The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1820
Original post by economyst
My main concern is whether I will get 5 rejections again or not. Looking at my grades I know I sound silly saying that, but my GCSE's are very poor and I have also applied to Warwick, Cambridge and LSE before and got rejected.

Bath is a competitive place and even with my grades I don't think I am guaranteed an offer there.

York, to me, seems like a place where I should be guaranteed an offer. But if they reject me because they think I will reject them, then I am left with 4 risky ones again.

Does any one think this is a good idea to avoid 5 rejections:
Apply Cam and LSE
Wait for Cam dead line to pass
Apply York and Bath
If Cam and/or LSE accept, then accept them giving preference to Cam.
If Cam and LSE reject me but bath accepts me, then apply to Warwick for econ, as if I don't get into Warwick I will have bath as back up.
If Cam, LSE and Bath reject me, Then apply for maths and econ at Warwick, because I think I am (almost) guaranteed their A*A*A (M,FM) STEP:2 offer.
And I am assuming York will accept me.

:lolwut: What happened to just submitting your application normally...
Reply 1821
Original post by perrytheplatypus
:lies:

...I'm joking, is UCLs economics course very maths related, or more essay?

Seems like you can decide by the modules you choose, but I believe the first year has quite a bit of Maths in...
Tried that last yer and got 5 rejections.
What do people think about my strategy ?
Econmyst, if your grades are absolutly stellar, I'm pretty sure the universities will be able to guess you're applying for cambridge, I don't see the point in applying like that. Maybe it was just your personal statement?

Original post by Tateco
Seems like you can decide by the modules you choose, but I believe the first year has quite a bit of Maths in...

that's good...I may just apply there...
My A levels are "stellar", GCSE's are embarrassing.

The point in applying like this is that I can guarantee and offer.
If I apply for Cam, LSE, War, Bath and York straight away. The first 4 might reject me simply due to the competition. And there is a possibility that York rejects me because they think I won't accept them.
Applying with the method above ensures that at the very least I get an offer for maths and econ from Warwick. I can then go in and hopefully switch to the econ course early, if not, then maths and econ from Warwick is a good degree right ?
Reply 1826
?

We are 2012 applicants, we know less about it than you, you have already been through it once, why don't you ask the question in your own thread then you might get a meaningful reply instead of us guessing?
4 A* your PS must've been poor.
What do you lot want to do when u finish ur economics degree (sorry random question) cos that may influence ur uni choices
I am not directing the question at anyone in particular, if you don't have the experience to answer it then don't. There are some people on here though that are grads like Alex and others that do have experience, and some people on here are those that got 5 rejections last year, so they will have experience.
Would you like me to stop posting for advice on here ?
Original post by -Illmatic-
4 A* your PS must've been poor.

No, I applied with AS grades, I only got my A2's last week.
My A levels are "stellar", GCSE's are embarrassing.

The point in applying like this is that I can guarantee and offer.
If I apply for Cam, LSE, War, Bath and York straight away. The first 4 might reject me simply due to the competition. And there is a possibility that York rejects me because they think I won't accept them.
Applying with the method above ensures that at the very least I get an offer for maths and econ from Warwick. I can then go in and hopefully switch to the econ course early, if not, then maths and econ from Warwick is a good degree right ?

Believe me, it is better than having it the other way round, i.e. good GCSEs, not so good A Levels
You are correct, but its still not as good as having stellar GCSE's and A levels.
No, I applied with AS grades, I only got my A2's last week.

What went wrong do you think with regards to your PS?
Hmm, so should I apply to Cambridge and one other like LSE, wait for the Cam dead line to pass and then add the rest of my choices ?
Does anyone know whether that is even possible ?

Yes it is possible and strongly recommend it. I suggest you should apply for LSE well past Oxbridge deadline too.
Original post by Tomatochuckers
What do you lot want to do when u finish ur economics degree (sorry random question) cos that may influence ur uni choices

Not go into banking :holmes:
What went wrong do you think with regards to your PS?

It was a book review. Further, I basically picked things from the Cambridge's first year syllabus and said I loved them. It always explicitly mentioned my passion for economics, never implied it.
Original post by Dumb Economist
Yes it is possible and strongly recommend it. I suggest you should apply for LSE well past Oxbridge deadline too.

Hmm, I was quite sure I could send my UCAS application of with two uni's then add the rest on later. I didn't know you could send it off with just 1. If I can, then I will apply to LSE later, at the same time I apply to bath and York.
Do you think end of October is OK ? Cam deadline is 15th Oct.
It was a book review. Further, I basically picked things from the Cambridge's first year syllabus and said I loved them.

Why would you do that? Isn't the first year syllabus textbooks rather than pop. econ books? That would possibly explain your rejection...

It always explicitly mentioned my passion for economics, never implied it.

What do you mean by that?
Not go into banking :holmes:

Cool. I see you like Nas
Why would you do that? Isn't the first year syllabus textbooks rather than pop. econ books? That would possibly explain your rejection...

What do you mean by that?

I have to admit I was quite uneducated about the whole UCAS thing and what the actual purpose of the PS was. So I just tried to seem like I liked economics by telling them I read lots of books. and commenting on them

What I mean is that it had a lot of "I love econ", "My passion for econ is displayed by...", "I am a dedicated talented student of econ" where as the PS should show all those things without actually mentioning them.

Latest

Trending

Trending