The Student Room Group

just over a month in and i already hate uni, is this normal? :/

the uni i go to is great, theres nothing wrong with it, people are great, lecturers seem pretty nice etc.
But i still find myself absolutely hating it, i hate the work i get given and have no motivation/interest in doing it. I find myself just sat staring into nowhere during lectures because i'm so bored, the course i'm doing is linked to a subject i did at A level, i loved it at school but i just have no interest in it anymore. I took a year out and worked so i'm so used to not doing anything learning related, i just feel if i dropped out i'd be letting myself/everyone down and i'd stand no chance of getting a decent job. :frown:
Is this normal ? or does everyone else really like their course and not mind the work?

Oh, and this is absolutely nothing to do with being homesick, i live at home and i've still managed to make a ton of friends at the uni who let me stop in their halls loads, so i'm happy with the social side, i just really loathe the work and can't see myself coping with being this miserable for the next 4 years :confused:
Reply 1
Lecturers at uni usually have bigger fish to fry, so teaching is not up to scratch at all, mostly death by powerpoint. You have to accept that lectures can and will be mostly **** and hopefully if you self-study (he says, procrastinating as we speak) you will rediscover some of your thrall.

The work is usually pretty banal too, in my language classes in particular all the topics are really boring. I find that when I'm doing the work that's been set I tend to go above and beyond if I'm interested, just on Wikipedia or whatever - give this a go. Remember that the set work is the bare minimum really. It's all about self-study.
Reply 2
Original post by emlou19
the uni i go to is great, theres nothing wrong with it, people are great, lecturers seem pretty nice etc.
But i still find myself absolutely hating it, i hate the work i get given and have no motivation/interest in doing it. I find myself just sat staring into nowhere during lectures because i'm so bored, the course i'm doing is linked to a subject i did at A level, i loved it at school but i just have no interest in it anymore. I took a year out and worked so i'm so used to not doing anything learning related, i just feel if i dropped out i'd be letting myself/everyone down and i'd stand no chance of getting a decent job. :frown:
Is this normal ? or does everyone else really like their course and not mind the work?

Oh, and this is absolutely nothing to do with being homesick, i live at home and i've still managed to make a ton of friends at the uni who let me stop in their halls loads, so i'm happy with the social side, i just really loathe the work and can't see myself coping with being this miserable for the next 4 years :confused:

I know exactly how you feel!
I'm also currently debating whether I should drop out, I mean I love the uni, it's such a lovely place, but whenever anyone asks about uni all I have to say is 'it's alriiight'.
I just can't seem to be bothered to do the work, and I don't really enjoy the course that much, it's ok but I never really had a passion for it at A level either.

I also live at home, don't really go out that much but have made a few really good friends. I am literally just doing this whole uni thing for the piece of paper at the end, I'm just trying to figure out whether it's worth it and what I could do if I did drop out.

I'm afraid I don't really have any advice really, I was just letting you know that you aren't the only one, as I am in a very similar situation! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by misht
I know exactly how you feel!
I'm also currently debating whether I should drop out, I mean I love the uni, it's such a lovely place, but whenever anyone asks about uni all I have to say is 'it's alriiight'.
I just can't seem to be bothered to do the work, and I don't really enjoy the course that much, it's ok but I never really had a passion for it at A level either.

I also live at home, don't really go out that much but have made a few really good friends. I am literally just doing this whole uni thing for the piece of paper at the end, I'm just trying to figure out whether it's worth it and what I could do if I did drop out.

I'm afraid I don't really have any advice really, I was just letting you know that you aren't the only one, as I am in a very similar situation! :smile:

All three of us in the same boat! :frown:
Meant to be working for a test tomorrow but keep putting it off. I have absolutely no interest in my course!

I'm living at home too
Noticing a trend here....

What are you both studying?
Reply 4
Original post by AzureMews
All three of us in the same boat! :frown:
Meant to be working for a test tomorrow but keep putting it off. I have absolutely no interest in my course!

I'm living at home too
Noticing a trend here....

What are you both studying?

Yes, there does seem to be a trend! I do English, what about you?
I wouldn't say I have no interest in my course, I really enjoy the creative writing part, but that is only one module. I enjoy reading the books, it's just the rest I don't like!

I have been looking online for jobs but I don't know what I want to do which is another problem! Do you know what you're going to do yet? :smile:
Reply 5
why the hell have people took degrees they have no interest in? i love my course
Reply 6
Original post by emlou19

OP- If you enjoy the actual university itself, but are not sure about the course could you not look into changing course? I know a couple of people who swapped from what they were originally doing to something else (although still a similar subject, so no-one swapped from like maths to music, but rather from geography to international development).

Maybe speak to your personal tutor about it and weigh up all your options before dropping out completely.
Reply 7
Original post by james1211
why the hell have people took degrees they have no interest in? i love my course

We didn't apply for our courses thinking "Oh I probably won't like this, but what the heck!"
I was looking forward to starting just as everyone else was

Original post by misht
Yes, there does seem to be a trend! I do English, what about you?
I wouldn't say I have no interest in my course, I really enjoy the creative writing part, but that is only one module. I enjoy reading the books, it's just the rest I don't like!

I have been looking online for jobs but I don't know what I want to do which is another problem! Do you know what you're going to do yet? :smile:

I'm doing Computer Science
I know what you mean there are little bits I like as well... It's just most of it!

Not a clue what I'm going to do yet to be honest
Reply 8
I'm living at home as well and I hate my course. I'm studying Psychology but really wish I'd done English.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending