The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2560
Original post by StarChamber
Ah I see, great achievement nonetheless. Again Cambridge will depend upon college. Some do not specify the A*, whereas others do - usually Maths or Economics. Mostly maths though.

Warwick require an A* in Maths usually and if you do FM A*AAA and if you don't A*AA.

The rest will be fine and as I said the offer may even be lower as you do 4 A2's.

I'm pretty sure you can put it down on UCAS. But to be sure email UCAS/exam board(s) or ask your school.

What are your other 3 subjects?

Warwick requires A*AA usually. This must include maths but the A* does not neccessarily have to be in Maths.
Original post by wachno

Original post by wachno
Warwick requires A*AA usually. This must include maths but the A* does not neccessarily have to be in Maths.

I can't think of anyone I know or anyone in last years thread who did not get such an offer (A*AA with A* in maths). Officially you're right but I don't think they do so in practice!
Original post by wachno

Original post by wachno

I can't think of anyone I know or anyone in last years thread who did not get such an offer (A*AA with A* in maths). Officially you're right but I don't think they do so in practice!
Hello everyone,
I'm hoping to apply to read economics starting next september but im struggling on which A levels to carry on with and which to drop. Im definately going to do maths and economics obviously, but its my third choice which is becomming more and more difficult to drop, between english literature and chemistry. On results day i got 4 As and chemistry was my worst mark by about 2% so it's not something i should be using as a distinguishing factor, lets be honest.
I enjoy both subjects equally and ive been predicted the same in both subjects. Im looking to apply to uni like durham bristol warwick york nottingham southampton leeds or bath, so lets say the ones just below oxbridge standard, however with a mixture of bsc and ba's being awarded, i just dont know which subject out of english lit and chemistry would be more suitable. taking all 4 on is out of the question because im fully involved in so many extra curricular activities and i wouldnt want to spread my self too thinly. I'd rather to amazing in 3 than just great in 4 if you get me?

I hope you can all help me make this decision because at the moment its becomming more stressful than my personal statement.
Thanks guys xxxxx
Reply 2564
Original post by cvmurphy1
Hello everyone,
I'm hoping to apply to read economics starting next september but im struggling on which A levels to carry on with and which to drop. Im definately going to do maths and economics obviously, but its my third choice which is becomming more and more difficult to drop, between english literature and chemistry. On results day i got 4 As and chemistry was my worst mark by about 2% so it's not something i should be using as a distinguishing factor, lets be honest.
I enjoy both subjects equally and ive been predicted the same in both subjects. Im looking to apply to uni like durham bristol warwick york nottingham southampton leeds or bath, so lets say the ones just below oxbridge standard, however with a mixture of bsc and ba's being awarded, i just dont know which subject out of english lit and chemistry would be more suitable. taking all 4 on is out of the question because im fully involved in so many extra curricular activities and i wouldnt want to spread my self too thinly. I'd rather to amazing in 3 than just great in 4 if you get me?

I hope you can all help me make this decision because at the moment its becomming more stressful than my personal statement.
Thanks guys xxxxx

I don't think dropping either would be that much of an issue, both are very strong subjects indeed. I am personally doing Maths, Econ and Chemistry and think it is a very good combination, but the combination with Lit is equally as strong. I would personally take the one you think you are more likely to get an A* in.
Reply 2565
Hello everyone,

Thanks guys xxxxx

Take English Literature. There will be plenty of candidates taking Maths, Economics and Physics/Biology/Chemistry/Further Maths. Having an arts subject really adds something to your portfolio.
Original post by Groat
Take English Literature. There will be plenty of candidates taking Maths, Economics and Physics/Biology/Chemistry/Further Maths. Having an arts subject really adds something to your portfolio.

This :smile:
Reply 2567
Original post by StarChamber
No harm in seeing how things turn out. A good interview can swing things around. You're GCSEs are below average but don't worry too much.

Most people are nice enough around here. Not sure about sabotage :ninja: I applied last cycle so I'm going uni this year :h:

Yeah I'm not that worried about my GCSEs tbh, I know people that have gotten in some of my choices with lower grades. Also I exceeded everyones expectations at A Level/AS :biggrin:
I went to a crap secondary, and my GCSEs were above average there, someone from Cambridge came to my college, and said I could get that mentioned in my reference, and it should help :smile:
I know it's no excuse of course.

Don't worry I've changed my perception of you guys! :tongue:
I just saw your profile...ARE YOU SERIOUS?!??!?! CAMBRIDGE??????!!!! :eek:
Well done, that's amazing! which college are you at? :biggrin:
Reply 2568
Original post by Tateco
We're all friendly here :h:

I've retract my previous statement :biggrin:
btw not sure why you got negged, I evened it out :smile:

Original post by -Illmatic-
Another female :sexface:

On a serious note, welcome :hi:

I'm going for 4/5 of your uni combination so we may well end up in the same position next year (assuming all goes well)

:h:

Awesome! :cool:
Which 4? :colondollar:

Good Luck!

YEAHBOI MY FIRST NEG! :banana:

:yeah:
(edited 12 years ago)
Applying to: Oxford, LSE, Warwick, Durham, Bath
GCSEs: 7A*s, 3As (one mark away from and A* in English Lit, the other two are in Drama and Textiles :biggrin:)
AS results: AAAA in Economics, Maths, Further Maths and Physics.
Predicted grades: A*A*A in Maths, F.Maths and Physics respectively as far as I know. No clue about Econ.

I am freaking out now! I know I'm aiming high on unis, but I'm so stupidly stubborn I can't change my own mind. I'm afraid my GCSEs will put me at a disadvantage, especially for Oxford. I know the average student for medicine (nearest competitive course I think) has 70% A*s, but they also take into account how you did relative to the rest of your school, and unfortunately my school has lots of other very clever people :frown:

Good luck to everyone applying! :h:
Reply 2570
What uni's require A* in Maths?
Why the neg? I simply said I'm worried because the way everyone here and the people at school go on about it, I have little chance of getting in anywhere, wherever I apply. I'm not trying to sound superior or obnoxious at all.
Original post by zaina94

Awesome! :cool:
Which 4? :colondollar:

Good Luck!

All but Cambridge :h:

Im not clever enough, you see :emo:
Original post by BlueAurora
Why the neg? I simply said I'm worried because the way everyone here and the people at school go on about it, I have little chance of getting in anywhere, wherever I apply. I'm not trying to sound superior or obnoxious at all.

TSR is usually full of really a) geniuses b) people who chat sh*t about their grades- either way you shouldnt worry about what everyone else is getting.

Its perfectly possible to get offers without being a genius...I tend to ask my self the question: 'What makes me more suited to this course that the 14 other people that are fighting for this spot' and that suitability should be reflected in your Personal Statement, referene and predicted grades. Dont let what people from the Internet or at School think change what you want to do!

EDIT: Just reread your post- Ah thats why you're getting the negs :rolleyes: Your GCSE and AS and Predicted grades are fine for any uni. Stop worrying.
(edited 12 years ago)

Your grades and predictions are perfect, did you get 90%+ average over your top 3 AS levels.

It does look like you're trolling with those results though...
EDIT: Just reread your post- Ah thats why you're getting the negs :rolleyes: Your GCSE and AS and Predicted grades are fine for any uni. Stop worrying.

Not true, I know a girl who got A*A*AA and didn't get a place on the course she wanted. Scary, no?
Hello everyone,

Thanks guys xxxxx

I'll have to be really cliched/unhelpful: go for the one you enjoy most. I'd hate to do a subject that I dont necessarily enjoy just cos one Uni may like me a little more

Welcome btw :hi:
Reply 2577
All but Cambridge :h:

Im not clever enough, you see :emo:

Haha Cambridge is just the risky and unrealistic one for me, but I still want to apply :colondollar:
I'd be more tha happy to get an offer from any of the other unis :h:
Not true, I know a girl who got A*A*AA and didn't get a place on the course she wanted. Scary, no?

They are fine for any uni. I didnt say you would get an offer.

My advice: try not to be that girl.
Original post by zaina94
Haha Cambridge is just the risky and unrealistic one for me, but I still want to apply :colondollar:
I'd be more tha happy to get an offer from any of the other unis :h:

Same goes for me and UCL. I'd love to study at So'ton/LSE and especially at Notts/Bristol

Latest

Trending

Trending