The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DylanLJG
Hmmm... You sure we didn't go to the same school. Sounds alot like mine. :rolleyes:

Do they have a website?

lol. i am not from london like you. even though they might sound similar. we had a new head teacher that tried to introduce a proper school uniform from the jackets and track suits we wore!
Original post by Wa 007
haha sorry my bad i meant *good writing skills

k thanks
Original post by ...mo...
lol. i am not from london like you. even though they might sound similar. we had a new head teacher that tried to introduce a proper school uniform from the jackets and track suits we wore!

Ha! Same at my school. We got a new headteacher who changed the name and the uniform to blazer & tie etc. She kicked out loads of kids and made BTECs compulsory :angry:. It actually is improving now, pass rates have gone from 11% to 60% in five years! :smile:
Reply 4123
Im considering applying for Economics L100 at UCL and on their prospectus it states that a C in a modern language at GCSE is required. However, after this it says 'For students who do not have a Modern Language GCSE UCL will provide opportunities to meet the language requirement once enrolled at UCL.' I never took a GCSE in a modern language and so I dont have a grade C in a language. Would you say that it would be a wasted application for me if I did apply there or is it not much of a big deal?
Original post by mattj94
Im considering applying for Economics L100 at UCL and on their prospectus it states that a C in a modern language at GCSE is required. However, after this it says 'For students who do not have a Modern Language GCSE UCL will provide opportunities to meet the language requirement once enrolled at UCL.' I never took a GCSE in a modern language and so I dont have a grade C in a language. Would you say that it would be a wasted application for me if I did apply there or is it not much of a big deal?

I never realised this? :s-smilie::s-smilie:

Why do you think they ask for a C at a modern foreign language? :confused:
Reply 4125
Original post by WalkerPrince
I never realised this? :s-smilie::s-smilie:

Why do you think they ask for a C at a modern foreign language? :confused:

See 'Entry Requirements & Application' http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate-study/degrees/ugprogs/UBEECOSING05
Reply 4126
Original post by mattj94

If your school didn't offer a modern foreign language at GCSE, it isn't a big deal. Otherwise, I would strongly advise you to email them and ask, as subject area admissions tutors are the ones who make the decisions, so it can vary from subject area to subject area.

Another poster asked why they are asking for this, the answer is I don't know; I can't see why it would be a requirement for most courses (e.g how would it help someone studying Physics)
Original post by mattj94

Original post by mattj94

Email them for clarification I guess, it is a strange requirement. It does sound like it won't be a problem though as it does say that you can fulfil the requirement when you enrol.
Original post by FDR

Another poster asked why they are asking for this, the answer is I don't know; I can't see why it would be a requirement for most courses (e.g how would it help someone studying Physics)

My school tells me it's because ucl believes A language is suh a good skill/ having said that my head a sixth form is my French teacher :tongue:
Reply 4129

Thanks for the comments FDR and Pancakeman123. My school did offer a modern language at GCSE, but I chose against it. I will email them tomorrow.
Original post by mattj94
Thanks for the comments FDR and Pancakeman123. My school did offer a modern language at GCSE, but I chose against it. I will email them tomorrow.

They make provisions for students without, so I guess maybe you have to do some beginner/starter lessons in a language.
Original post by DylanLJG
Ha! Same at my school. We got a new headteacher who changed the name and the uniform to blazer & tie etc. She kicked out loads of kids and made BTECs compulsory :angry:. It actually is improving now, pass rates have gone from 11% to 60% in five years! :smile:

wow that is a big jump. how can i find out my pass rate
Original post by ...mo...
wow that is a big jump. how can i find out my pass rate

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/interactive/2011/jan/12/gcse-alevel-league-tables

Just look up your area, find your school and it should tell you the pass rate. :biggrin:
Reply 4135
Hi guys!

Sorry for being off-topic, but I've a question and I think you can answer it. When will the "Economics Applicant Thread UCAS 2013" start? I see this was started in March, but I don't know if there was any other, before it.

Good luck with your applications!
Original post by aalex

Original post by aalex
Hi guys!

Sorry for being off-topic, but I've a question and I think you can answer it. When will the "Economics Applicant Thread UCAS 2013" start? I see this was started in March, but I don't know if there was any other, before it.

I was gonna start one in jan after exams (well probably have some indication of how they went so hbe sth to talk about) or in March like this one which is after results come out
I can do it now though if you want I know there are some others

thanks. i found my school. What % does it need to be underachieving?
Reply 4139
Original post by aalex
Hi guys!

I'm sure people wouldn't get too annoyed if you chatted about it on here for a bit.

Latest

Trending

Trending