The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tateco
Everyone post their predicted grades for AS and A2, their subjects and their university choices in this format: (if you want to be added to the list)

AS Grades: AAAA (in sig)
Subjects: History, Chemistry, FM, Maths, Economics
Chemistry being dropped for A level and I'm doing FM AS and A level next year.
Uni choices: Cambridge (Christ's), LSE, Warwick, Nottingham and unsure on 5th.
I'd imagine with that you'd be looking at Exeter/ York/ Nottingham calibre of uni. What do you imagine you'll have at A level?

AAA
And possibly an A* in Maths
Reply 1582
Original post by dsinghdahiya257
AAA

Southampton, Manchester, Bristol, Bath (latter two would be risky for you)
Original post by Tateco
Southampton, Manchester, Bristol, Bath (latter two would be risky for you)

In which way would they be risky?

And is Manchester a respected University for Economics?
Reply 1584
In which way would they be risky?

And is Manchester a respected University for Economics?

Bristol has a strange admissions system which is very unpredictable (hard to tell if you are likely to get an offer) and Bath is very competitive and prefers straight As at AS (that's what the trend seems to be anyway)

Oh and yes, Manchester is generally respectable as a university, not sure about the economics department in particular. I'd rather go to York, Southampton, Birmingham etc over Manchester (but that's just my opinion)
(edited 12 years ago)
AAA

Yeah I'd suggest those then. Think Bristol is a very risky choice, usually has a LOT of Oxbridge candidates. Bath is a good shout though as is Manchester.
Reply 1586
Original post by Psychotic546
Yeah I'd suggest those then. Think Bristol is a very risky choice, usually has a LOT of Oxbridge candidates. Bath is a good shout though as is Manchester.

I don't know why Bristol is more competitive than Bath, I actually think they're on par, and Bath has the fantastic sandwich scheme where people get onto really top notch placements
On the Bristol open day I spoke to maybe 15 other people, every single person was an oxbridge reject!

Oh and I'm going to Bristol in october if anyone wants to talk :smile:
Reply 1588
Original post by Groat
Emmanuel did say the more mathematically able, the better.

Emma: " We have 6 offer holders for entry in October 2011 and two of those are taking A2 Further Maths. The other four are taking A2 Maths only. "

But yeah obviously having FM isn't going to do any harm, I still wish I took it (might have been able to get 100% in AS Maths then :sexface:)
Reply 1589
Original post by Tateco
Emma: " We have 6 offer holders for entry in October 2011 and two of those are taking A2 Further Maths. The other four are taking A2 Maths only. "

But yeah obviously having FM isn't going to do any harm, I still wish I took it (might have been able to get 100% in AS Maths then :sexface:)

Well, you lost marks on C2, so maybe not. I'm sure you would've aced it, though! I don't want you beating me on that, as well. :sexface:

The Economics course now draws heavily on analytical problem-solving skills, and additional mathematical training, such as A2 Further Maths* or equivalent, can be useful.
Reply 1590
Original post by Groat
Well, you lost marks on C2, so maybe not. I'm sure you would've aced it, though! I don't want you beating me on that, as well. :sexface:

:rofl:

A quote off eh? :holmes: Let's just relax safe in the knowledge that we've smashed the exams and that's all we can do... for now :tongue:
Hello,
I'm 2012 applicant for economics, and I apply for sure to : Oxford, UCL, LSE , and I'm looking for 2 more universities which would be my "backup option" , but still on "good" level... I apply from Poland, so it would be rather good for me to get in some good uni. What are the best 4th and 5th choice universities for Economics or relevant subjects ?
Reply 1592
Hi everyone,

I'm a first year (going on second year) at Cambridge so feel free to toss any questions my way :smile:
Reply 1593
Original post by kermitftw
Hello,
I'm 2012 applicant for economics, and I apply for sure to : Oxford, UCL, LSE , and I'm looking for 2 more universities which would be my "backup option" , but still on "good" level... I apply from Poland, so it would be rather good for me to get in some good uni. What are the best 4th and 5th choice universities for Economics or relevant subjects ?

York is quite popular as a back-up. St. Andrews are still offering AAA if you're interested in going up to Scotland.

Original post by Solaise
Hi everyone,

I'm a first year (going on second year) at Cambridge so feel free to toss any questions my way :smile:

I asked some more Cambridge specific questions in the Cambridge forum, but I have a few more. :colondollar:

Where else did you apply? What's your favourite resource for keeping up to date with economic events?
Reply 1594
Original post by Groat

I asked some more Cambridge specific questions in the Cambridge forum, but I have a few more. :colondollar:

Where else did you apply? What's your favourite resource for keeping up to date with economic events?

I see you've found me again :tongue:

I applied to Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick and Nottingham. My favourite resource for keeping up to date with economic events is the Economist or the business/economy section of the BBC website. Hope this helps!
Original post by Solaise
Hi everyone,

Hi,
I got 4 A*'s at A level in maths, physics, chemistry and economics. With percentages over the whole A level of 94%, 92.5%, 92% and 94% respectively. Without sounding like I am disappointing with my grades I want to know how good these percentiles are compared to Cambridge offer holders. I applied to Selwyn this time round and was rejected.They told me that the average amongst the post A level offer holders in their best 3 A levels were 97%!! The average amongst the AS level offer holders was 93%.

Secondly, Is there any chance you get tell me your GCSE's, AS and A2 UMS's, where you applied and where you got offers from.

On the SAQ, when they asked " Is there anything else you would like us to know ?". What type of information did you put, or did you just use it as an opportunity to bluff more personal statement related stuff.

Much appreciated:smile:
Reply 1596
Hey,

My A-Levels percentages weren't as high as yours; I got 4 As (this was before the advent of the A*), in order to meet the conditions of my conditional offer which was 3 As. However, given that they were not asking for anything above an A, I didn't need to do any better, so it may not be indicative of how your grades compare. My GCSEs were 8A* 3A, and I applied to Cam, LSE, UCL, Warwick and Nottingham, obtaining 5 offers.

Remember though, whatever the average UMS is, it is exactly that: an average. It implies that some applicants with lower grades will have been successful. I think performance in interview is the main determinant of a successful application to Cam; your grades seem fine to me!

As for the SAQ, I remember writing a PS type bit somewhere, but I can't remember where; it was a while ago, I'm afraid. I think the main difference is that it's an opportunity to tailor it to that particular course rather than an economics course in general.

Best of Luck :smile:
Reply 1597
Hey guys, how far in the UCAS process are you? Have you guys completed your PS?
Reply 1598
Just a quick question about Economics at Cambridge and whether I'd get in....I hope to do Actuarial and my PS is tailored to that (which would probably make things difficult) but would I have a chance with these:

GCSEs
3 A*s, 9As, 2Bs (unfortunately only an A in Maths and A in Statistics :frown: )

AS
Chemistry - A (85%)
Geography - A (98%)
General Studies - A (89%)
Economics (Econ 1) - A (91%)
Maths (S1) - A (91%) - have also been reliably getting 90+ in C1/C2, with 96% on both in my mocks (don't take them in Year 12 at my sixth form).
Reply 1599
Original post by Antonton
Hey guys, how far in the UCAS process are you? Have you guys completed your PS?

I think everyone is at different stages! Some have finished it, some are polishing it, some are working on it and some haven't started yet. I don't think you need to be worried whichever stage you are at :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending