen

Hmm, maybe they've secured funding for it since I last heard? Or maybe the lecturer hadn't heard it had been cut? :dontknow: If you really want to know your best bet is to email the Faculty.
Reply 1165
Original post by internetstephen

That's what I thought... It sounds like an amazing opportunity.
Reply 1166
It's a shame none of the colleges I like do the TSA. I wanted to do an additional test! Pembroke offers one I think, though. :u:
Original post by Groat
It's a shame none of the colleges I like do the TSA. I wanted to do an additional test! Pembroke offers one I think, though. :u:

They offer a college-specific additional test, yes. :smile: The TSA was dropped due to lack of correlation to Tripos performance.
Reply 1168
They offer a college-specific additional test, yes. :smile: The TSA was dropped due to lack of correlation to Tripos performance.

How many Economics undergraduates do they admit per year on average? I remember you saying that was only one person going from 2nd to 3rd year!
Original post by Groat
How many Economics undergraduates do they admit per year on average? I remember you saying that was only one person going from 2nd to 3rd year!

There was only one male person going from 2nd to 3rd year. It's 4 or 5 a year generally. :smile:
Reply 1170
There was only one male person going from 2nd to 3rd year. It's 4 or 5 a year generally. :smile:

Phew. I thought I had removed colleges with one Economics student from my shortlist.

Does anyone have any opinions on Durham's course?
Reply 1171

How efficient would you say the pooling system is? I really like Pembroke and Emma but I'm worried that because they only admit 4-6 students it might be too much of a risk for me (compared to say trinity which admits around 14)
Original post by Tateco
How efficient would you say the pooling system is? I really like Pembroke and Emma but I'm worried that because they only admit 4-6 students it might be too much of a risk for me (compared to say trinity which admits around 14)

I think the pooling system is quite efficient, but it sounds like you're making a big mistake if you think Trinity will be easier to get into because they accept 14 students. Trinity is extremely competitive because of their name and international reputation, if anything it would probably be harder to get an offer than at Pembroke or Emma. I know Pembroke generally do pool a few students (and I would guess Emma do as well but I don't know for sure) so you have a reasonable second chance if you apply there. :smile:
Reply 1173
Original post by Groat
You may find this interesting.

In my opinion you should just apply to a college you like. :u:

23 pool offers were made, and 3 of those applied to Trinity. Interpret that as you wish.

I've seen that before and couldn't remember where I found it, cheers :smile:
Reply 1174
You've just won the lottery (£25mil)... would you still do an economics degree?
Reply 1175
Original post by Tateco

Yes actually, I would. I'd finish what I started and get a job. Although not at the most competetive places but somewhere more relaxed and flexible. Other than the money, working means I'd get to go to lots of interesting places and meet interesting people. So, why not?!
Original post by Tateco

Hell yea! I'd use that money to afford to study at Harvard or something like that. Would you? :biggrin:
Reply 1177
Original post by nightmare91
Hell yea! I'd use that money to afford to study at Harvard or something like that. Would you? :biggrin:

Original post by zxh800
Yes actually, I would. I'd finish what I started and get a job. Although not at the most competetive places but somewhere more relaxed and flexible. Other than the money, working means I'd get to go to lots of interesting places and meet interesting people. So, why not?!

Good answers :tongue: I think I'd probably go the whole way and just buy myself into PhDs and stuff and then get an interesting (wouldn't care what the pay was) job actually working within economics :smile:

EDIT: I'd also buy a town house in Knightsbridge :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Tateco

Yes, as uni life for three years is amazing. :h: And if I had an unlimited budget I could've thrown some epic parties. :awesome:
Reply 1179
Yes, as uni life for three years is amazing. :h: And if I had an unlimited budget I could've thrown some epic parties. :awesome:

Good point :tongue:

Could even try upgrade to the luxury uni accommodation if I was feeling particularly lavish.

Latest

Trending

Trending