The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

New student-TU100 October 2011.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by robbierobot
As posted above the link takes you to further information about the course we are all embarking on.

If you haven't already done it click on the 'Sense' link which takes you to another page.

Click on the 'sense installation' link where there is a short video (with loud annoying music) showing a student taking the senseboard out of its packaging and looking at it.

It lets us get a closer look at the thing.

Cheers.

Completely overlooked that link! :redface: Cheers Rob! :smile:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by BigBadBazza
Completely overlooked that link! :redface: Cheers Rob! :smile:

No probs Barry
Yet another link to the senseboard and a video (think we have seen that one)

'http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2011/06/hands-on-learning-with-the-senseboard-ubiquitous-computing-device.html'

And Barry, it refers to an American mag called 'Make' about making Technology which may interest you.

Cheers
Yet another link for your interest.

http://robomods.co.uk/blog/?p=450

Talks about an upgraded version of the senseboard, an 'Arduino'.

Cheers
Reply 44
Original post by robbierobot
Yet another link for your interest.

http://robomods.co.uk/blog/?p=450

Talks about an upgraded version of the senseboard, an 'Arduino'.

Cheers

Cheers Rob! Keep the links coming mate! Got work in a few hours so will give me something to read during my lunch break :smile:
hi all

i am also going to start this in october and I'm just as excitied as the rest of you and nervous but i think a positive outlook makes things a little easier and help from your peers also helps so if i can help any one at any time i will and hope to get much of the same in return
Original post by darkwolfle4
hi all

i am also going to start this in october and I'm just as excitied as the rest of you and nervous but i think a positive outlook makes things a little easier and help from your peers also helps so if i can help any one at any time i will and hope to get much of the same in return

Hi
Yes, we are all quite excited particularly as this is a brand new course that no-one has taken before.
It should all kick off next month when the senseboard and the learning materials turn up ready for the October start.
Cheers
Reply 47
Hi all,

I'm also starting TU100 in October. I'm really looking forward to it, it'll be nice to start heading in the right direction after a few years going nowhere. Can't wait to check out the SenseBoard and see what I can make it do.

Ed.
Reply 48
Hey guys

Just joined I'm also doing the TU100 course. I've been in Computing all my life but never got the certificates and all that paperwork! lol Learned everything through lots of hard work in the real-world jobs. lol!

I'm hoping to finally get a degree under my belt to help me find work (you know how many time's I've lost out on a job, which I was perfect for and could do in my sleep!, just because i didn't have a Degree to my name! urgh!!)

Anyhoo can't wait for the challenge! and to get my hands on the kit ^_^
Reply 49
Original post by EFJO
Hi all,

I'm also starting TU100 in October. I'm really looking forward to it, it'll be nice to start heading in the right direction after a few years going nowhere. Can't wait to check out the SenseBoard and see what I can make it do.

Ed.

Hi Ed, welcome aboard dude! Glad to hear you're doing something positive :smile: make sure you check out the links posted in this thread, some interesting stuff. All the best in your studies mate and feel free to keep in touch.
Reply 50
Original post by s0litaire
Hey guys

Just joined I'm also doing the TU100 course. I've been in Computing all my life but never got the certificates and all that paperwork! lol Learned everything through lots of hard work in the real-world jobs. lol!

I'm hoping to finally get a degree under my belt to help me find work (you know how many time's I've lost out on a job, which I was perfect for and could do in my sleep!, just because i didn't have a Degree to my name! urgh!!)

Anyhoo can't wait for the challenge! and to get my hands on the kit ^_^

Howdy pal, welcome aboard :smile: Although not in the IT field, I know what it's like to get overlooked at work due to the lack of qualifications... even though I was quite obviously the best (in my opinion! :smile:) person for the job.

Really good to see everyone's looking forward to the course, think we all can't wait to get started! Feel free to keep in touch and all the best for you're studies!
Reply 51
Hey Everyone,
Just put my name on the waiting list for this today (I know im late). Really hoping to get in for October although I'm sure I'll have to wait until Feb. It looks like a great course. I'm just wondering if anyone else has been wait-listed and successful, and if so how long did it take?
Reply 52
Hi Everyone

I am also starting TU100 in October. I am really looking forward to it and can't wait for it to start. I have also signed up for MT 264, which will no doubt put the pressure on me as I have read it is hard work, but hopefully I can pick things up quickly and organise myself properly.

I have no previous experience in IT and Computing courses and have kind of self taught myself the past 10 years, and my ever increasing enthusiasm for working in the Computing industry has got me to sign up for these courses. I am very interested in programming and have managed to set up some macros on excel for a few programs I have developed and thought the next natural step was to join a course to progress further.

I was working as a Staff Nurse until the beginning of the year when I left to look after my 3 young girls, who are 3, 2, and nearly 1. I have been thinking of a career change for a while now so this is the perfect time when I am at home for some distanct learning to see whether my computing 'hobbie' is strong enough to get a career in the field.

I look forward to chatting with everyone in the next year.

Sorry for my essay above! lol

Gemma:smile:

Original post by gmckinley
Hi Everyone

I am also starting TU100 in October. I am really looking forward to it and can't wait for it to start. I have also signed up for MT 264, which will no doubt put the pressure on me as I have read it is hard work, but hopefully I can pick things up quickly and organise myself properly.

I have no previous experience in IT and Computing courses and have kind of self taught myself the past 10 years, and my ever increasing enthusiasm for working in the Computing industry has got me to sign up for these courses. I am very interested in programming and have managed to set up some macros on excel for a few programs I have developed and thought the next natural step was to join a course to progress further.

I was working as a Staff Nurse until the beginning of the year when I left to look after my 3 young girls, who are 3, 2, and nearly 1. I have been thinking of a career change for a while now so this is the perfect time when I am at home for some distanct learning to see whether my computing 'hobbie' is strong enough to get a career in the field.

Hi Gemma
Welcome to the group that Barry has started, New Student TU100.
Like you I am self-taught and would like to have a IT job.
I've also got two little bundles of joy, two boys 3 and 2 years old who run me ragged but its all worth it for them.
Hope you enjoy chatting to all of us in this forum.
If you haven't already look at the links in the previous threads that lead to some additional info on the course we are taking and the Senseboard.
Cheers
Rob
Reply 54
Original post by sarahsmurf
Hey Everyone,
Just put my name on the waiting list for this today (I know im late). Really hoping to get in for October although I'm sure I'll have to wait until Feb. It looks like a great course. I'm just wondering if anyone else has been wait-listed and successful, and if so how long did it take?

I applied at the start of June and got funding sorted out at the end of July, I got into the October slot (I was really slow in getting all the forms back to them!). Think you should be in with a good chance of an Oct. slot unless they are REALLY over subscribed.
Original post by s0litaire
I applied at the start of June and got funding sorted out at the end of July, I got into the October slot (I was really slow in getting all the forms back to them!). Think you should be in with a good chance of an Oct. slot unless they are REALLY over subscribed.

When I applied I was told that the limited allocation did not apply to Scotland or N.I.
Hope this means that everybody who wants to start in October will be able.
Of course rules do change dependant upon numbers but the more happy friendly faces on this forum the better
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 56
Hi all,
Also starting TU100 in October. Made a thread myself around 2 months ago but didn't get much of a response, must have been a bit too early!

I am also excited to get going as the course looks very interesting, and it has been a few years since I studied. I dropped out of my A-Levels early a few years ago and have been in work ever since.

Happy to be in touch with anyone when the course gets going, so get in contact for any reason.

Dan
:biggrin:
Reply 57
Hi everyone.
I'm starting TU100 in Oct and really looking forward to it. I was doing CIMA by home study but i've had to put that on hold at the moment.

I'm happy to keep in touch too Dan :smile:

Alison
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by sarahsmurf
Hey Everyone,

Hi Sarah,
Welcome! :smile: I should imagine the waiting list will run until 08/09/2011 or there abouts, as that is when the deadline for registration is for the Oct presentation of this course. Hopefully you get on! I haven't had any experience of being on a waiting list myself, but assume you could still get on as there may be people who are provisionally booked on but may not complete registration for whatever reason.

Either way, do let us know how you get on :smile: If you don't make it for Oct I'll be happy to give you an in depth review of the course! Best of luck with your studies!
Reply 59
Original post by gmckinley
Hi Everyone

Hi Gemma,
Welcome aboard! :smile: I am also hoping my interest in all things technology is strong enough to create a career in it. Keep in touch and let us know how you fiond the course, best of luck with your studies! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest