The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

On the SAQ where they ask "Does your school/college provide any extra lessons to support preparation for STEP or the Advanced Extension Award (AEA) in Mathematics?"

I'm worried if I say yes, they'll make me take it... :afraid:
Reply 3861
Original post by blink18254
On the SAQ where they ask "Does your school/college provide any extra lessons to support preparation for STEP or the Advanced Extension Award (AEA) in Mathematics?"

I'm worried if I say yes, they'll make me take it... :afraid:

I just ignored that question as STEP isn't relevant to Economics!
Original post by Acerbic
What would you lot recommend for "safer" unis to apply to? (My other options are Cam, UCL, and Warwick)

Yeah as the other person said: Notts, Bath, Durham, Bristol etc. or if you want safer: York, Birmingham :smile:
Original post by Groat

Thanks! I'll do that too then... *relieved*:biggrin:
Original post by blink18254
It depends on your grades. I'd say Southampton, York or Birmingham?
Seeing your other options, I'd guess and say you've got good (amazing) grades? :smile:
So, maybe consider Bristol, Nottingham or Bath in addition to those?

I'd say choose one from Bristol/Notts/Bath and one from Soton/York? or 2 from the first 3 if you want to risk it? They are "safer" unis as you asked for (safer than your other choices) but not the safest, they are pretty competitive.

Ah, thanks. I was thinking Nottingham and York. Good luck with your application!
this wait for offers is killing me!?:eek3: :eek4:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3866
Original post by funkydee
this wait for offers is killing me!?:eek3: :eek4:

:afraid:
Reply 3867
Original post by Tateco
:afraid:

Lol it's only been a few days for you right?! I don't expect to hear anything until at least first couple of weeks of November. Maybe I'm just pessimistic?

Random question Tateco, but do you pronounce your username Tat-uh-co or Tate-co? I've always read it as the first but then realised the other day maybe the latter? :colondollar:
Original post by Trizzle
Lol it's only been a few days for you right?! I don't expect to hear anything until at least first couple of weeks of November. Maybe I'm just pessimistic?

Random question Tateco, but do you pronounce your username Tat-uh-co or Tate-co? I've always read it as the first but then realised the other day maybe the latter? :colondollar:

10 ppl in my year have got an offer so far already :confused: none for econ yet! but nottingham gave someone an offer to someone in my school (unrelated subject) already and i applied there!? havent even got an acknowledgment -___-
Reply 3869
Original post by funkydee
10 ppl in my year have got an offer so far already :confused: none for econ yet! but nottingham gave someone an offer to someone in my school (unrelated subject) already and i applied there!? havent even got an acknowledgment -___-

I think the best thing is to see your application in isolation, rather than thinking about people applying to the same university (or course) . You'll get responses eventually!

Just had an LSE acknowledgement, so they are giving them out. :u:
Funkydee what school do you go ?
Reply 3871
Original post by Trizzle

Yeah my UCAS was sent off yesterday :wink:

Good question, In my head I pronounce it Tat-eh-co and that's how I think it should be said, the second one sounds weird :tongue:
Original post by Tremmel Smith
Funkydee what school do you go ?

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3873
Original post by Tateco
Yeah my UCAS was sent off yesterday :wink:

Good question, In my head I pronounce it Tat-eh-co and that's how I think it should be said, the second one sounds weird :tongue:

Well I've been saying it completely wrong then. :colondollar:
Original post by Groat

^ This. Not that I say it out loud or anything when I read your posts.... :tongue:
i'm gonna be sending off my application soon like the rest of you, but i don't have A level mathematics and i know this is a big disadvantage, so i wont be applying for top unis. I have AAB at AS, with As in Economics and Psychology and a B in Geography. I will be predicted between A*AA and AAA.

My current choices are Surrey AAA-AAB, Sussex AAB-ABB, Kent ABB and i'm not sure about the last 2. I can obviously only choose out of those unis which don't require a level maths, do any of you have realistic ideas?
much appreciated.
Original post by Groat

Original post by jamiepango
^ This. Not that I say it out loud or anything when I read your posts.... :tongue:

:rofl:
I thought it was 'Tat-te-co'

:ahee:
Original post by Groat

I heard from some one, not entirely sure on this, that downing may give an offer based on STEP. I emailed them on the issue and didn't receive a reply.

If anyone hasn't filled out their SAQ, I would advise them to answer their questions and not ignore them, even if they seem irrelevant. Perhaps they asked this to indirectly find out how much extra support your school gives so they can see what applicants come form a supportive school (those who offer STEP help) and those who come from a less supportive school (those who don't offer STEP).
Original post by economyst
I heard from some one, not entirely sure on this, that downing may give an offer based on STEP. I emailed them on the issue and didn't receive a reply.

If anyone hasn't filled out their SAQ, I would advise them to answer their questions and not ignore them, even if they seem irrelevant. Perhaps they asked this to indirectly find out how much extra support your school gives so they can see what applicants come form a supportive school (those who offer STEP help) and those who come from a less supportive school (those who don't offer STEP).

If they do, then the Director of Studies completely neglected to mention it on the open day. I read about a college that do give out STEP offers for economics - but not Downing.

Latest

Trending

Trending