The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2480
Original post by nightmare91
Well, I'll try to keep myself up to date with current events (really difficult finding time to read newspaper when you have lots to do for school) and re-read my PS several times. At Oxford tutors like to ask questions on your PS I heard. So I will try to somehow imagine what questions he could ask me :tongue:. My school doesn't offer something like mock interviews :frown:

I'd advise you to try it with someone you don't really know or know at all since you won't really know the interviewer. :smile:
Original post by StarChamber
Can always ask a parent/teach/older pupil. I'll be trying to help out a couple of guys from my old school. Its always worth the practice :smile: Could Skype interviews work?

Don't really know someone here who could interview me in English :tongue: But that is REALLY nice of you helping out guys from your old school :smile:
Skype interviews could work :smile:
Original post by Hemzo
I'd advise you to try it with someone you don't really know or know at all since you won't really know the interviewer. :smile:

Oh that is probably true. I think I wouldn't take any relative/friend or teacher that serious. Also they just know me too well, and I know them too well. :smile:
Reply 2483
This summer has been pretty good for me. Went over all my economics and finished C3 yesterday evening.

I have a feeling this year will be a good one for me. Just have to hope it's true :tongue:
Reply 2484
I'm back :smile: How is everyone?
Original post by Tateco

All good. Debating mode has faded, though :tongue:
Original post by Tateco

Good so far. Has school started for you already? :u:
Reply 2487
Original post by -Illmatic-
All good. Debating mode has faded, though :tongue:

Oh. I thought that might actually work :tongue:

Good so far. Has school started for you already? :u:

Not yet, tomorrow :tongue: I was looking forward to going back but being out for the last 3 days has hit me and I'm a little tired :wink:
Reply 2488
Totally agree. The reasons why the euro is failing is the lack of a common political ideology. And as far as I have seen, this is not going to change in the near future.

Furthermore, in 2001 when Greece joined the eurozone, Germany had a voting whether Greece should be accepted; whether it makes sense to share a currency with a country which is economically much smaller than the rest of the zone. Germany's back then left-wing government voted for Greece joining the euro. Two weeks ago it was revealed by the German Financial Times that they knew about Greece faking their balances and stats. They still agreed to let them join. Again, this was on a political basis. They wanted them regardless of any economic consequences. There were economics professors here in Germany saying that Greece wouldn't be ready yet; that they should wait another 10 years at least...

Now they have to do everything to keep Greece and the rest alive. I would have let them default and injected billions into other economies like Spain and Italy to prevent a domino effect. But now it is too late. They have to go all the way now, otherwise we'll be in big trouble. The next months will be interesting :smile:

Good reasoning. but I would also argue that once the convergence criteria has been satisfied and said economy is part of the EU, they should be able to sway from it without being penalised if it would be better for the individual economy. This is particularly true for the smaller economies who might be less willing to 'ignore' the rules (like Germany and France did) in fear of hefty fines. It would be better if the diversions from the 'rules' were reviewed in context but obviously this is very difficult to implement.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Tateco
Good reasoning. but I would also argue that once the convergence criteria has been satisfied and said economy is part of the EU, they should be able to sway from it without being penalised if it would be better for the individual economy. This is particularly true for the smaller economies who might be less willing to 'ignore' the rules (like Germany and France did) in fear of hefty fines. It would be better if the diversions from the 'rules' were reviewed in context but obviously this is very difficult to implement.

That is a good point! Today we had a 'test' voting in the German parliament whether the EFSF should be increased. The result was that Mrs. Merkel didn't get enough votes for it... So in a few days they'll have the real voting and I am not sure whether she'll be able to convince the other parties to vote for it.... She didn't even get the votes from her coalition partners... :s-smilie: If they don't increase the EFSF, confidence among investors will continue to decline and everything will get even worse than it already is...
Reply 2490
Sorry if my earlier comment was coming across as arrogant, that certainly wasn't my intention. I'm just eager to stay optimistic (Pointing this out due to all the negs).

To anybody who has completed or nearly completed their personal statement, how many drafts did it take? I'm working on my fourth and I'm still not happy with it :frown: Or would it be best to leave it for a week or two so my brain is fresh when I come back to it?
Original post by Sanjay94
Sorry if my earlier comment was coming across as arrogant, that certainly wasn't my intention. I'm just eager to stay optimistic (Pointing this out due to all the negs).

To anybody who has completed or nearly completed their personal statement, how many drafts did it take? I'm working on my fourth and I'm still not happy with it :frown: Or would it be best to leave it for a week or two so my brain is fresh when I come back to it?

If you're not happy with it, would you consider keeping a few of the bits you're happy with and completely start it again? At the end of the day if you're not happy with it, neither will an admissions tutor. Read some of the examples on TSR it should give you some ideas, but don't plagiarise.

I never counted my drafts tbh but it did take me several weeks. I only worked on it on the weekends though. My advice would be: Leave it for a week and then try to work on it. As you already said, your brain will be fresh and you will have a different view on what you have written so far :smile:
Reply 2493
Yeah I'll leave it for a while. Thanks guys!

I never counted my drafts tbh but it did take me several weeks. I only worked on it on the weekends though. My advice would be: Leave it for a week and then try to work on it. As you already said, your brain will be fresh and you will have a different view on what you have written so far :smile:

I'd also advise to show as many as you possibly can. Different people see different things, which can hugely improve your statement in so many ways!
I finally got my PS to fit the box :awesome:

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to have it checked again, which may spoil the layout -_-
Reply 2496
I'm not sure I like the discussions in these threads. I lose track of when they started with other discussions. Is there any free forum we can set-up for dedicated threads to our debates (I know they'd all get merged or trolled here)?

Also, only The Financial Times could pull of using sexio-economic effect when referring to male dominance in boards of directors. :sexface:
Reply 2497

About 10 drafts I think :smile: But the best thing I did with it was leave it for a month and go back to it. It helped massively.
Original post by Groat

Original post by Groat
I'm not sure I like the discussions in these threads. I lose track of when they started with other discussions. Is there any free forum we can set-up for dedicated threads to our debates (I know they'd all get merged or trolled here)?

Also, only The Financial Times could pull of using sexio-economic effect when referring to male dominance in boards of directors. :sexface:

I think last year an Oxbridge Economics preparation thread was started. I'm not sure, but maybe do something like that...?
Reply 2499
Original post by Groat

I know what you mean, we should probably try and keep this as a chat thread. I'll make a thread for economics discussions/debates in the Economics Academic help sub-forum? (It's the closest we've got at the moment...)

Latest

Trending

Trending