The Student Room Group

How long did it take you to make good friends at uni?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I lost the numbers of all my best friends! T_T.
Reply 21
Original post by GildedButterfly
Ive just started my course, and i seem to be struggling to make connections with people.....i feel as though im not interesting enough to hold a conversation properly, does any one else feel the same? and how long would you say it took you to develop solid friendships? please any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. x

yes! I'm in the same position as you, OP. I met people in fresher's week and exchanged lots of numbers and there are a few people that I got to know a bit better. but after our couse started I haven't seen them at all. they are busy with their course and I'm busy with mine. when I talk to people on my course, all they want to talk about is how much they drank last night. I'm not a heavy drinker so when I move the topic on to something else they seem to lose interest. I am a bit of a nerd but I do like to socilaise but I haven't met others like me. how do acquaintences turn into friendships? I guess it will just take time. slowly we will get to know others in our classes and our flatmates better and find similar like minded people. :smile:
Original post by j2s0n
I'm also friendless. Also normal issueless and blah blah blah. :dontknow:

:hugs:

Original post by SoulfulBoy
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Which uni you study at?

I know, I know... :biggrin:

I'm at Oxford. And the people are really nice actually, I guess I'm just awkward.

Same im shy, did you go out alot on freshers?

I tried to, but it was all geared towards clubbing, which I don't honestly find that interesting. I think what you have to do is not make my mistake and stay in your room most of the time (I didn't at first, but it just kind of happened). I don't know if it works, but the worst thing you can do is isolate yourself because then friendships never get a chance. Hope it goes well for you this year. :smile:
Reply 23
I didn't really consider any of my course mates or flat mates friends till around Christmas. Chill.
Original post by Octohedral
:hugs:

I know, I know... :biggrin:

I'm at Oxford. And the people are really nice actually, I guess I'm just awkward.

I wish I was in Oxford. I could be your friend. :smile:
I am exactly the same as you, but then again it's only been a week for me. Friendships take a while to build and you will just have to step out of your comfort zone by making an extra effort with your classmates, inviting yourself to you with them for coffee/a bar etc.
I think it will take a couple of months, by christmas.
Reply 26
Just curious. Did all you people not have to make new friends at College?
Reply 27
Original post by j2s0n
Just curious. Did all you people not have to make new friends at College?

I went straight into Sixth Form with the same friends so no, I've basically had the same friend group since Year 7 with the odd loss or addition every now and then so it is a bit strange to suddenly have to find a whole new group of people
Reply 28
When i see people like me on here, im just thinking WHERE ARE YOU?? IM OMW.
Normal guy, a little shy but i do my part to get accquainted but I only have the "You know my name so ill sit next to you in lectures".
Seminars have less people in it so im hoping i get to meet a few people that way.
Reply 29
Original post by k3ro
I used to be pretty shy, and I don't go out drinking much, but I managed to make a lot of friends. It's kinda calmed down now and I hang around with the same 10-12 people. I met them all on the first day I got here; one was my flatmate, one has since moved into my flat, and the others I met at a welcome party thing.

So how did you go about making into proper friends once you'd met them?
just smile and say hello and gradually make new friends
join clubs and societies
Reply 31
Whether someone is going to be a good friend is hard to say, especially as some people may betray you even after decades of relationship.

I am here the second week and I think I've made a few friends so far.
Reply 32
Ive just gone into my second year of college and to be honest i havent really made many 'close' friend from theres. It doesnt matter as much to me as i still have a pretty tight knit friendship group from high school and i like to think i am reasonably popular, i mean I still have alot of people that i can talk to that i have met through college im just not that close if you know what i mean? anyway ive been kinda counting on thinking 'oh well as long as you still have enough mates from high school you can always make more at uni'. Anybody else like that? Because i definately think that i am becoming a bit less shy and really looking forward to uni and meeting new mates etc.
Reply 33
I'm in my second year and there's probably only about 6 people I genuinely like who I've met since the first year. I'm a shy person but I'm someone who bites the bullet makes an attempt at socializing and initiating conversations with new people but the amount of fake, phony, stuck-up and arrogant people at uni is shocking and makes it difficult to find friends.
I wish I was in Oxford. I could be your friend. :smile:

Thanks, that's really nice of you :redface:

Let's both try to make friends with people at uni this year...
Reply 35
Ive just started my course, and i seem to be struggling to make connections with people.....i feel as though im not interesting enough to hold a conversation properly, does any one else feel the same? and how long would you say it took you to develop solid friendships? please any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. x

I just done 3 weeks including freshers, i've pretty cool with everyone on my course, just when you have the opportunity,go lunch with them and talk to them.
im going into week 3 with a great group of people i met during the first few days. Although, i am VERY lucky!! Especially since i live quite far from campus so i didnt get to do any evening freshers stuff. still though, everyone is different and even if some people dont make any 'real' friends at uni, there will always be more opportunities in the future :smile:
Original post by Octohedral
Thanks, that's really nice of you :redface:

Let's both try to make friends with people at uni this year...

I have friends already. :smile:
The people I partied with on the first night are still some of my best friends, in fact I met my boyfriend on the very first day of uni, moving in day, and now we are living together and have just celebrated our 1 year anniversary.
I have friends already. :smile:

Okay, just me then. Thanks anyway. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending