The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1720
Original post by DylanLJG
Hey,

So I got AAAA in my results, but low UMS (see sig). This has put me off Cambridge and LSE as well as seeing everyone's brilliant results on here, I'm so jealous. I'll apply anyway on a hope that I might do amazing in the interview and TSA.

Anyway thinking of applying to Cambridge (King's), Warwick, Durham, Notts and Bath. Do you think I need a better backup in there somewhere? And if so can anyone recommend one to me?

Low? Your Maths UMS is marginally below mine, and that's arguably the most important. :s-smilie:
Original post by Groat
Low? Your Maths UMS is marginally below mine, and that's arguably the most important. :s-smilie:

Yeah, but I was expecting alot higher in Economics and Geography. My UMS average isn't even in the 90's so I'd count it as low.
Original post by Tateco
Do you think I should make a "am I good enough for these universities thread?", otherwise this thread might turn away from discussion between applicants into a help centre thread?

Nah it's fine in here. There aren't that many people and we're all just asking each other in the end.
Reply 1723
Original post by Tateco
I like to think of it as what's the point of getting more than 2 offers that you're happy with? Go for the dream or you'll be thinking what-if when you get all 5 offers! You need at least 1 rejection to know your limit :smile:

I agree, having a sense of regret for not being ambitious enough is definitely not what I want. Btw, sorry if I was ambiguous in my opening post - but would you regard the likes of Bath and Warwick as 'dream' universities given my grades - or are you referring the unis right at the top?
Reply 1724
Yeah, but I was expecting alot higher in Economics and Geography. My UMS average isn't even in the 90's so I'd count it as low.

True, but you know that every applicant will have Maths at AS Level, and your UMS are very competitive in that respect. You should still apply to Cambridge my opinion, as you should get an interview and then be able to impress them there. Which college were you thinking?

It's your call on LSE. There's no interview to impress them, but a good PS could push you towards an offer!
Reply 1725
Original post by HSethi
I agree, having a sense of regret for not being ambitious enough is definitely not what I want. Btw, sorry if I was ambiguous in my opening post - but would you regard the likes of Bath and Warwick as 'dream' universities given my grades - or are you referring the unis right at the top?

I would consider Warwick as dream for anyone, it is right at the top and very competitive.

Bath I only would consider dream for you because seeing past successful applicants they seem to like AAAA at AS, but that's just an observation. I really like Bath, they are the only top uni to offer the sandwich placement
Original post by Groat
True, but you know that every applicant will have Maths at AS Level, and your UMS are very competitive in that respect. You should still apply to Cambridge my opinion, as you should get an interview and then be able to impress them there. Which college were you thinking?

It's your call on LSE. There's no interview to impress them, but a good PS could push you towards an offer!

King's, looked amazing on the open day. They do the TSA so I might be able to impress if I do well on it.

I don't think my PS is that good. I think I'm the only person in the country who hasn't got enough to say, I'm too concise. Might both Cambridge and LSE be too risky?
King's, looked amazing on the open day. They do the TSA so I might be able to impress if I do well on it.

I don't think my PS is that good. I think I'm the only person in the country who hasn't got enough to say, I'm too concise. Might both Cambridge and LSE be too risky?

The PS helpers on here are really good I'm sure they could help.
Reply 1728

Hm, being concise is good. If you're struggling for content, do more further reading? Have you shown the PS helpers here? :u:

Ah, yes, if you're good at the TSA it'll be a good choice.

It really depends on personal circumstances and feelings. I'm prepared to be very risky and apply to A*AA for all my universities. However, someone else may only want a few ambitious choices - but, Cambridge and LSE would still be fine, in my opinion.
Original post by Psychotic546
The PS helpers on here are really good I'm sure they could help.

Original post by Groat
Hm, being concise is good. If you're struggling for content, do more further reading? Have you shown the PS helpers here? :u:

Ah, yes, if you're good at the TSA it'll be a good choice.

It really depends on personal circumstances and feelings. I'm prepared to be very risky and apply to A*AA for all my universities. However, someone else may only want a few ambitious choices - but, Cambridge and LSE would still be fine, in my opinion.

Thanks,

Yeah, I'll do that when my PS is finished. Still reading Globalisation and its Discontents at the moment. When I've completed it I think I might just have enough. My PS is quite focused on development economics.
Thanks,

Yeah, I'll do that when my PS is finished. Still reading Globalisation and its Discontents at the moment. When I've completed it I think I might just have enough. My PS is quite focused on development economics.

Same. It's a really good book isn't it :smile:
Original post by Psychotic546
Same. It's a really good book isn't it :smile:

Yeah, nearly finished it. Quite interesting, but the guy really has something against the IMF. :rolleyes:
Yeah, nearly finished it. Quite interesting, but the guy really has something against the IMF. :rolleyes:

I know! It's the main theme of the book really, can't help thinking he should have chosen a different title :redface:
Reply 1733
ABBC

Looking to retake 2 AS exams with A2 predictions at AAA/A*AA

Definately applying to AAB unis, but are these grades good enough for Warwick/Nottingham?
Reply 1734
Original post by Tateco
I would consider Warwick as dream for anyone, it is right at the top and very competitive.

Bath I only would consider dream for you because seeing past successful applicants they seem to like AAAA at AS, but that's just an observation. I really like Bath, they are the only top uni to offer the sandwich placement

Yup, I really like Bath too - the sandwich placement is really appealing. Out of interest, does anyone know if any other universities a year/semester abroad in Economics? I think I'd quite like the opportunity to do that if I could.
Reply 1735
Original post by HSethi
Yup, I really like Bath too - the sandwich placement is really appealing. Out of interest, does anyone know if any other universities a year/semester abroad in Economics? I think I'd quite like the opportunity to do that if I could.

Pretty sure Warwick does and I know for a fact UCL does,you're best off asking the people who want to do a year abroad as they will know more about it
I've just noticed...most of the subjects bar maths you guys are taking are arts...

...I think I've taken too many sciences...
Reply 1737
Original post by perrytheplatypus
I've just noticed...most of the subjects bar maths you guys are taking are arts...

Doesn't matter aslong as you got high UMS (which is easier in science subjects imho) :colondollar:
Reply 1738
Original post by Tateco
Pretty sure Warwick does and I know for a fact UCL does,you're best off asking the people who want to do a year abroad as they will know more about it

Yeh, I know UCL do the year abroad programme to some unis in North America, but in the open day they said their allocation was really small - I think they were proposing something like 8 places this year. I've heard about the Erasmus scheme most unis are involved in, but it's only something to think about properly after the first year of uni, no point really before then from what i've seen. From the looks of it very few unis offer a formal programme like UCL then.
Reply 1739
Original post by zxh800
Doesn't matter aslong as you got high UMS (which is easier in science subjects imho) :colondollar:

The whole point of UMS is it's not easier in any subject :tongue: It's 'easy' to get high UMS in subjects you are good at. Yes it may be more difficult to get 100% raw marks in arts but raw marks mean nothing for comparison!

Original post by perrytheplatypus

I took all sciences (other than economics) and I don't think it's a problem in the slightest :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending