The Student Room Group

Student Finance want evidence thats impossible to get

Ok i have indefinate leave on my passport, when i got it i went in person with my application. The student finance sent me a letter asking for a letter from the home office or immigration status document.

I sent them the only piece of paper i receive when i got my indefinate leave but they said its not enough and sent me the same later again. I rang home office to ask for a letter confirming my status and was told they dont send status cofirming letters anymore.

I phoned up student finance again and told them that home office said they cannot send the letter they require to me. The person i spoke to from SF suggested that i contact home office again and beg for the letter. I phoned Home office and this time the lady made it clear that its impossible for them to send the letter and said the visa on my passport should be enough evidence. When i asked her what if SF keep insisting that they need the letter? to which she replied i would need to seek independent legal advice.:eek:

After that i phoned SF again and told them that its impossible for the home office to send me that letter. Just as i thought SF kept on insisting that they still need that letter or they wont process my application. wtf. Dont my passport confirm my status? Its really silly and annoying. Looks like legal advice might be the only way.
It pisses me off, my university place is confirmed and everything but now i might not even go:frown:

ps i applied for student finance two months ago
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

That's weird cos I got the same kind of visa as you but they never asked me to send immigration document. I only have problem because my passport is out of date so I got to renew it first before sending it back to them but everythign seems fine so far. I know, SFE is soo stupid. Surely if they don't askf or it form me then they shouldn't ask from you. My VISA is the same; Indefinite Leave to Remain. How about asking them why they need it cos you know someone (me) who has exactly the same kind of VISA but never got asked for it? That's soo weird.

You will go to uni. The first set of tuition fee is paid in February, everything about your finance should be sorted by then. Get legal advice maybe? Sorry, I am clueless.
Reply 2
thanks hopefully i do go, i was worried the university might kick me off. I know they are so stupid, im suprised how they refused to count my passport and visa as evidence. Maybe i was unlucky or they have different people proccessing our applications.
Original post by TheGodfather1
thanks hopefully i do go, i was worried the university might kick me off. I know they are so stupid, im suprised how they refused to count my passport and visa as evidence. Maybe i was unlucky or they have different people proccessing our applications.

The only problem might be that you will get your grants and loans to help with living costs pretty late and many unis wants money for accommodation at the beginning of each term. So yeah, make sure you have enough money for it in case SF hasnot finishe dprocessing your application. They have nto don emine either but they know I need to wait fo rmy renewed passport. :smile:
Reply 4
at least you know your finance is coming. I have really had it with them to be honests, im gonna call them one more time and if its not ressolved im filing a complaint, surely im ill treated. Will update this with what happens
OMG! I have the exact same problem with student finance! They want some stupid letter from the home office which the home office will not bloody produce. Have called these people over 20 times and I have realised they are all soooooooo stupid! Clearly people who have never gone to school. What am I to do :angry: ? I have indefinite leave as well
Reply 6
they LOVE to ask for the impossible
Reply 7
just one quick stupid question what does they actually want when they ask for Immigration Status Document ? Wouldn't your indefinate leave be your ISD already?

well i guess the quickest way for you to do is to seek legal advice
Original post by lala00

Original post by lala00
just one quick stupid question what does they actually want when they ask for Immigration Status Document ? Wouldn't your indefinate leave be your ISD already?

When they ask for an immigration status document in most cases that's when your father or guardian are given a status document stating they have refugee status. However you may not have that and so your Visa should be enough. However Student Finance are stupid and do not know what a visa is :angry:
Reply 9
Original post by lala00

It should be and the Home Office told me that on the phone but student finance wants Home Office to send a letter saying this person has an indefinite leave when its on the frickin passport. Its really damn annoying not mention everytime you call you speak with a different person which means you have to explain all over again :angry:. I filed a complaint last week anyway, will see what happens
Reply 10
Original post by The big chiefa

[QUOTE="chiefa;33712514" The="The" big="big"]When they ask for an immigration status document in most cases that's when your father or guardian are given a status document stating they have refugee status. However you may not have that and so your Visa should be enough. However Student Finance are stupid and do not know what a visa is :angry:[/QUOTE

im in the same situation now im having to appeal but i showed them the necessary documents and im eligible
[QUOTE="paul;33989555" tino="tino"]
Original post by The big chiefa
When they ask for an immigration status document in most cases that's when your father or guardian are given a status document stating they have refugee status. However you may not have that and so your Visa should be enough. However Student Finance are stupid and do not know what a visa is :angry:[/QUOTE

im in the same situation now im having to appeal but i showed them the necessary documents and im eligible

how i you appealing? independent legal advice?
Reply 12
Original post by TheGodfather1
Ok i have indefinate leave on my passport, when i got it i went in person with my application. The student finance sent me a letter asking for a letter from the home office or immigration status document.

I sent them the only piece of paper i receive when i got my indefinate leave but they said its not enough and sent me the same later again. I rang home office to ask for a letter confirming my status and was told they dont send status cofirming letters anymore.

I phoned up student finance again and told them that home office said they cannot send the letter they require to me. The person i spoke to from SF suggested that i contact home office again and beg for the letter. I phoned Home office and this time the lady made it clear that its impossible for them to send the letter and said the visa on my passport should be enough evidence. When i asked her what if SF keep insisting that they need the letter? to which she replied i would need to seek independent legal advice.:eek:

After that i phoned SF again and told them that its impossible for the home office to send me that letter. Just as i thought SF kept on insisting that they still need that letter or they wont process my application. wtf. Dont my passport confirm my status? Its really silly and annoying. Looks like legal advice might be the only way.
It pisses me off, my university place is confirmed and everything but now i might not even go:frown:

ps i applied for student finance two months ago

hi i am in the same situatioin please help me,
did u get your case resolved and did you get the loan and allowance you are entitled to? please reply as soon as possible thanks
Reply 13
hi guys,
please help me out here i have exactly the same circumstances as you all.i need some guidace with how you all dealt and resolved this issue. any help will be highly appreciated,
thank you,
Original post by dann89
hi guys,
please help me out here i have exactly the same circumstances as you all.i need some guidace with how you all dealt and resolved this issue. any help will be highly appreciated,
thank you,

I had a different situation, but the evidence was still quite impossible for me to get as well. The way I sorted it was to consult the citizen's advice bureau. They should be a first port of call. If not, then speak to the international office or finance office at your university.
Reply 15
I was going to say, the finance officer at your university will probably speak to student finance on your behalf if you ask. They'll maybe be able to talk some sense into them....
Reply 16
i'm in the same position with student finance ive got my indefinate leave to remain but they wont clear my loan. Has anyone resolved the problem so far or can advice me on what to do..pls
Reply 17
Hie guys, how did you solve this problem, am in the same situation now pllzzzzz helppp if you can
ask to get your problem sent to the resolve team!!
Reply 19
I did ask to be chekd again but the resolve team still sent me the same massege saying that they will nt proccess my application as my passport has expirEd even though I have ILR stamped in my passport. They then told me to ring the Home office again an beg for a letter bt as I expected the home office said they do not send letters to comfirm that I hav Indefinate to remain if I already hav it stampd in my passport, they said that should b enough evidencebt Student finace still will not accept it. If any of u guys soted this problem"PLZ HOW YOU SORTED IT"

Latest

Trending

Trending